Do we need to work black friday?

opie

I'm not sure I can explain this so you'll understand, but here goes:
  • The contract lists the paid holidays. It doesn't say anything about 'NOT' working those days, just that you receive holiday pay (with other stipulations such as must work the day before and/or after). No changes were made to the contract.
  • What changed was UPS decided to run full operations that day (instead of only air pkgs).
  • Like any other workday, staffing should be planned in advance and you will be scheduled in accordance with your seniority.
  • If you are otherwise eligible for holiday pay (1 year of service for part timers), you get the holiday pay on top of pay for the hours you work (under some contract supplements at 1.5x or 2x your normal pay rate).
  • The exceptions are Locals 177 & 804. There contract explicitly says they can't be forced to work that day. Also, the Central region supplement says Labor day is 'NO WORK' day.

I took a glance at my Local 177 supplement, and it states that full time employees who have attained senority prior to August 1, 1987 shall not be scheduled to work on a Sunday or any holiday.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Check your contract. Thanksgiving is a holiday but the day after is a paid day off but not a holiday. Some people have been working that day for years. Mostly to deliver air. UPS just expanded it to ground also.

It's listed as a holiday in the 804 supplement....
Article 3 section 6
(c) No employees shall be scheduled to work on a Sunday or on any of the holidays specified in this Agreement, but this provision shall not apply to employees whose regular schedule of work extends into Sunday or holiday hours.

Article 9 section 1

A full-time seniority employee shall be paid for the following holidays, provided the employee works a minimum of two (2) days during the holiday week: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve Day. Seniority employees who are absent the full week of the holiday week due to illness or Worker’s Compensation Disability need not work during the holiday week in order to receive holiday pay. The amount of holiday pay shall be the equivalent of eight (8) hours straight time pay.

oldngray

nowhere special
It's listed as a holiday in the 804 supplement....
Article 3 section 6
(c) No employees shall be scheduled to work on a Sunday or on any of the holidays specified in this Agreement, but this provision shall not apply to employees whose regular schedule of work extends into Sunday or holiday hours.

Article 9 section 1

A full-time seniority employee shall be paid for the following holidays, provided the employee works a minimum of two (2) days during the holiday week: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve Day. Seniority employees who are absent the full week of the holiday week due to illness or Worker’s Compensation Disability need not work during the holiday week in order to receive holiday pay. The amount of holiday pay shall be the equivalent of eight (8) hours straight time pay.

That must be just for 804. You have a "unique" local.

jaker

trolling
The way I know it that its a full staff day , if you get the day off its just like any other day and they are over drivers

I know for our hub we run 75 routes and our sup said plan on 65 cars being In that day

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The way I know it that its a full staff day , if you get the day off its just like any other day and they are over drivers

I know for our hub we run 75 routes and our sup said plan on 65 cars being In that day
Agreed ..if you're not low on the totem pole...you can still get the day off.