Do You Recognize Your Co-workers?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We used to have name tags and it was easy to get to know names. In my last years, I didn't know most of the other drivers' names unless they worked near me or did something incredibly stupid.

From a Land Brown Under

I have learned a lot of peoples names in the hub. I always strike up a conversation when I can. I feel in my eyes, it keeps the solidarity stronger. Regardless of how they feel about the union or not. It shows people you care to an extent, even if it is just on a name to name basis giving the occasional nod or knuckles greeting asking whats up.

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
New management, NO PCM's. All numbers driven. We have no clue who works in our department of 40 people. Turns out they snuck a few supervisors in to bag. Sad state of affairs. No teamwork. Now we just go in, do our job, and mind our own business.
That sounds about right.

Captain Qwark

I have learned a lot of peoples names in the hub. I always strike up a conversation when I can. I feel in my eyes, it keeps the solidarity stronger. Regardless of how they feel about the union or not. It shows people you care to an extent, even if it is just on a name to name basis giving the occasional nod or knuckles greeting asking whats up.
We have a gregarious type at our center who is like that. I leave it up to them to be the Walmart greeter of UPS. I have bigger things to worry about than who's who. Kinda sad, but that's how I feel.

Captain Qwark

We used to have name tags and it was easy to get to know names. In my last years, I didn't know most of the other drivers' names unless they worked near me or did something incredibly stupid.
Are you talking about the gold rectangular name tags from way back when? I had forgotten all about those. I never did wear it and then when we were issued photo id's I wore that for a while and then just...didn't. Kinda like my safety vest.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We have a gregarious type at our center who is like that. I leave it up to them to be the Walmart greeter of UPS. I have bigger things to worry about than who's who. Kinda sad, but that's how I feel.
I had a handful of close work buddies, similar likes and beliefs. We all showed up early to have a coffee and watch the slackers and freaks arrive. Lol.

UnionStrong

Are you talking about the gold rectangular name tags from way back when? I had forgotten all about those. I never did wear it and then when we were issued photo id's I wore that for a while and then just...didn't. Kinda like my safety vest.
I prefer anonymity. Even when I delivered to a residence, stealth mode.

Commercial Inside Release

The whole being bestest buds with every new hire is a luxury that can only be afforded when there is some discipline handed down by management. Hard to be happy to see an a-hole that trashed your truck while you were on vacation. Or some dip that constantly blocks the loading dock, or parks in the middle of yard operations... Or, constantly destroys the crapper... Or... I could go on forever.

quad decade guy

Interesting...

Lot's of our feeder guys turn their "badges" inside out so customers can't identify them for complaints by name.

Mgt. does the same thing. See it all the time here.
I prefer anonymity. Even when I delivered to a residence, stealth mode.
Except you weren't.

Perhaps the customer didn't know your name but you were not "anonymous" by any rational standard.

Matter of fact.... an odd statement.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
D66281F8-6743-4A2D-B643-F863EE2731A5.jpeg

UnionStrong

Ah cliques.....

Most being shared alcoholism....failed marriages/infidelity... here. A lot of women in there too....

No? I know better.
Sorry to disappoint, but no alcoholism or any failed marriages or infidelity. I’ve been married for 37 years. Just the last of the Mohicans watching a job we were proud to do, for a company we were proud to work for. Just watching the ‘new guys’ and laying odds on who will last.

UnionStrong

Interesting...

Lot's of our feeder guys turn their "badges" inside out so customers can't identify them for complaints by name.

Except you weren't.

Perhaps the customer didn't know your name but you were not "anonymous" by any rational standard.

To an oddball

UnionStrong

Interesting...

Except you weren't.

I’m willing to bet you don’t need a name tag for people to know who you are.

quad decade guy

I’m willing to bet you don’t need a name tag for people to know who you are.
A fair statement......a refreshing insight.

Congrats on your marriage. I mean that. It doesn't erase all the rest of it(hate and abuse) though....

I will admit.....some of my encounters with employees/contractors/mgt(while doing dangerous/unethical/stupid stuff(them)
Sorry to disappoint, but no alcoholism or any failed marriages or infidelity. I’ve been married for 37 years. Just the last of the Mohicans watching a job we were proud to do, for a company we were proud to work for. Just watching the ‘new guys’ and laying odds on who will last.

....can be memorable and that is for effect and purpose.

But then.....some know me by years and years or just casual conversation....I'll embrace all. Proud of it.

Trying/making a difference takes time/energy/dedication/tenacity/passion and a whole lot of work...sometimes even pain/tragedy.

Some of us are still on the front lines.....