Difference between an option day and personal day?

blakerben

I work in the Oklahoma City Hub and I get 28 hours for my option days plus one personal day. Is there really any difference between the two? Why not just give an extra 4 hours of option day time?

blakerben

Just wondering what’s the difference? I just found out last week that we have to give 24 hours notice before using an option day. It’s never been an issue until this year. For the last 7 years I could use an option days as long as I let my supervisor know a couple hours ahead of start time. Now, this year, I was told I couldn’t use an option day last Friday because I didn’t give 24 hour notice. I understand if that’s the policy, the question I have is do I have to give the same 24 hour notice for the personal day?

CoolStoryBro

Just wondering what’s the difference? I just found out last week that we have to give 24 hours notice before using an option day. It’s never been an issue until this year. For the last 7 years I could use an option days as long as I let my supervisor know a couple hours ahead of start time. Now, this year, I was told I couldn’t use an option day last Friday because I didn’t give 24 hour notice. I understand if that’s the policy, the question I have is do I have to give the same 24 hour notice for the personal day?

Ask stewart. He will probably tell you to download the UPSrising app. Or you can read the union contract. This type of thing will be explained in your supplement or rider.

These things are different all over the country. Your area will have it's own union contract that addresses your area. This is not national master level stuff.

There are no "personal" days in my local. Your local is different and you need to read your contract.

babboo25

Banned
We get 5 option days paid at 10 hours and 3 personal days paid at 8. Have to give 5 days notice hours for personal days, option days 7. You can opt to take 5 option days as a full week or split them up.

babboo25

Banned
We get 5 option days paid at 10 hours and 3 personal days paid at 8. Have to give 5 days notice hours for personal days, option days 7. You can opt to take 5 option days as a full week or split them up.
And same applies for part time except both are paid at 5 hours

blakerben

Thanks for all the info. I have the UPS Rising app and the contract book itself, but I couldn’t find anywhere in either as to the difference between the two. I will talk to my steward when I get a chance. I mean they are basically identical in use here at my hub, so I think it’s unnecessary to give them different titles. No big deal, I was just curious.

wayfair

swollen member
Thanks for all the info. I have the UPS Rising app and the contract book itself, but I couldn’t find anywhere in either as to the difference between the two. I will talk to my steward when I get a chance. I mean they are basically identical in use here at my hub, so I think it’s unnecessary to give them different titles. No big deal, I was just curious.

In OKC, all you need to do is call in an hour before start time.

blakerben

That’s what I’ve always done in the past with no problems. Just call in an hour or two before start time. But when I tried it this year my part time supervisor, which has only been a supervisor for about two months, said she thought I had to give 24 hour notice. I told her it’s never been an issue in the past. So she checked with the full time sup and she said that he said it had to be 24 hours too. I did file several grievances towards the end of last year on supervisors working. Could they just be being extra strict on me because of me filing? Last year was my first time ever filing grievances in my 8 years.