Did you think it thru when you retired?

InsideUPS

And what if a comet strikes the Earth the day before you planned on retiring? No guarantees in life. I too have been reconsidering retirement. Having too much fun working.

Amen to that PT Car Washer ;-)

We have several PT employees in the building (2 females) that are now over 70.5 y.o.. (Clerks) They are both currently working while collecting their pension (mandatory payout at 70.5), social security, and their regular wages (red circled @$37+/hour). They have the UPS "Cadillac" health plan and therefore do not need to pay for Medicare and a plan for supplemental health coverage. They now both have a total income in the range of $80K to $100K per year. One works more than the other. They both actually enjoy coming to work FWIW. For a PT job that only takes 3.5 to 5 hours of your day and pays you to take off nearly two months of the year, its not a bad deal for some. Each one of us lives and dies differently and therefore there is no one retirement plan that fits all.

As for myself, those two "young" ladies have been my inspiration in that I am approximately 5 years younger than them (41 years and counting for me). Fortunately, I have never had to give my entire life to UPS as many FT on this forum have done. I totally understand why FT employees would want to start a new chapter of their life before they reach that last page in their book. Watching and being involved in the "New UPS" working only 3.5 to 4 hours a day for me is certainly entertaining at times, especially when you're collecting social security, have great benefits, and don't really need to be there if you don't want to.

Shiftless

Everyone should work as long as possible!

I worked as short as possible!

So that will make everything "Even Steven" in the grand scheme of things!

Comforting to know people Love to Work! Makes me sleep real good at night! Helps me smell the roses for what they are! And the color looking thru my glasses is unbelievable since I retired!

Ya just gotta Love CHOICES!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
To all Union UPSers, since no one knows just what curves the future will throw at you, always get your Union Withdrawal Card when retiring. My older brother after he retired from his Corporate job ended up driving the elderly to doctor's appointments thru a Union company. Kept him busy during the winter months.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I had it easy moving from a working life to one in retirement. I worked my last preload in March , had foot surgery that same day and spent 6 months out on disability. I timed it out just right I got my last disability check on the last day in September and my pension start the next day October 1st. Retired at age 60 with 39 years in. Early Retirement ( prior to age 62 ) provided me with an $1,000 / month and I was able to stay on the Union health Plan for four months. { I'm making more money per year to stay home. }

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I received my retirement papers yesterday.I am filling them out and sending them back immediately. Just 1 more punch and six weeks of vacation.Pension payments will start July 1st. It is all good and I owe thanks to the rank and file; the brothers and sisters of the IBT who negotiated the great contracts that allowed me to work a part time job with wonderful pay and benefits. Where else could you collect a pension from a part time job !

Shiftless

Virtually NO WHERE!

Congratulations! You have earned this!

I write this all the time. Get Busy or Die!
Don't be that guy who sits down and goofs on a couch and in short order is gone!

ENJOY what you spent all those years to get to this point! It's AMAZING!

PT Car Washer

Virtually NO WHERE!

Don't be that guy who sits down and goofs on a couch and in short order is gone!

Very sound advice. I guess that is why I enjoy getting up in the morning to go off to work. The job is not that hard.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Virtually NO WHERE!

The fishing poles and the golf clubs are calling to me from the garage.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
retirement sucks!!!!!!

regret retiring. should have worked another 12 years to max out my SS.

work as long as you can. you only have one work life.
But you’re a millionaire who makes more fixing up trinkets in retirement than you did working at ups. Why would you care about SS?