Do we get to grow beards in new contract?

G

grizzlyadams

On the lighter side of contract talks, I'll ask the ever present question, "when do we get to grow some beards around here?" Do we have some language in this new contract about facial hair. Seriously people, its 2007 not 1937, I don't think a customer is going to get scared if the ups guy has a goatee or even a beard. I'm not asking for a ZZ TOP kinda beard either just something well maintained on my face other than a mustache. Give me some feedback on this please!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That snot covered beard keeps us warm up here in the northwoods during winter. I would like to see a goatee being OK. I do agree I look rather menacing with one. BM

gray squirrel

I agree. I have been with UPS for 17 years, and have never been permitted to have facial hair, with the exception of a mustache. My old center manager used to ride me about it being too long. It seems our grooming standards are way out of date. Facial hair isn't a big deal, so why can't we have it?? I may do like some of the bald guys, and grow my mustache long, and do a comb over!!

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
They want that clean cut Roman, 1950s white men are the only people, diversity is bad, look. If this ever changes I will probably be so old that I would be in a nursing home. :punk::wheelchai

wkmac

I had to laugh when I saw this thread title because at the same time Smiling Bob and the penial enlargement commercial was on TV. The thought of someone posting the following then came to mind.

I wonder if the new contract will provide penial enlargement surgery? Until they get this in the contract I will vote no!
:lol:

Folks, it's just a matter of time before we see this!
:wink:

BTW: I'm just looking forward to the day when I retire that I don't have to cut my hair anymore. Ah, my return to chest length hair I've not seen since the 70's. To bad this time it'll be gray but at least I still have it all!
:tongue_sm

Lobofan5

There is a section in the new contract.

Women drivers can have all the facial hair they want.

Hang on men, your turn can't be that far behind!!:lol:

W

wpnderboy$

I can't find anything in the contract that says anything about facial hair.

Are you sure it's there? Where is it? What section and article?

Griff

It's a company policy. I don't think the Teamsters could change it even with a strike threat. It's not worth it anyways, its part of the reason why you are paid decently. I'd like to sport 5 o'clock shadow or a goatee, but I'm not willing to take a paycut and go to NoobEx.

dillweed

Super funny thread between smiling bob and the women with facial hair!

Maybe I'm old fashioned but feel the clean-shaven look adds credibility to our drivers. Customers can see exactly what each driver looks like, no hiding behind whiskers. And you guys/gals are so good looking! Honestly, I'd hate to see the beards allowed.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
LOBOFAN GOT ME WONDERING ?

I wonder if there has been any women drivers who have been sent home because they looked unshaven.
That would take a lot of gall for a supervisor.

But then again, Ive delivered to many "women" who could grow a better beard than myself

Big Babooba

LOBOFAN GOT ME WONDERING ?

I wonder if there has been any women drivers who have been sent home because they looked unshaven.
That would take a lot of gall for a supervisor.

But then again, Ive delivered to many "women" who could grow a better beard than myself
I've delivered to a few bearded ladies. One I knew from high school when she was a he! He changed his name to Sue Jean. It took me a few seconds to realize who it was. It was very hard for me to keep a straight face whenever I delivered that stop.