Disqualified on Day 29.

Chrstian

I’m here for some advice. I got my shot at being a ups driver last month and was Disqualified in day 29 for a technicality. They said the numbers I displayed couldn’t be sold to their boss.The problem begins with my route, it was not designated for training, nor was it an actual training route. It was a route they threw me in when the other driver when out while everyone else got a training route. I was told the minimum packages per hour was 17 but then they changed it to 20 when I hit 17 for a week straight. I then hit 20 one day , then 22 the next day, after that my truck when from 160 stops to 200 with the fact they combined my Saturday route with my “training route”. Now it’s my last week I’m being told I need to string together some good days while Also being told I’m one of the heaviest drivers going out with about 200 stops or more. To add on to the pressure I had nothing but new hires loading my truck. When day 29 wrapped up, they pulled me in and said, “Your capable of doing the job,You demonstrated you can work safe, and you got the speed, but we can’t sell these numbers to our boss”. “This isn’t a route anyone can make scratch but you set a record”. “Sorry try again in 6 months”. Sounds like some bull:censored2: if you ask me. Please help a guy out. I honestly feel like I wasn’t given a fair shot.

tadpole

Talk to your steward. It describes in the contract how they will train new drivers. You didn’t have a training route. They gave you 200 stops... they are supposed to follow the packet and work your way up to a full day. File a grievance.

Nah
I’m here for some advice. I got my shot at being a ups driver last month and was Disqualified in day 29 for a technicality. They said the numbers I displayed couldn’t be sold to their boss.The problem begins with my route, it was not designated for training, nor was it an actual training route. It was a route they threw me in when the other driver when out while everyone else got a training route. I was told the minimum packages per hour was 17 but then they changed it to 20 when I hit 17 for a week straight. I then hit 20 one day , then 22 the next day, after that my truck when from 160 stops to 200 with the fact they combined my Saturday route with my “training route”. Now it’s my last week I’m being told I need to string together some good days while Also being told I’m one of the heaviest drivers going out with about 200 stops or more. To add on to the pressure I had nothing but new hires loading my truck. When day 29 wrapped up, they pulled me in and said, “Your capable of doing the job,You demonstrated you can work safe, and you got the speed, but we can’t sell these numbers to our boss”. “This isn’t a route anyone can make scratch but you set a record”. “Sorry try again in 6 months”. Sounds like some bull:censored2: if you ask me. Please help a guy out. I honestly feel like I wasn’t given a fair shot.

Sounds kinda like they didn't want you to become full-time, but you were good enough that they'll want your help during the holidays (which is why they were so nice about it).

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
It's cheaper to let you go and bring you back as a seasonal...

Over and over.

I see at all the time.

Don't take it personally or beat yourself up over it.

Move on, find something else.

Good luck.

trickpony1

they pulled me in and said, “Your capable of doing the job,You demonstrated you can work safe, and you got the speed, but we can’t sell these numbers to our boss”. “This isn’t a route anyone can make scratch but you set a record”. “Sorry try again in 6 months”.

It would help if you had a Union Steward or BA with you to witness these comments.

542thruNthru

What supplemental are you under?

To be honest not much you can do. Problem is the company can pretty much disqualify you for anything during your qualifying. I recommend you file a grievance but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

542thruNthru

not the time to be turning away drivers for silly numbers @Dragon , give the guy a chance

Its no longer up to a center manager like Dragon lol.

He sends the numbers to his boss's boss and they tell him if the driver qualified. UPS is smart enough after so many screw ups to realize lower operation management can't be trusted to make the right choices.

Est.1998

Meanwhile, drivers are clocking out close to 10pm while management plays these type of games.

Management is the enemy
Bury them in greivances
100%
TIME FOR WAR
1,000,000%

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)

He sends the numbers to his boss's boss...

xx0RYEO.gif

Est.1998

He sends the numbers to his boss's boss and they tell him if the driver qualified. UPS is smart enough after so many screw ups to realize lower operation management can't be trusted to make the right choices.
Based on his story.
His numbers were awesome for a seasoned driver let alone a newbie.
I don't do over 15 stops per hour on any route.
This guy was doing 22 and from what i read, in a "safe" manner.

542thruNthru

Based on his story.
His numbers were awesome for a seasoned driver let alone a newbie.
I don't do over 15 stops per hour on any route.
This guy was doing 22 and from what i read, in a "safe" manner.

Depends also on his planned day and over allowed.

We had a guy doing 20 stops a hour. He was at a 7hour plan day and 2-3 hours in the hole.

Est.1998

How? Is this the result of a runner working the route prior to him?
A route i sometimes run has Amazon lockers at an apt complex. If you get there too late, FedEx or Amazon will fill the lockers up and you have to deliver the pkgs to the residents doors. Say if a driver made sure to beat the competition to the lockers every day, could this affect the time allowance on the route?