Difference between shifts at UPS?

BrownNinjaz

The only reason people think the pre-load is bad or hard is 'cause they're lazy to wake up early and to load the packages into the brown trucks since it involves a lot of walking. That's good exercise for those who don't walk at all. I've been loading packages to the trailers for 3 years and loading packages into brown trucks for 5 months and I prefer to load packages into the brown trucks! It is easier and you're not hurting yourself. Just go fast at first and then it will be breeze afterward. When I loaded packages to the trailers, the flow was rather slow, but then out of the blue, it went fast near the end which sucked. Pre-load is stressful though and you have to deal with a lot of *******s. Other than that, this shift is the best for college students because you go to bed at 9-10 PM , sleep 5-6 hours, wake up, get out and you have all day 'till your bed time!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In my building there is no midnight shift.

Preload works 4:15AM to 9:00AM (8:30 on the low end), and we unload inbound trailers, sort, and load delivery trucks.

Twilight works 4:30PM to ...9 or 10-ish? I'm not entirely sure. They unload inbound trailers (mostly amazon)/delivery trucks, sort, and load outbound trailers.

The primary difference is that if you work preload, you get the chance to load delivery trucks, rather than dealing with trailers.
I'm soooooo glad to get the chance, because loading trucks is soooo much more fun. Um, no. :surprise:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The only reason people think the pre-load is bad or hard is 'cause they're lazy to wake up early and to load the packages into the brown trucks since it involves a lot of walking. That's good exercise for those who don't walk at all. I've been loading packages to the trailers for 3 years and loading packages into brown trucks for 5 months and I prefer to load packages into the brown trucks! It is easier and you're not hurting yourself. Just go fast at first and then it will be breeze afterward. When I loaded packages to the trailers, the flow was rather slow, but then out of the blue, it went fast near the end which sucked. Pre-load is stressful though and you have to deal with a lot of *******s. Other than that, this shift is the best for college students because you go to bed at 9-10 PM , sleep 5-6 hours, wake up, get out and you have all day 'till your bed time!
Well, five months...congrats! You're the expert on preload now lol.... I wonder who's going to play u in the movie??

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Not at all, theres a ton they will do to you to make the job harder. Move stops, bulk and even move you to harder places at a whim. They could even make you float load, where you dont have any idea on how to load that area. They will find a reason to stick you in the hardest place possible and keep looking for the next thing hey can do to you. Preload, it can suck, until you find the means and will power to make it better, then they take it to the next step.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Preload = easy
twilight = easy
midnight = Hell!!

Preload and twilight are the same thing. Midnight, in my hearings are hard for like an hour then cake the rest. Preload is straight up 4 and half hours of walking sorting and loading.... and getting pissed off and hurt and falling, tripping and all the above. If you were put on preload, then they gave you a " baby truck set ", whereas it was for someone who really couldnt load a big boy set.

Theres been a lot of full time and cover drivers to load my set and others, and couldnt cut it after one night. So, I call BS on your claim to preloading, because they gave you a baby truck set.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Preload and twilight are the same thing. Midnight, in my hearings are hard for like an hour then cake the rest. Preload is straight up 4 and half hours of walking sorting and loading.... and getting pissed off and hurt and falling, tripping and all the above. If you were put on preload, then they gave you a " baby truck set ", whereas it was for someone who really couldnt load a big boy set.

Theres been a lot of full time and cover drivers to load my set and others, and couldnt cut it after one night. So, I call BS on your claim to preloading, because they gave you a baby truck set.
wtf is a "baby truck set"?? lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
hmmm....you work preload? According to your above post, you've been loading package cars for 5 months. Which i would assume is the preload shift, since twilight doesn't load pc's...that's why they're empty in the AM. My question is, if you work preload, how are you posting on BC at 5:41am? At that time, we're usually knee deep in cardboard...I barely have time to text lol. Just curious.....

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Its a set made where you cant screw up, yet it does. Less then 600 packages, often called a garbage run. Well lets say a garbage route, like one stop, then the next is across town.

Often called here as a trainng set.

The joke here is.... What do they with people that cant load the car, they make them supervisors.

Indecisi0n

baby-engineering-trucks-set-11242038075.jpg

working up a sweat

In my hub the midnight is the high volume shift. Most PT people here on nights have day time FT jobs. We work to about 2 AM. Air Hub(no guaranteed 3.5). I get home and have to get up at 5 AM for daytime job. UPS PT job here for most of us are not make money, but to get good bennies and pension. Turnover here is low, only 2 or 3 quits a year out of 50 PTers on the midnight shift.

Howe909

its all that u make it out to be sooner or later u will give up and just do the bare min to get the job done... in time u willl be able to move from hard job to a ezer job and then try to avoid the bad spots at the new job

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Preload in my opinion is the more demanding shift of all of them, getting up early sucks and having to load delivery trucks in the proper delivery order, that are filled beyond capacity, is very difficult. The evening shift in our building is much less demanding and laid back.
Loading, in and of itself is not a difficult job....physically demanding yes, but you get used to it for the most part. It all the management bs that make it more annoying. Let me come in, do my job and leave, that's all I want. Don't talk to me, don't babble about today's safety tip or ask me to regurgitate dok and hazmat procedures. Don't do load quality audits in my truck while we're getting ass raped by the flow. Just stand there and watch us work.

anonymous4

I'd say the boys and girls having to load tractor trailers at 12 am in the morning are in a tougher spot. I myself work TWI and can admit I hate extending to the night shift. Not only are the hours out-of-whack, there also tends to be more new blood on this shift. That means union presence is nill and it's like the wild west. I'm not sure where you are but in our area, the night shift tends to be the more productive shift, if only because supervisors doing hourly work is more wide-spread.