Do you believe God loves you?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
It's interesting how drowning people grab the life ring, but don't go on and on and on about the power of the life ring....

To an AA, the "Power greater than themselves...(I.e. 'God')" is essentially no different than the life ring as it provides hope for survival when nothing else has drifted their way...

Why doesn't the life ring survivor go on and on and on and on about his belief in and the greatness of the life ring?

Why do AA's feel that people need to hear ad nauseam about their personal beliefs in their (supposedly) personal life ring?

Maybe the alcohol has nothing to do with it and it is an emotional issue.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It's interesting how drowning people grab the life ring, but don't go on and on and on about the power of the life ring....

To an AA, the "Power greater than themselves...(I.e. 'God')" is essentially no different than the life ring as it provides hope for survival when nothing else has drifted their way...

Why doesn't the life ring survivor go on and on and on and on about his belief in and the greatness of the life ring?

Why do AA's feel that people need to hear ad nauseam about their personal beliefs in their (supposedly) personal life ring?

Maybe the alcohol has nothing to do with it and it is an emotional issue.
Very interesting and thought provoking post.

Well written.

Great questions.

but

I don't see how it really applies to the topic.

It almost seems like the opening post to a new discussion thread or perhaps would fit in one of the AA or 12 Step themed threads.

It seems to me that would be the way to go. Still it is a great post!

The purpose of the this discussion thread is to find out how individuals are doing as far as their personal faith in God and to find out if those who have faith in God believe in the depth of their mind, soul, and spirit that God deeply, personally, and unconditionally loves them.

@Lineandinitial,

Do you believe in God? I ask because I see that you didn't vote in the poll in the other thread.

If so,

How are you personally doing with your faith in God?

and

Do you believe in the depth of your mind, soul, and spirit that God deeply, personally, and unconditionally loves you?

satellitedriver

Just so you know, based upon my limited understanding of the definition of agnostic, I would expect those who are professed agnostic to have voted no in the previous mentioned poll.

Just my opinion.
"Agnosticism, (from Greek agnōstos, “unknowable”), strictly speaking, the doctrine that humans cannot know of the existence of anything beyond the phenomena of their experience."
That was a cut and paste quote, but I could not have said it better.
I was taught 50yrs ago that it meant "One who doubts what is told to him."
Same difference.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
People who use suffering as an argument against the existence of God aren't really saying anything about the existence of God. What they are saying is that they can't imagine a reason why God would allow suffering. And they use children suffering as an emotional ploy to sell their argument.

They also reveal that they don't understand what suffering really is. Suffering is the human condition, everyone suffers, everyone dies. Each person's suffering is a subjective experience. They only understand it and experience it through their perspective. What they are really saying is that they don't like that they have to suffer, so they use it as a way to strike back at God the only way they can, to deny His existence.

In reality, there could be no joy without suffering. The greatest achievements of mankind are only accomplished through suffering. Without God, suffering is truly pointless, and since being human is to suffer, humanity is pointless.

There are several causes of suffering, just as there are at least a few different types of suffering. In a universe devoid of meaning, things like childhood cancer can (mostly) only be the result of pure chance. But no one rails against the harshness of chance, just as no one finds comfort in chance.

If you choose to believe in a universe without God, then suffering is truly being in hell. But, then again, you put yourself there.

The existence of suffering is not an argument against the existence of god. It is an argument against the existence of a benevolent god interested in human affairs.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I would expect those who are professed agnostic to have voted no in the previous mentioned poll.
SMH.
Screenshot_20220105-213215_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220105-213127_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220105-213152_Chrome.jpg

I believe there is most likely a God.
I believe I can't prove it.
I do not have complete trust there is a God.
I do not refuse to accept the existence of God.

I don't know how to make it any clearer.
I'm agnostic.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The existence of suffering is not an argument against the existence of god. It is an argument against the existence of a benevolent god interested in human affairs.

Some try to use it as an excuse not to believe in God. Anyone who tries to use suffering to argue against a benevolent God are not saying anything about God. They are saying they don't understand what suffering is. Try to imagine a world without suffering. The only way that's possible is with no humans. And that's, generally, what totalitarians want, and their justification for striving for that goal.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
SMH.
View attachment 366637View attachment 366638View attachment 366639
I believe there is most likely a God.
I believe I can't prove it.
I do not have complete trust there is a God.
I do not refuse to accept the existence of God.

I don't know how to make it any clearer.
I'm agnostic.

Two kinds of agnostics. The kind of agnostic who “leans toward” theism says that no one can know whether God exists but claims that “it is more reasonable” to believe that God does exist than that he does not. The other kind of agnostic is one who “leans toward” atheism. This kind of agnostic holds that no one can know whether God exists, but he claims “that it is more reasonable” to believe that God does not exist than to believe that he does.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Two kinds of agnostics. The kind of agnostic who “leans toward” theism says that no one can know whether God exists but claims that “it is more reasonable” to believe that God does exist than that he does not. The other kind of agnostic is one who “leans toward” atheism. This kind of agnostic holds that no one can know whether God exists, but he claims “that it is more reasonable” to believe that God does not exist than to believe that he does.
My beliefs have changed quite a bit, back and forth, over the years. As I've gotten older I've simply accepted I'm not capable of blind faith religions require, and I'm also not capable of living my life without God.

Most people asking about your beliefs need to put you in a box, and I comfortably fit in the agnostic one.

Anyways, always liked this quote so here you go:
Screenshot_20220105-234000_Chrome.jpg