Dilemma

JOE1989

Here's my situation:

I am currently on Worker's Compensation - since August, 2014. It will be a year this next August and I'm not sure I will be released back to work by then. I want to look into retiring possibly at that time. In August 2015 I will lose my health insurance, so my question is: Can I retire while I'm still on worker's comp (and still being treated) in order to save my health insurance for my family. I have already contacted HR. HR says they can't give me my full status of my retirement benefits until I quit or retire ---- The retirement calculator does not give me credit for the last 8 months since I've been on WC and therefore, the benefit is inaccurate and planning is difficult and stressful. My biggest concern is healthcare for my family. Is there anyone out there in BrownCafe who is or may be in the same situation or can help please?

Thanks!

JOE1989

UPS/IBT Full--Time Pension Plan Vesting Credit - 25 years
UPS/IBT Full-Time Pension Plan Service Credit - 24.29167
UPS/IBT Full-Time Pension Plan Service Pension Credit - 24.42500

JOE1989

Yes. But, I was told I would have to be released from WC in order to retire.... and there is the possibility that I may not be released. And, I still won't know what my benefit would be in order to make the decision.... because I have to quit or be released from WC in order to find this out.

OldMan

Here's my situation:

I am currently on Worker's Compensation - since August, 2014. It will be a year this next August and I'm not sure I will be released back to work by then. I want to look into retiring possibly at that time. In August 2015 I will lose my health insurance, so my question is: Can I retire while I'm still on worker's comp (and still being treated) in order to save my health insurance for my family. I have already contacted HR. HR says they can't give me my full status of my retirement benefits until I quit or retire ---- The retirement calculator does not give me credit for the last 8 months since I've been on WC and therefore, the benefit is inaccurate and planning is difficult and stressful. My biggest concern is healthcare for my family. Is there anyone out there in BrownCafe who is or may be in the same situation or can help please?

Thanks!
Here's my situation:

Thanks!

I would need to know how many accredited years you have in. In general, if you have enough time you would be able to retire. But if you do retire you would no longer be on Workman's comp. I find it hard to believe that HR can't give you answer. Your HR dept. must suck. Another option is to call Corporate HR. Explain that you want to retire and ask about what you are eligible for. Just because you say you want to retire doesn't mean you have to. I hope this helps you.

OldMan

Thank you.... any recommendations for a WC attorney here in Houston?
Look on the Internet for someone who specializes in Workman's Comp in your area. This is a good way to get all your answers. If you are awarded any money they are only entitled to 20% of what you are awarded by law.

25TOLIFE

I had an on the job injury in March 2014. I would no longer be able to do the job anymore and was probably seen as a liability to UPS anyway. I applied for a disability pension in October 2014 and it was approved a few months later. In my local you have to be out for 6 months before you can even apply for a disability pension. I'm sure it's different in other locals. Workmans comp is a completely separate issue. You can remain on comp and still retire. I get credit for all my friend/t years and had no lapse in medical insurance. I was in a very similar situation to yours. It was a nerve racking experience to say the least. Its not the way I wanted to retire but it is what it is.

I had an on the job injury in March 2014. I would no longer be able to do the job anymore and was probably seen as a liability to UPS anyway. I applied for a disability pension in October 2014 and it was approved a few months later. In my local you have to be out for 6 months before you can even apply for a disability pension. I'm sure it's different in other locals. Workmans comp is a completely separate issue. You can remain on comp and still retire. I get credit for all my friend/t years and had no lapse in medical insurance. I was in a very similar situation to yours. It was a nerve racking experience to say the least. Its not the way I wanted to retire but it is what it is.
Sorry brother.

ksc67

I have contacted my teamster health and welfare in Virginia a few times and they are very helpful with time vested and any forms you need

Fragile

Permanent disability is the only way to go.

You need to speak with your union hall as well as probably a comp attorney.

JOE1989

I'm back and it's been a year. Can anyone advise whether I should file for Social Security Disability first, then file for retirement? I had my MMI by a designated doctor and he advised I begin processing disability paperwork. But, at the same time I am being encouraged by management to retire.