Did DHL just cut and run?

david cassin

dublinbrown
i do also feel sorry for the employees,but the company and their mgmt were too smug,i have to laugh now at the ad thats posted here.i knew they wouldn't last the pace.one big mistake they made was buy exel with their overpriced 6 billion so that nobody else would bother to bid..who is laughing now..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
i do also feel sorry for the employees,but the company and their mgmt were too smug,i have to laugh now at the ad thats posted here.i knew they wouldn't last the pace.one big mistake they made was buy exel with their overpriced 6 billion so that nobody else would bother to bid..who is laughing now..

david, do you see dhl weakening in europe also???

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
This is where DHL ended up......

mvc007s3no.jpg
mvc007s3no.jpg

tieguy

Banned
I feel bad for the drivers, but those commercials were arrogant. I think UPS/fedex should team up for a superbowl commerical together showing DHL with their tails between there legs. Oops, I forgot, UPS advertising cost can afford nothing more than a guy and a whiteboard.

the hippie with the whiteboard might be the guy that put DHL under. Supposedly its our most successful advertising campaign ever.

P

pickup

the hippie with the whiteboard might be the guy that put DHL under. Supposedly its our most successful advertising campaign ever.

your comment started me to think . I did some research and found that a german company by the name of deutsche post was buying shares of company in 98, achieved majority ownership in 2001 and finalized arrangement in 2002. Being a german company, all revenues after costs must translate in the home currency, which in this case is the euro. The euro has increased in value relative to the dollar over the years . So an example of how this can screw a company like deutsche is that assuming their dollar revenue is constant (same) year to year , from their dhl operation but the dollar loses value: it means less euros coming in. I tried to do the research but couldn't get it but I do believe the dollar took a beating relative to the euro as over the last seven years with the dollars losing approximately 30 percent of its value relative to the euro , in the time from deutsche becoming the majority owner until now. In my simple example, dhl would have to do a lot to overcome a 30 differential (compared to 2001) when converting to the home currency of the euro. So perhaps, the devaluation of the american dollar can be blamed for dhl's demise. Any economists out there?

metrophillyslub

while it may be true this ad campaign has been extremely successful make no mistake about it , service and the ability to deliver on what we promise was what put dhl to sleep. no one does it like us. no one!

Big Babooba

while it may be true this ad campaign has been extremely successful make no mistake about it , service and the ability to deliver on what we promise was what put dhl to sleep. no one does it like us. no one!
Nobody does it better
Makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody does it half as good as us
Baby, we're the best
(sorry Marvin)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can remember management giving us a big lecture before the '02 contract about how DHL had such a "huge non-union cost advantage" and that they would probably taking 1/3 of our volume and costing a bunch of us our jobs due to our inability to "compete". I guess their "non-union cost advantage" didnt work out after all.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Just watched the 60 minutes special concerning DHL's closing of the Airpark in Wilmington,OH. . Even though we are competitors, are hearts go out to the familys facing hardship.