Did I hear what i think I just heard???

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tuesday a driver in my center was hit by a car who in the words of the center manager "blew thru the stop sign' of an intersection. The Package car driver was judged by the police not to be at fault,and the individual who 'blew thru the stop sign' was ticketed and found to be at fault.
The Package Car Driver has been taken off the road 'pending an investigation' , was charged with a Tier Three Accident and we had to spend our PCM figuring out the best way the Package Car Driver could have avoided the accident..............I thought 'Call in sick' was the best answer
I usually say I cold have stayed home, same thing, they dont like it but sometimes that would be the only way to avoid an accident!

I found it quite amusing yesterday when I showed up to work and our so-called "safety committee" was standing at a table and handing out bananas and water bottles as part of their "high blood pressure awareness campaign."

We have drivers being OJS'd and issued warning and suspension letters over bogus "methods" violations as part of the company's new push on production. Routes are being eliminated, forced overtime is on the increase, and production harassment is continous and ongoing. But rather than holding the company accountable for its role in workplace stress---which is a key factor in high blood pressure---our "safety committee" stands around and hands out bananas.
Makes sense: they think we're monkeys.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
soberups,

Have you notified the head of your local, in writing, about how you feel about your safety committee?

Sincerely,
I

I have discussed it with my BA.

There is nothing in the contract that prohibits the company from having members of a "safety committee" stand around a table distributing fruit. And the 1 or 2 days per week that our "safety committee" co-chair spends in the office shuffling papers and coloring posters means 1 or 2 days of full-time driving work for an hourly who would otherwise be working part time at a lower pay rate.

The contract requires the company to create safety committees. It does not require that those committees ever accomplish anything.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have discussed it with my BA.

There is nothing in the contract that prohibits the company from having members of a "safety committee" stand around a table distributing fruit. And the 1 or 2 days per week that our "safety committee" co-chair spends in the office shuffling papers and coloring posters means 1 or 2 days of full-time driving work for an hourly who would otherwise be working part time at a lower pay rate.

The contract requires the company to create safety committees. It does not require that those committees ever accomplish anything.
soberups,

This is not true.

The contract says that if the committee is unable to resolve a concern using the union approved process then the issue should be subjected to the grievance procedure.

Have you ever filed a written grievance to the National UPS/IBT Safety and Health Grievance Committee?

Have you ever shared your feelings, in writing, with the IBT Director of Safety and Health?

Sincerely,
I

DS

Fenderbender

slantnosechevy

Having safety committees is a good thing. Unfortunately, sometimes they recruit employees who have had a few too many accidents or injuries. THEY HAVE NO CREDIBILITY. No one wants to listen to idiots who cheat and run under. Much like politics and management, you just can't get the good ones who could make a difference by commanding respect from their peers, to take the job. Thankfully, in our bldg. we have a large majority of veteran drivers with 20+ years of safe driving on the committee. They run scratch or over allowed and have no injuries. When they put on presentations people listen and actually learn something. They've done it all and the young guys seem to listen to what they say. I don't see them jacking around with phones or other drivers. Accidents are down in our bldg. Overallowed is up.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
At least you get Bananas. Down here for wellness Wednesday's, feeder drivers don't get a damn thing. Part timers, package drivers, they all get breakfast bars or fruit of some kind.

You have a position in this company that is one of the most secured right now...there isnt nearly the hostile work environment in feeders that there is inside the hub and with pc drivers....If you want that banana, then we can trade jobs.......

brownboxman

I found it quite amusing yesterday when I showed up to work and our so-called "safety committee" was standing at a table and handing out bananas and water bottles as part of their "high blood pressure awareness campaign."

We have drivers being OJS'd and issued warning and suspension letters over bogus "methods" violations as part of the company's new push on production. Routes are being eliminated, forced overtime is on the increase, and production harassment is continous and ongoing. But rather than holding the company accountable for its role in workplace stress---which is a key factor in high blood pressure---our "safety committee" stands around and hands out bananas.
I am in a center 30 miles to the south of Sobers, the same conditions are there.Remember the famous question on the ERI, "Would you recommend UPS as a place to work?"

menotyou

bella amicizia
I haven't seen an ERI in years. Wasn't it before the big push to get the stock price closer to FedEx's? Naw, that can't be it.:wink2:

soberups

I am in a center 30 miles to the south of Sobers, the same conditions are there.Remember the famous question on the ERI, "Would you recommend UPS as a place to work?"

You have the same Division Manager that I do, they just sent him up from San Diego to bust some balls. A real winner. Next time you are out delivering at 7:30 at night, just say to your self..."I'm having a Goodall day."

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Originally Posted by anonymous
If you knew the ten point commentary verbatim you wouldn't have these problems in your center. What are the eight keys to lifting and lowering.

Oh yeah 407...knowing thats going to prevent an accident! You got all the answers. Too bad one of the heads of our safety commitee who knows the DOK inside and out had an accident a month ago. You should go into upper management,you'll fit right in.

Is that a no??? 2 the 10 points and 8 keys???

Chill dude, He was being sarcastic. LoL. :peaceful:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
No matter how much evidence there is that the driver had no fault in the accident, UPS will go out of their way to blame him anyhow.

Makes you proud to be an employee, doesn't it......

I wonder, has anyone "driver" ever taken UPS to court with the arguement that according to the real authorities "Police" that the accident wasn't avoidable. I don't think you even need a union for that and if I was ever in that position and fired I would SUE the crap out of UPS. I would use every act including deplemation of character, and if the court ruling was a small sum then I would fight it in court for my job back.

It doesn't matter if you are in an "job at will State" cause contract with union is a CONTRACT agreed by both parties and contracts are LEGALLY BINDING.

How bout another class action lawsuite, calling all ups driver victims to team up in a suite to stop this madness. Somebodies gotta be sitting out there fired from UPS just needing a little push through his thoughts.

brownboxman

You have the same Division Manager that I do, they just sent him up from San Diego to bust some balls. A real winner. Next time you are out delivering at 7:30 at night, just say to your self..."I'm having a Goodall day."
Yeah I met Allen, very high opinion of himself. It's going to be a long year.

soberups

Yeah I met Allen, very high opinion of himself. It's going to be a long year.

Its going to be a long year for him. We have a strong union presence in our building, and our Business Agent is like a pit bull on meth when things start getting ugly. Guys like A.G. wind up doing us a favor, because the harassment and excessive overtime causes drivers who could otherwise care less about the union to start getting aware and involved.

OptimusPrime

These free handouts blow my mind. For one, seems half the employees are unfed savages, clamoring for any thing the company wants to pass.

Then with some of them, they want you to recite some safety rule. Like we are dogs who need to do a trick before we get our treat. I'm damn near 30 years old and find that condescending, almost embarrassing.

And lastly, how much does this crap cost?