Do you start your lunch break when you arrive, or start driving, to your break destination?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It is illegal to force an employee to work off the clock.

Yes it is.

That is what the OP initially asked (the sup told them they had to clock out when they break off for lunch)

Yes it is.

You are answering a question that was not initially asked.

I didn't respond to the OP's question, I responded to your post.

You assumed the OP was referring to passing restaurants.

I didn't assume anything. I didn't respond to his post, I responded to yours. If you assumed that the OP was not going to pass any restaurants, then that is your assumption.

That was not addressed in the original question.

I didn't respond to the original question.

Maybe you worded it wrong, or meant it differently, but I responded to what you posted. Here is what I responded to.

Your supervisor is a liar. It is illegal to operate the vehicle if you are not getting paid. Don’t ever do any work while punched out. Including, and especially, driving and/or sorting packages. The two rules to live by while on the lunch/break are......

1: Don’t drive
2: Don’t touch packages

It’s that simple! Anyone who does either or both of those are typically cowards or selfish runner and gunners.

It is not illegal to operate the vehicle if you are not getting paid.

It is illegal for your Sup to tell you to drive while your not getting paid, unless there is already an agreement in place. Maybe that's what you meant, and if it was, you are correct. But you seemed to make a blanket statement which was not correct. If you meant it the other way, I did not see it and I apologize.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The thread has morphed as usual. People take side bars. It's not mugs fault.

Well, these supposed sidebars are kind of related to the main question, unlike other threads.

We already know the answer to the OP's question. No, the Sup cannot make you clock out before you get to the restaurant, unless you are driving a considerable distance to get to the place that you want and it is already agreed to by the local.

So, OK, when can UPS make you drive while not getting paid? Or, can you legally drive while not getting paid.

Questions answered.

Faceplanted

Here's a good trick to use if they are trying to "punk you" on a ride along.

Stop a place during the contractual time period. As you both walk up to the counter

to order, excuse yourself to use the restroom. When you come back, order your

food and then go sit on the opposite side of the restaurant.

Makes them look stupid.... in front of everybody.

:biggrin:
We had a guy do this in my center, supervisor ordered. Driver came out the bathroom made a 2 minute phone call and said “alright I’m done with my break, let’s go I’m clocking back in”. Supervisor told him to sort the truck while he waited for what was now his to go meal. He didn’t get a chance to eat properly in the package car while doing a ride along.
Driver took the rest of his lunch a couple hours later.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yes it is.

Yes it is.

I didn't respond to the OP's question, I responded to your post.

I didn't assume anything. I didn't respond to his post, I responded to yours. If you assumed that the OP was not going to pass any restaurants, then that is your assumption.

I didn't respond to the original question.

Maybe you worded it wrong, or meant it differently, but I responded to what you posted. Here is what I responded to.

It is not illegal to operate the vehicle if you are not getting paid.

It is illegal for your Sup to tell you to drive while your not getting paid, unless there is already an agreement in place. Maybe that's what you meant, and if it was, you are correct. But you seemed to make a blanket statement which was not correct. If you meant it the other way, I did not see it and I apologize.
It was rather obvious that my responses were based on the original posters question. The question was ....is it OK for a soup to tell a driver that they have to clock out once they break off for lunch.

All of the assumptions were irrelevant at that point. I didn’t assume anything at that point because I did not need to because the context was clear. The OP had not mentioned passing restaurants nor had they even hinted that that was the issue that sparked the discussion with the supervisor.

The only assumptions were on your part when you brought passing restaurants into the discussion. Context often matters more than semantics.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It was rather obvious that my responses were based on the original posters question. The question was ....is it OK for a soup to tell a driver that they have to clock out once they break off for lunch.

All of the assumptions were irrelevant at that point. I didn’t assume anything at that point because I did not need to because the context was clear. The OP had not mentioned passing restaurants nor had they even hinted that that was the issue that sparked the discussion with the supervisor.

The only assumptions were on your part when you brought passing restaurants into the discussion. Context often matters more than semantics.

That's not how I took your post, but fair enough.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I had an on car ride with me the other day and told me I need to clock into break as soon as I start driving to wherever I’m gonna take break. I’ve had older drivers tell me they clock into break only when they arrive at their break destination. Which one is the official way to do it?
Do it, then 15 minutes after lunch, drive to a bathroom. Hold it in during lunch.

WorknLateHuh

damn this thread is still going?

Why does it matter when i start my lunch when i skip my lunch, put it in the board, and work through it everyday

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
What about.....wait for it...…….

seniority people?
They only scrutinize a strong steward that they hate.
The rest of the idiots that falsify make their overall numbers look better.
If I remember correctly the crap hit the fan in California when a class action lawsuit was filed for drivers forced to skip their lunch.
Then every eye was on the lunch issue for a while. This is how I remembered it but memory doesnt always retain all of the details.
Screenshot_20200131-081716_Google.jpg

It was discussed in this forum back then.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They only scrutinize a strong steward that they hate.
The rest of the idiots that falsify make their overall numbers look better.
If I remember correctly the crap hit the fan in California when a class action lawsuit was filed for drivers forced to skip their lunch.
Then every eye was on the lunch issue for a while. This is how I remembered it but memory doesnt always retain all of the details.View attachment 281539
It was discussed in this forum back then.

The result of that was the DIAD shutting down, forcing them to take lunch.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I had an on car ride with me the other day and told me I need to clock into break as soon as I start driving to wherever I’m gonna take break. I’ve had older drivers tell me they clock into break only when they arrive at their break destination. Which one is the official way to do it?
You should have asked 2 questions.

1. can I get that in writing

2. what if I get into an accident while driving around on lunch.

542thruNthru

The result of that was the DIAD shutting down, forcing them to take lunch.

This is not entirely accurate. The DIAD does not shut down and force us to take a lunch.

You have to start your lunch yourself and then the DIAD shuts down for the 30 min lunch.

Many people still do not take their lunch.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This is not entirely accurate. The DIAD does not shut down and force us to take a lunch.

You have to start your lunch yourself and then the DIAD shuts down for the 30 min lunch.

Many people still do not take their lunch.
Good way to get fired.