Do sprinters take diesel?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We had an :censored2: at my station put diesel in one of the new Isuzu trucks...in the DEF tank.

Know a guy who put DEF fluid in the motor of a sprinter. Mixed it in to the oil. $13k screw up.

This is one of the repercussions of hiring the new dumbed down work force. Lol.

Not to make excuses, but I can see why this is happening.

Do you think that management could spare 5-10 minutes in educating some employees who are maybe not totally familiar with these diesels? Of course not, Fred's too cheap to allow that. He's obviously never heard that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

McFeely

Huge Member
Do you think that management could spare 5-10 minutes in educating some employees who are maybe not totally familiar with these diesels? Of course not, Fred's too cheap to allow that. He's obviously never heard that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You're onto something, actually. When I started driving for FX I had to ask someone how much/how often to fill the DEF on the Sprinters. This was after another courier put coolant in hers...

Anyway, when I had driving school for the company we didn't even drive around in one of the newer diesels that required DEF so there was nothing to show back then. Meanwhile, about 50% of my station's vehicles require DEF at the time.

FedexCares

We had an :censored2: at my station put diesel in one of the new Isuzu trucks...in the DEF tank.
This has happened multiple times with my old Isuzu reach I used to drive. Happened at least 3 times on a Monday when some newbie took it out when I was off (I'm Tuesday-Saturday).

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't agree with y'all. It's a common sense thing, or lack thereof. There are stickers saying the vehicles take diesel. I don't know about the Isuzu, but my Sprinter says on the DEF fluid thing in large white letters, DEF. The first time I was running out of DEF and someone was bringing me some I had no idea where it went. I called my mgr and he told me wrong so I stopped at a gas station and asked a mechanic.

SmithBarney

You're onto something, actually. When I started driving for FX I had to ask someone how much/how often to fill the DEF on the Sprinters. This was after another courier put coolant in hers...

Anyway, when I had driving school for the company we didn't even drive around in one of the newer diesels that required DEF so there was nothing to show back then. Meanwhile, about 50% of my station's vehicles require DEF at the time.

So whats the answer... how often do you put DEF in the sprinters?

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
DEF is the worst GD thing to happen to any vehicle on diesel. It splashes on your shoes out of a jug, it's impossible to find on routes out in the BFE, it's always broken at the pump near my station, and if you have a fleet of 25 trucks, there's nowhere to store it if you buy a skid of it.
So that's why at $85k for a new Freightliner P-1000 everyone is going to gasoline.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't agree with y'all. It's a common sense thing, or lack thereof. There are stickers saying the vehicles take diesel. I don't know about the Isuzu, but my Sprinter says on the DEF fluid thing in large white letters, DEF. The first time I was running out of DEF and someone was bringing me some I had no idea where it went. I called my mgr and he told me wrong so I stopped at a gas station and asked a mechanic.
See, a little bit of training and that could've been avoided.