DISPATCHER CONSILDATIONS

don't know if I spelled that correctly. I am hearing that they are going to close small dispatch centers and begin looking to larger dispatch rooms to take on the work by adding bodies as they close the smaller locations. eventually it sounds like they want two locations per region. wondering what has been heard or said as I am kinda in the dark and yes I am a dispatcher. wondering if there has been any scuttlebutt or rumors and if a time frame has been mentioned thanks

bacha29

don't know if I spelled that correctly. I am hearing that they are going to close small dispatch centers and begin looking to larger dispatch rooms to take on the work by adding bodies as they close the smaller locations. eventually it sounds like they want two locations per region. wondering what has been heard or said as I am kinda in the dark and yes I am a dispatcher. wondering if there has been any scuttlebutt or rumors and if a time frame has been mentioned thanks
Look at it this way. Larger dispatch center might mean a larger cubicle . Perhaps as big as 5'X5'

Flaco50

I saw a new dispatch position in San Antonio, Tx. on Friday... I went to apply that afternoon and it was gone. maybe this is why?

Star B

White Lightening
It's true. Our dispatch center is closing and when people retire, the positions are not being filled. Also.. it's been true for a few months now.

It's going to be fun come winter. Having dispatchers that knew the area and could report directly to the management in the same building was key to good decisions. Now with phone tag, the :censored2: show is going to get even better.

vantexan

Don't know about the rest of the country but they consolidated dispatch in Texas more than 10 years ago. San Antonio dispatch was running us from across the state.

P1 Failure

Atlanta and surrounding areas like Macon,Columbus,LaGrange,Athens,etc have been like this since before I was here which is 22 years. They dispatch out of a single building in Brookhaven.

Indecisi0n

I don't know what a "scuttlebutt" is but it sounds like something I might be interested in .

Empty Pockets

The same thing happened to the DTCs about five years ago. There were three, Indy, Oakland, and Memphis. Fortunately for them, it was the same time as the first buy-out and some were able to take it. Only about 4 people at each location was allowed based on seniority. Oakland and Indy was shut down. Now, Mem DTC handles all trucking routes for the entire US.

Flaco50

to address his question, there are a lot of dispatch openings now because they are closing several locations - at least where I'm at and probably nation wide - they want new people ready. I guess if people don't wanna move with the job they're out.