Diad 6

Hello everyone, I have no idea how many of you are using the new diad 6 coming down the pipeline, but I have questions/concerns/complaints.

So now that it’s peak season my center gets to learn the new the brand new diad 6. Not only is more fragile than ever, it’s rather slow. My route is about 70% - 30% business/resi split, with post office deliveries and a UPS pickup. I can do the route blindfolded with the diad 5, 450 packages in 8-9 hours would be scratch.

However… the new diad is very slow. Its’ touch screen tech is very modern looking with a cool Interface is neat, but not necessary.
Before, I could press big arrow down 4 times and see my next 24 stops, now it takes a scroll on a laggy new display. Before, I could quickly deliver business with a CV signature, now I take extra steps no matter what to accomplish the same thing.
Before, I could scan/dr a resi and stop complete in 4 seconds, now it takes about 10 (not good in fast pace apartments).
Before, I could use gloves to utilize every part of the device, now cannot. I live in a cold climate, so not using gloves is not an option 6 months out of the year.
Before, diad didnt freeze often, now it does 4 times a day. Very frustrating when trying to haul a** and attempt minimal over allow (I criticize my own numbers).

Everything use to be simple, clean, fast, efficient, easy, use friendly, but I feel its all gone. I have a lot of learning/training on the new board, but can already move faster than it can process stops.

PPH_over_9000

How can I Improve.

Short answer? You can't.

You said it yourself: you move faster than the DIAD processes. UPS demands you use the technology, however, so that leaves one option: slow down and match the pace of the DIAD.

If you're struggling with finding button shortcuts, well... best answer here is trial and error. They rolled out this piece of technology with close to 0 training (big surprise there) and we're all learning as we work. The way the new DIAD's are being implemented pretty much guarantee a decline in efficiency.

That said, not all the changes are as bad as you're going to make them out to be when you first encounter them. There are a lot of good ideas built into the DIAD 6, but it's Achilles' heel is it's slow processing speed and it's susceptibility to crashes and freezes.

Also, you're going to be cursing your IT admin left and right over the next few weeks. I still haven't figured out if that's a person or a program but they/it accounts for >90% of my freezes.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
If the diad is going excessively slow, you might have to reboot it. That tends to help for a while. Other than that, just get used to it. It will slow down your day a bit. Just accept the new normal and move on.

Overpaid Union Thug

It’s not all that slow unless you’re a runner/gunner. And using the touch screen is a breeze once your used to it. But it’s possible to use the keyboard for many things instead.

Many centers are using the DIAD 6 earlier than planned because there aren’t enough 5s so the software apparently isn’t all there yet. Ours only uses Google maps for navigation and it doesn’t include our own “snaps” so allot of newer drivers are having trouble finding certain rural stops. LOL. For those of us with more area knowledge and experience as old school drivers, that is not an issue.

I suggest relying on the touchscreen first before trying the keyboard “shortcuts.” And if you end up using one without the correct cradle in the truck it’s no big deal. It doesn’t need one so just put in it a cup holder. The 6’s cradle is only a mount and charger for us right now. These are new so the batteries should last all day unless you have the screen on in navigation all day. Try using the “map” instead and only for stops you’re having trouble finding at night.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm sure the suit monkeys who designed diad 6 took constructive input from drivers on the front line before implementing.

rlqPhaK1wtp6.gif

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Been on the six here for a month or so. It’s one of those things that you’ll get used to eventually. Like a lot of earlier posters said, if you’re a runner you’ll hate it, but it works well enough for a regular pace even with a helper on car once you get used to it. Don’t sweat the things out of your control, stay calm and get paid.

Overpaid Union Thug

Been on the six here for a month or so. It’s one of those things that you’ll get used to eventually. Like a lot of earlier posters said, if you’re a runner you’ll hate it, but it works well enough for a regular pace even with a helper on car once you get used to it. Don’t sweat the things out of your control, stay calm and get paid.
Does yours load navigation when you put it in the cradle? Ours doesn’t. Just turns on the “list” view.