Do they have to give us heat?

Indecisi0n

Years ago the first building I worked out of barely had any heat at all. None in the area we worked in. Back then we had to change into UPS pants in the morning and couldn’t wear them home at night.
The dressing room had a small heater in it but the room was always super cold anyway. Our Steward put a thermometer in the room and filled a grievance. The center manager brought in a small space heater that did absolutely nothing unless you were standing right in front of it. He put the thermometer about six inches away
and assumed he had solved the problem. The Steward took a picture of the thermometer showing 110 degrees and filled another grievance. We got an actual oil burning furnace in the dressing room.
I heard the first hub you worked at was a log cabin .is that true ?

MattM

Our air ramp building has 5 refrigerator sized heaters at ceiling level (aiming down). They work decent when the doors are closed, which is almost never.

We have budget/Penske rental trucks that work great. But the fumes bug the workers.

There's no winning.

Those same heaters have thermostats set up at ceiling level, so they tend to run even when it's 90 plus out.

Great efficiency lol.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our air ramp building has 5 refrigerator sized heaters at ceiling level (aiming down). They work decent when the doors are closed, which is almost never.

We have budget/Penske rental trucks that work great. But the fumes bug the workers.

There's no winning.

Those same heaters have thermostats set up at ceiling level, so they tend to run even when it's 90 plus out.

Great efficiency lol.
With what UPS wasted during an average heating season leaving the heaters on with Eleven 16 foot high garage doors open for long periods of time in the morning and evening I could have heated my house for years.

Dough99

A5900B92-B38A-4149-8210-A13F260E991A.png

rod

Retired 22 years
You pumped your water from the local well?
We weren't that lucky. The toilet would freeze up so if need be we pissed in the woods. We would hurry up the sort if someone had to take a dump so we could get to the coffee shop. At that time we were a 7 person operation with a center manager that only showed up 2 days a week. Three Ford Econolines, 3 P400's and a P600. Our entire load was half of a 53 footer. The other half was designated for a center a hundred miles away that had a super late start.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I think you mean a 40 ft drop frame.
53's are a recent addition to our equipment inventory.
Maybe where you are but we had 53' flat beds when I was in feeder in 1980.
A cardinal sin was sending a 53' to 43rd Street ... that would get you more attention than anyone would ever want.

53' are not allowed on many state and local roads but are allowed on all Federal Highways.
I was a scheduler and all center loads we made for AL, FL, GA, SC, NC and TN could be in a 53' trailer.

rustys954rr

I'm pretty sure 45's would have been out in 80, but somewhere in the mid 80s 48's were legalized, 53' weren't legal until at least the extreme late 80s and didn't become popular until the 90s.