Do you start your lunch break when you arrive, or start driving, to your break destination?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And if anybody wants my opinion, and how it works here, you get paid until your wheels stop, with one exception.

If you elect to pass restaurants or areas that fit the DOT guideline, and you want to drive to say, your favorite place, then it's a different story about when your lunch starts.

Here, you can drive an additional 2 miles to go to the place that you want to while still on the clock.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's where the disconnect was. I didn't realize the company had to allow the personal conveyance.

Thanks

No problem. And these are just the regulations from the FMCSA about when you are allowed, under the regulations, to use personal conveyance.

My whole point behind this was that yes, you can legally drive your package car or tractor while you are off duty.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I've moved the tractor before on meal. Had some jughead park across from me and leave his headlights on. So I moved the tractor.

The ELD recorded that time as personal conveyance when the tractor was moving.

Last edited:

JJ85

i had two on road sups try that on me asking if I punch out for break after we agreed where we was gonna take lunch and drove 5 minutes out and I said no. I start my break when I stop my wheels friend$@k that and both times had nothing to say.

Overpaid Union Thug

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

DOT Regulations allow you to use your vehicle for personal conveyance. This time is off duty status and unpaid.

The topic of this thread is whether or not a supervisor can instruct drivers to work (drive) off the clock. Contract language, combined with state and federal laws, dictates that they cannot. It’s illegal.

That personal conveyance language doesn’t supersede our contract and any other laws or regulation that protects us from being forced to work off the clock. So, the OP’s supervisor, as I stated, is incorrect.

If a driver unilaterally chooses to work off the clock then that’s a whole other topic. Which should accurately be titled “Cowards and idiots.”

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
There is no policy here. Common sense will prevail in a hearing. If you drive way past a myriad of restaurants to go to a specific one you may have to bail yourself out on that but we have no policy except what is reasonably accessible between the 3rd and 6th hour of our day...unless you're in a crime ridden area proven to be unsafe.

And if anybody wants my opinion, and how it works here, you get paid until your wheels stop, with one exception.

If you elect to pass restaurants or areas that fit the DOT guideline, and you want to drive to say, your favorite place, then it's a different story about when your lunch starts.

Here, you can drive an additional 2 miles to go to the place that you want to while still on the clock.
No one here will put a limit on distance of travel because of rural routes being extended in the country between the 3rd and 6th hr.

Future

Victory Ride
This was a issue a few years back....guys where driving 10 or more minutes 2 go 2 lunch .. then x amount of time 2 return 2 the route 2 start working again ...2 cover your ass don’t do this... plan your lunch area in sequence w your route ...where there is minimal time delay between your last stop ..and then your next stop after lunch

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I loved when they would try this. I would plan my lunch and breaks so I took them all at once at my house with no travel delay. I gave the on-road the option to have me drive him to the nearest restaurant but I would not deduct the travel time from my personal time, or he could choose to broil in the Package car for an hour and a half.

In July.

He chose to broil.

This was a 5 day FU ride.

He quit less than a year later.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
This was a issue a few years back....guys where driving 10 or more minutes 2 go 2 lunch .. then x amount of time 2 return 2 the route 2 start working again ...2 cover your ass don’t do this... plan your lunch area in sequence w your route ...where there is minimal time delay between your last stop ..and then your next stop after lunch

Yep.

Had a driver doing something similar.

He would deliver along a strip that had multiple options, drive out into the country

for 2 or 3 stops, then drive back in town for lunch. They company tried to discharge

him for running up miles. (when miles mattered)

My defense was.... does he look that smart ?

He just liked taking lunch at a certain time. Back to work the next day.

:biggrin:

Future

Victory Ride
Yep.

Had a driver doing something similar.

He would deliver along a strip that had multiple options, drive out into the country

for 2 or 3 stops, then drive back in town for lunch. They company tried to discharge

him for running up miles. (when miles mattered)

My defense was.... does he look that smart ?

He just liked taking lunch at a certain time. Back to work the next day.

In rural areas I can see some leeway... not in most common places

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I loved when they would try this. I would plan my lunch and breaks so I took them all at once at my house with no travel delay. I gave the on-road the option to have me drive him to the nearest restaurant but I would not deduct the travel time from my personal time, or he could choose to broil in the Package car for an hour and a half.

In July.

He chose to broil.

This was a 5 day FU ride.

He quit less than a year later.

Here's a good trick to use if they are trying to "punk you" on a ride along.

Stop a place during the contractual time period. As you both walk up to the counter

to order, excuse yourself to use the restroom. When you come back, order your

food and then go sit on the opposite side of the restaurant.

Makes them look stupid.... in front of everybody.

Future

Victory Ride
Here's a good trick to use if they are trying to "punk you" on a ride along.

Stop a place during the contractual time period. As you both walk up to the counter

to order, excuse yourself to use the restroom. When you come back, order your

food and then go sit on the opposite side of the restaurant.

Makes them look stupid.... in front of everybody.

Call the cops when they r doing observations on you ...”someone is following me” ... I never did such, but years ago knew I few that did ...

542thruNthru

Long time ago we had a ORS telling all our cover drivers that they were required to bring a lunch to work. He didn't like resi route drivers driving 10-15 min to a lunch spot and then driving back.

Future

Victory Ride
Long time ago we had a ORS telling all our cover drivers that they were required to bring a lunch to work. He didn't like resi route drivers driving 10-15 min to a lunch spot and then driving back.
I forget the exact language on that, but there was/is something about that