Do we get to grow beards in new contract?

christopher85

I've read every post in this thread. I notice that some chick keeps pointing out that beards are disgusting and unprofessional. Food and lint and snot get stuck in them. Well that's all true for mustaches as well honey so you've got no real point there. Convenient though that someone who doesn't have to shave every damn day wouldn't care about the plight of those of us who do. As for religion, well you can't really argue the fact that this is America, and our constitution states that all men have the unalienable right to worship as he or she wishes. So of course UPS has to let those people grow beards. But a quick look into recent federal court cases shows that they're not even gonna give us the religion excuse without a fight. I personally see why UPS doesn't want beards but that's just too :censored2: bad. UPS is a :censored2: nazi run company full of yuppie a**, white supremacists who demand that we all be like them and assimilate. It's everyone's constitutional duty to file a complaint against UPS with the EEOC to end what is basically a bunch of prejudice and descrimination in the guise of "grooming standards". FedEx used to have the same BS grooming standard, but changed it after suffering a couple of lawsuits at the hands of the EEOC. Hurray for the EEOC! Go check 'em out. Sorry I'm trying to find the exact court cases but it can make for some pretty dry reading if you can imagine. I'll get back with those.

Last edited:

UPSFIKES

On the lighter side of contract talks, I'll ask the ever present question, "when do we get to grow some beards around here?" Do we have some language in this new contract about facial hair. Seriously people, its 2007 not 1937, I don't think a customer is going to get scared if the ups guy has a goatee or even a beard. I'm not asking for a ZZ TOP kinda beard either just something well maintained on my face other than a mustache. Give me some feedback on this please!

frateshkr

Things stick in hair.....lint, food, etc. It's just dirty & disgusting looking. :sick:

So what's wrong with a pc saving a bit of his / her lunch for a snack on pickups? A little more individuality couldn't hurt plain old brown. Whenever I see those young supervisors with the mustache and that take charge attitude I chuckle since they don't remember the " clone" look that was popular with gay culture in the 80's. And besides just think of the benefits for the economy if 200k drivers all of a sudden had to buy hair products to get the gray out of those beards.

The Milkman

I sure hope they never allow beards!

I finally grew my goetee after I retired. I waited over 25 yrs for that to happen. Ups should be more concerned about the operations instead of the facial hair policy. If they are neat and trimmed I have no problem with that and anyone with any length of time will tell you that a man with or without a beard still thinks the same about life and his attitude towards work is not altered by hair on the face. What alters his attitude is the mindless decisions made by management that affects his day beard or no beard. Good and bad drivers come in all shapes and sizes so what is the difference ??

Overpaid Union Thug

I hope the facial hair policy stays the same. I don't think having a bunch of scruffy looking bearded freaks driving our trucks and greeting the public is good for our image. A well trimmed goatee is one thing. But a beard? I don't think so. Some of our drivers look bad enough the way they wear their uniforms. Beards would just make it worse.