Do Part Timers really outnumber Full Timers?

...And you basically sound like any other idiot supervisor or manager who oversimplifies the workers' job roles (both drivers and part-timers of all kinds) to make it seem like it's easier than it actually is, saying that trained monkeys can do their jobs. Guess what, I can do the same for a driver's job, too: "Durr, how hard is delivering packages, you just drive to the address on the box and drop it off, durr!"

But I don't mean that seriously, because I know it's not that simple. Same thing with loading, unloading, etc.

How about trying to lift each other up and stand together instead of putting each other down? This is a contract where they're blatantly trying to sway the votes of the uninformed part-timers to accept a contract that may sound good for them on its face (with more full-time job opportunities and a bump to the starting pay rate) but in actuality screws them harder than they've ever been screwed.
Well actually it really is that easy. But if all the drivers admitted to this then none of their wives would feel sorry them.

542thruNthru

But we also have the names of the streets to handle at the same time.

I agree with you. Reading words is hard.

I will be honest though and say I'd much rather deliver my route then load it. At least after every stop I get a short rest unlike if I had to load my truck let alone 4 trucks.

Superteeth2478

I will be honest though and say I'd much rather deliver my route then load it. At least after every stop I get a short rest unlike if I had to load my truck let alone 4 trucks.
All the part-timers that I know that went full-time I always ask the same question to: So which is worse, driving or loading? Guess what? At least 75% of them say that loading/working the preload in any capacity, really, is worse. Among other things, they cite the fact that at least with driving you're not moving constantly, and on top of that the pay isn't peanuts. People will do a lot for more money, and it makes the job less painful than it is.

Which is why low seniority drivers would rather take a lay off and hope to drive a couple days a week then double shift inside.

Superteeth2478

Which is why low seniority drivers would rather take a lay off and hope to drive a couple days a week then double shift inside.
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I see it all the time with low seniority drivers at my hub. They straight up say that if they have to work preload they'd rather just take the layoff. Although admittedly there are some that work every day regardless of what they have to do, but those are few.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Well actually it really is that easy. But if all the drivers admitted to this then none of their wives would feel sorry them.
D604C682-F22E-46CE-A9CC-54279D1D8377.gif

542thruNthru

All the part-timers that I know that went full-time I always ask the same question to: So which is worse, driving or loading? Guess what? At least 75% of them say that loading/working the preload in any capacity, really, is worse. Among other things, they cite the fact that at least with driving you're not moving constantly, and on top of that the pay isn't peanuts. People will do a lot for more money, and it makes the job less painful than it is.

They both suck. I will never say inside work is easy. Money does help but I also think being outside on your own away from management also helps it feel like a better job.

Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I see it all the time with low seniority drivers at my hub. They straight up say that if they have to work preload they'd rather just take the layoff. Although admittedly there are some that work every day regardless of what they have to do, but those are few.
Those are the drivers that really want to work.

john chesney

Id pay good money to watch you try to load 1000 pieces in a 90 degree building while saying its easy. 5 bucks says you dont wrap in time. Your talking about mentally tough you dont have to think you grab box and put at doorstep. Both jobs are physical work get that in your thick head.
I’ve done both for years. Preloaders can :censored2: up all day everyday, drivers can’t make one mistake. Driving is a mental mind:censored2:

john chesney

And for $10/hr nobody care just as long as the trailers are empty and the belts are clean. For $36/hr you will be under a microscope. You bid the job.
It’s hard work like everything at ups. At 10 bucks an hour I wouldn’t give a crispy :censored2: either. I guess we all understand why the loads are absolutely :censored2:. Actually one of the many reasons I had to retire

It’s hard work like everything at ups. At 10 bucks an hour I wouldn’t give a crispy :censored2: either. I guess we all understand why the loads are absolutely :censored2:. Actually one of the many reasons I had to retire
Not just the $10/hr PT preloader. It goes all the way down the line from the PT sup to the FT sup to the preload manager to the Center manager to the Division manager etc. I have heard your reason to retire from more drivers then just yourself.

john chesney

Not just the $10/hr PT preloader. It goes all the way down the line from the PT sup to the FT sup to the preload manager to the Center manager to the Division manager etc. I have heard your reason to retire from more drivers then just yourself.
That’s why I said one of many. Let just face it anyone who’s been there 30 plus years knows this place has gone to :censored2:. It’s a :censored2:ing shame

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Do they change the names of the streets in your town every other day.
This is basically PALs in a nutshell
Why trust a preloader to recognize and load a bulk stop in the same position every day forever when you can give them a fun and unique #### and completely change up the stop order every single day.

Anyways driving can be harder, is absolutely more risky and requires more consistancy than preload.
If you feel like you are working preload harder than driving with 1/3 the pay then slow the friend down, keep a clean area and take fewer chances.