Do you agree with "tipping" at restaurants?

Do you agree with tipping?

• No, I don't

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No, but I tip because of social expectations

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes, I agree with it

Votes: 23 92.0%

• Total voters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I tip based on the level of service and would be opposed to a flat service charge, unless I was with a group of six or more people.

I always thought I was a generous tipper but since my son, who delivers for Papa John's, has told some of the horror stories (20 miles round trip only to receive exact change) of cheap (or no) tippers I find myself leaving more than I used to.

I went out to dinner last night and used my last Peak gift card. The bill was $13 and change. I could not use the card for tipping (the balance is carried over) so I left a $5 bill on the table as my server was quite good.

A flat service charge, while convenient, promotes mediocrity.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was a server/bartender. I understand what a server goes through to make sure their customer has a nice experience.
I, also, can see those that could care what I think of their serving abilities. Their tip reflects that attitude. I tip based on how well my server treats me.

On a different point, I think the waitress wage should be tossed. There are a lot of people who do not tip at all, let alone accordingly. They should be paid the regular minimum wage.

TheKid

I think waiters and waitresses should make AT LEAST minimum wage. My tip is also based on the service. I do not automatically tip a certain amount. If a waitress/waiter is good it is usually 20% and it goes up or down from there.

NI3

I think waiters and waitresses should make AT LEAST minimum wage. My tip is also based on the service. I do not automatically tip a certain amount. If a waitress/waiter is good it is usually 20% and it goes up or down from there.

They always do. In some states, tip can't be used to credit minimum wage. That's how it is CA.
So, if server made $8/hr avg in tip and minimum wage is $9/hr, the employer is still on the hook for $9/hr.

In states that allow crediting, the employer would only be on the hook to cover the $1/hr difference.

In many places it can be. Regardless of where you go. The employer is required to cover the difference if tip earned and base rate do not add up to hours worked x minimum wage rate. As long as the employer is complying with the labor law, if you don't tip at all and the base rate is below minimum wage, the employer has to cover the difference and in the long run it just gets reflected into the product price.

In some places, servers make below minimum wage base.
Say $3/hr. If he makes a tip of $10/hr and minimum wage is $7/hr, I don't believe his employer has to pickup anything. On the other hand, if he makes no tip, his employer has to pay $4/hr +$3/hr to ensure the server is paid no less than minimum wage.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If I pay by credit card, I always leave cash for a tip. Somebody might be needing gas in the car on the way home and need that cash NOW.

I love some of the fun, star,tipping stories....$100 bill and leaving $75 tip (Charlize Theron). There's also stories that go the other way and then I mentally cuss out that so-called star.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you put your tip on your card, the restaurant has to report that as earnings. I never agreed with that law. Leave it in cash and it, hopefully, stays out of the taxman's hands.

raceanoncr

Don't mind tipping at all for good service. I know they, men/women, boys/girls, are all underpaid for all the work they do. Will always tip good.

DO mind, tho, when I find out they hafta SHARE their tips with entire staff. That means that somebody that didn't even cross your path gets a share of the tip you left. I find myself not tipping as good then and try to find a way to get a little more into direct servers/bus people pocket.

raceanoncr

If you put your tip on your card, the restaurant has to report that as earnings. I never agreed with that law. Leave it in cash and it, hopefully, stays out of the taxman's hands.

Didn't know that, mentoyou. Have always put on card, er, debit card, that is.

Will not do that now. Thanks.

Don't mind tipping at all for good service. I know they, men/women, boys/girls, are all underpaid for all the work they do. Will always tip good.

DO mind, tho, when I find out they hafta SHARE their tips with entire staff. That means that somebody that didn't even cross your path gets a share of the tip you left. I find myself not tipping as good then and try to find a way to get a little more into direct servers/bus people pocket.

More often than not those people cross your path before and after you arrive. The busser who made sure the table was clean, hustled the dishes into the washer. The drink girl who comes around to refresh your soda or coffee.
A good server will share some even when they don't have to because they know these other people will hustle harder for them allowing them to ultimately make more money in the long run with a table that is quickly turned for the next customer.
My daughter is working the busser/drink girl job as her first step into the real world and I'm glad she's realizing that it's not all that it's cracked up to be earning your own money.

As far as tipping crap service might get 5%, good on up will get 15-20%. There's been occasions like on holidays that I'll go as high as 50% for the great server that's away from family having to do that job.

NI3

I'm probably not making as much as they do now. When I know that state law will not permit them to be paid below minimum wage no matter what, I don't feel guilt tripped into causing them to make less than minimum wage.

klein

Für Meno :)
Stupid poll I've ever seen.

You tip no matter what, period !

Even in Germany where tips are included in the bill, you still leave a tip, but not as high of a percentage.
It's just an extra gratitude there.
In North America, tips are part of their wages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Klein, the amount that I tip is in direct ratio to the level of service I receive. I do not tip "no matter what".

My son and I went to Ground Round a while back. It took them 15 minutes to figure out that we had yet to be waited on and we never got refills on our drinks. I left her a penny and wrote on the back of the check why I did that. I also spoke to the manager on our way out the door.

On the other hand I went out by myself last night to use one of my last Peak gift cards. The dinner was wonderful and the service was great. I left her $5 on a $13 bill.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm probably not making as much as they do now. When I know that state law will not permit them to be paid below minimum wage no matter what, I don't feel guilt tripped into causing them to make less than minimum wage.
Do you make more than $3.30? Is that a living wage? You should feel guilty now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you feel that you should get something for nothing?

klein

Klein, the amount that I tip is in direct ratio to the level of service I receive. I do not tip "no matter what".

My son and I went to Ground Round a while back. It took them 15 minutes to figure out that we had yet to be waited on and we never got refills on our drinks. I left her a penny and wrote on the back of the check why I did that. I also spoke to the manager on our way out the door.

On the other hand I went out by myself last night to use one of my last Peak gift cards. The dinner was wonderful and the service was great. I left her $5 on a $13 bill.

Even though waitresses get a full minimum wage here ($9.40/hr). I wouldn't have asked for the "toonie" back.
She/he would have gotten the full $20.

If I go out, I don't penny pinch, and asking for a coin back is redicolous here (a toonie is a coin).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A toonie may be a coin but you my friend are a loonie.

The dinner that I used the gift card on I had to tip separately as I could not use the gift card as a tip. I put the meal on the card and left a fin ($5) on the table. (We have nicknames for money too)

If I had paid for the meal and tip in cash I would have asked for change back from my double sawbuck ($20), left the fin ($5) and pocketed two Georges ($1).

menotyou

bella amicizia
Even though waitresses get a full minimum wage here ($9.40/hr). I wouldn't have asked for the "toonie" back.
She/he would have gotten the full $20.

If I go out, I don't penny pinch, and asking for a coin back is redicolous here (a toonie is a coin).
Did I miss Some joke somewhere? (I know it's a loonie)

klein

A toonie may be a coin but you my friend are a loonie.

The dinner that I used the gift card on I had to tip separately as I could not use the gift card as a tip. I put the meal on the card and left a fin ($5) on the table. (We have nicknames for money too)

If I had paid for the meal and tip in cash I would have asked for change back from my double sawbuck ($20), left the fin ($5) and pocketed two Georges ($1).

I agree with the giftcard. I have one for Earls for $5.00.
If I ever go there, it's for the tip.