Do you agree with "tipping" at restaurants?

Do you agree with tipping?

• No, I don't

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No, but I tip because of social expectations

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes, I agree with it

Votes: 23 92.0%

• Total voters
Stupid poll I've ever seen.

You tip no matter what, period !

Even in Germany where tips are included in the bill, you still leave a tip, but not as high of a percentage.
It's just an extra gratitude there.
In North America, tips are part of their wages.

The point of this thread, like many others, wasn't to ask what YOUR opinion was of someone elses question. Just answer it without telling us stupid Americans how we do it wrong.

klein

Für Meno :)
The point of this thread, like many others, wasn't to ask what YOUR opinion was of someone elses question. Just answer it without telling us stupid Americans how we do it wrong.

That doesn't work anymore Cach !
Nowhere have I said Americans are stupid !
I said this poll is stupid !

Like every other Canadian, and largest trading partner (yes, Canada is dependant on the USA, for our own well being).
All, I can ask for is that the USA does well !

If Germany was ever in financial and poilitical trouble - you don't think the other Euro countries would'nt be worried ?

rod

Retired 22 years
Is it true that the UPS drivers in the big cities actually expect a tip when they deliver a package? I was told years ago that NYC drivers make as much in tips as they get in salary. I know when I was there everyone you came in contact with had their hand out for a tip. Back when we collected cash for COD's everyonce in awhile someone would tell you to keep the change----but not too often.

And I said it wasn't put here for your take on it's validity. Should we go over your polls and see how stupid they are?

(Like every other Canadian, and largest trading partner (yes, Canada is dependant on the USA, for our own well being).

If Germany was ever in financial and poilitical trouble - you don't think the other Euro countries would'nt be worried ?)

As for the rest of this as usual , we don't GAF.

brownedout

Wife spent many years in the business. Will almost always tip 20%, even more due to the fact we will round up. Unusually bad service garners 15%. Tip is always in cash for reasons already given.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I usually pay cash but when I do use a payment card, I put a dollar on the card and leave the rest of the tip in cash.

I usually don't tip much if I know they have a pool and split it.

brownedout

Is it true that the UPS drivers in the big cities actually expect a tip when they deliver a package? I was told years ago that NYC drivers make as much in tips as they get in salary. I know when I was there everyone you came in contact with had their hand out for a tip. Back when we collected cash for COD's everyonce in awhile someone would tell you to keep the change----but not too often.
I couldn't say they actually expect a tip, I would say it's ingrained in the people they deliver to, to tip. I know, or know of, 5 guys who deliver in NYC. They do substantially better than me, and my suburban co-workers in the way of tips.

P

pickup

I usually pay cash but when I do use a payment card, I put a dollar on the card and leave the rest of the tip in cash.

I usually don't tip much if I know they have a pool and split it.

I think that the good waitress that figured out how to provide good service is also smart enough to make sure that not all her cash tips go into that pool. My mom was a waitress, she knew how to skim from her own tips when she got roped into a shared pool.

P

pickup

I think that the good waitress that figured out how to provide good service is also smart enough to make sure that not all her cash tips go into that pool. My mom was a waitress, she knew how to skim from her own tips.

And in case you haven't figured it out, I tip the waitress and I am discerning enough to know when and if things go awry , whether it is due to actions/inactions of the waitress or others in the restaurant. And ef restaurants, I like diners.

P

pickup

Like every other Canadian, and largest trading partner (yes, Canada is dependant on the USA, for our own well being).

If Germany was ever in financial and poilitical trouble - you don't think the other Euro countries would'nt be worried ?

They would be indeed because the last time Germany was in financial and political trouble, they decided to invade those other Euro countries.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I always tip based on the waitress, 20% mandated. As a former waitress I look around and see whats going on. I dont fault her if the food was bad, or she got shortstaffed, its all about her/him. And always in cash, if not an extra to cover the fact it will get reported. Cash is king to a waiter/waitress.

washington57

I think restaurants should get rid of tipping. Increase the price by 15% so you can pay your staff reasonable wages.

I always hate how when I go out to eat it is always math time as well. Ok, dinner is 17.99 + 9.5% sales tax + 15-20% tip. I end up feeling ripped off even though I know I have to tip. I would prefer the price was totaled out on the menu so I know how much i'm going to spend.

If the service is bad you simply stop going to that restaurant...just like any other business.

Also, we don't tip fast food people...but people that make coffee want tips too?

And how much are you supposed to tip the pizza guy? 15%? But they already have a 3$ delivery fee?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The delivery fee doesn't always go to the driver.

My son works for Papa John's and cach is right---the delivery fee does not always go to the driver. He gets an hourly wage plus a reimbursement for deliveries based upon a radius from the store--this rarely if ever covers the gas as most of his deliveries are within the part of the radius closest to the store. Cash tips go in his pocket while credit card tips go on his W-2.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I almost always tip. Having worked in the industry before I, too, understand what wait staff goes through. My base tip is always 20% and it goes up or down from there. If I get exceptional service I will compliment the wait staff and/or management as well. If I get poor service, heaven help them because I will voice my opinions on that as well. It is not very often that I have been a stiff on a tip but I have done it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Did you mean?
The Stupidest poll I've ever seen.
I have a feeling that if you ever dared to make a poll, you might find out you have not "seen" enough.
I thought he made a poll. Might have been my imagination though. I tend to ignore everything that comes out of his mouth.