Do you start your lunch break when you arrive, or start driving, to your break destination?

542thruNthru

Makes them look better on paper?

I would assume so. They always try and take advantage of cover drivers. Tell them anytime not delivering is to be deducted from their breaks. That if they don't keep performing as management expects they can be sent back into the building.

All BS but the young kids believe it.

Indecisi0n

I was told this before and I agreed with him and he was shocked (I'm an :censored2: , especially when it comes to this stuff ). So I told him Ill use the same logic at the end of the day. He looked at me all curious. I said after I deliver my last stop I'll punch out on the customers step, drop the DIAD , package car keys on the ground and leave the truck as I walk home. His curiously quickly turned to disdain.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Here's a good trick to use if they are trying to "punk you" on a ride along.

Stop a place during the contractual time period. As you both walk up to the counter

to order, excuse yourself to use the restroom. When you come back, order your

food and then go sit on the opposite side of the restaurant.

Makes them look stupid.... in front of everybody.

:biggrin:

I thought I was savage until I knew one driver who would park so his seat was in the shade and the on-road was in full sun for an hour.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The topic of this thread is whether or not a supervisor can instruct drivers to work (drive) off the clock.

This is what you said and this is what I replied to, telling you that you were incorrect. It is not illegal to operate a vehicle while not getting paid. Contractually, it is a different issue, but I responded to what you said.

It is illegal to operate the vehicle if you are not getting paid

Around here, if you want to drive an extra 10 minutes, passing multiple restaurants and places to take your lunch, just to go to a place that you like, they will allow you to do it, but that 10 minute drive to get there, and the 10 minutes to get back, is not paid and is part of your lunch.

There is not a whole lot we can do about it. You pass 10 restaurants and drive 10 more minutes to get to the Oyster Bar, and then have that extra 10 minute drive back....well, you're just asking for trouble. We can do that here, but the Union has agreed that the extra time is not paid time. And, yes, it is legal to drive while not on the clock, or while not getting paid.

He just liked taking lunch at a certain time. Back to work the next day.

I'll bet he quit doing what he was doing...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
No one here will put a limit on distance of travel because of rural routes being extended in the country between the 3rd and 6th hr.

The only limit on travel is if you pass restaurants, where you could take your lunch, but elect to go somewhere else.

In rural areas, yes, you may have to drive 15 minutes to get to a restaurant. And this time is paid.

M

MenInBrown

I had an on car ride with me the other day and told me I need to clock into break as soon as I start driving to wherever I’m gonna take break. I’ve had older drivers tell me they clock into break only when they arrive at their break destination. Which one is the official way to do it?

Recording lunch while you were actually driving a UPS truck is falsifying documents.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Long time ago we had a ORS telling all our cover drivers that they were required to bring a lunch to work. He didn't like resi route drivers driving 10-15 min to a lunch spot and then driving back.
Yeah, and bring a catheter, let the small end stick out of the side vent, and strap the other end up on the dash.

Next suggestion Mr. On car stupe.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I was told this before and I agreed with him and he was shocked (I'm an :censored2: , especially when it comes to this stuff ). So I told him Ill use the same logic at the end of the day. He looked at me all curious. I said after I deliver my last stop I'll punch out on the customers step, drop the DIAD , package car keys on the ground and leave the truck as I walk home. His curiously quickly turned to disdain.
Gotta love job abandonment!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
The only limit on travel is if you pass restaurants, where you could take your lunch, but elect to go somewhere else.

In rural areas, yes, you may have to drive 15 minutes to get to a restaurant. And this time is paid.
Common sense isnt always portrayed as common.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Around here, if you want to drive an extra 10 minutes, passing multiple restaurants and places to take your lunch, just to go to a place that you like, they will allow you to do it, but that 10 minute drive to get there, and the 10 minutes to get back, is not paid and is part of your lunch.

There is not a whole lot we can do about it. You pass 10 restaurants and drive 10 more minutes to get to the Oyster Bar, and then have that extra 10 minute drive back....well, you're just asking for trouble. We can do that here, but the Union has agreed that the extra time is not paid time. And, yes, it is legal to drive while not on the clock, or while not getting paid.
So now we need a religious food exception along with a doctor note to bypass a restaurant to get to our restaurant of choice!

KOG72

I’m full of it
I had an on car ride with me the other day and told me I need to clock into break as soon as I start driving to wherever I’m gonna take break. I’ve had older drivers tell me they clock into break only when they arrive at their break destination. Which one is the official way to do it?
When I walk into which ever restaurant I am going to eat in is when I start mine.I need my full hour of ass in seat time.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is what you said and this is what I replied to, telling you that you were incorrect. It is not illegal to operate a vehicle while not getting paid. Contractually, it is a different issue, but I responded to what you said.

I'll bet he quit doing what he was doing...

It is illegal to force an employee to work off the clock. That is what the OP initially asked (the sup told them they had to clock out when they break off for lunch) and that is what I answered. You are answering a question that was not initially asked. You assumed the OP was referring to passing restaurants. That was not addressed in the original question.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
It is illegal to force an employee to work off the clock. That is what the OP initially asked (the sup told them they had to clock out when they break off for lunch) and that is what I answered. You are answering a question that was not initially asked. You assumed the OP was referring to passing restaurants. That was not addressed in the original question.
The thread has morphed as usual. People take side bars. It's not mugs fault.