Do you think this warning letter for a late Early AM is justified?

Was the warning letter justified?

• yes

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • no

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • chicken pot pie

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This driver is being a :censored2:. Period !

It's not a point of manning up or pissing off your supervisor, It's the point of destroying a relationship with a customer WHO WAS WILLING TO PAY HUGE BUCKS TO SEND AN OVERWEIGHT VIA EARLY AM. These customers don't grow on trees and losing customers this way is bad business.

We had a driver like this years ago. Eventually any over 70's were just given to the closest routes. This was way before EDD and Orion though.

I think a bonus for delivering Over 70's would appease even the strongest contract stickler.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
He gave management every opportunity to prepare for this issue, even before he left the building. We have no idea if this guy is elderly, has back issues, or is constantly under pressure from management for (insert reason obscure reason). They might just be looking for any reason to get rid of him.

He lets the customer on the vehicle to help, fired.

He hurts himself handling it by himself, fired for failing to work safety by the methods, as instructed. Plus he's out of work for god knows how long.

Management can't pick and choose when safety is important when it's inconvienent for them to supply help that they agreed to, in the contract.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This would lead to dishonesty as drivers would inflate their Over 70 numbers in the DIAD.

I think in this day and age, UPS should electronically tag every over 70 package.

You already get extra time for over 70s. You have to enter them in special counts.

That doesn't put money in your check. I'm sure this guy would want 10 over 70's in his truck if we were paid an extra 5 bucks each. Would make industrial routes more valuable at bid time.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think it was 1 1/2 minutes extra for over 70's but I wouldn't be surprised if that allowance has been greatly reduced. Technically a driver can demand another bargaining unit employee to assist him with an overweight package but if he does he is putting a target on his back. UPS now says they encourage drivers to get customer's help but no mention of consequences of whether that customer gets hurt. And basically you are expected to handle those heavy packages yourself and if you get hurt its your own fault for not knowing your own limits. After the wildcat over the increase to 150 pounds (which was immediately after a new contract was settled and UPS claimed wasn't a bargaining issue) UPS promised all over 70's would have 2 bargaining employees and also special equipment like portable rollers in package cars that didn't exist except 1 per center for demonstration purposes. UPS later changed their story to where they "encourage" drivers to get customers help and old promises vanished. Anyway, if you try to stand up to UPS over the issue expect repercussions.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Guys, you have to remember that management is there to fix issues like these when they arise. Every person here can agree this package in profit alone paid a whole days salary for this driver, yet a simple solution would have been to find a preloader to go out with him, have management follow him to the destination, allow the preloader to help unload,and brought the preloader back to the hub. For those who say "well what if you can't find another hourly", management can simply say "we exhausted all resources to find another hourly" and have the sup help the driver.

This way you have an hourly helping another, service the customer, and ensure the safety of everyone involved. But instead of doing this management once again fails to do thier job to service the customer, insure the safety of those involved, and uphold what they agreed to, all because it's inconvienent for them.

upschuck

I would have delivered it with the customer's help, but I wouldn't blame anyone that insists on going by the contract and delivering with other hourly help. He asked for help before he left, and management denied his request; I'm sure he was a little pissed that he wasn't getting help, and that influenced his decision to not deliver package. How hard is it to have had another air driver follow him out and made it his first stop, then air driver could have finished his airs afterward. center manager got busted and is pushing the crap downhill.

I may be mistaken, but there used to be a "other non delivery" option that says "over 70" or something, that can be used if no help is available, and I believe I saw it there recently.

I would have delivered it with the customer's help, but I wouldn't blame anyone that insists on going by the contract and delivering with other hourly help. He asked for help before he left, and management denied his request; I'm sure he was a little pissed that he wasn't getting help, and that influenced his decision to not deliver package. How hard is it to have had another air driver follow him out and made it his first stop, then air driver could have finished his airs afterward. center manager got busted and is pushing the crap downhill.

I may be mistaken, but there used to be a "other non delivery" option that says "over 70" or something, that can be used if no help is available, and I believe I saw it there recently.
I hit missed on an over 70 package, 3 days in a row. They finally sent me help!.lol

PT Car Washer

If a customer or their employee injures themselves on their property by working I would have to believe that would be on them. I don't remember anywhere seeing that no one can be in a package car. You can not give anyone a ride. The driver refused a delivery when he was there on time.

oldngray

nowhere special

There used to be an overweight non delivery option but that was for packages over limits (over 150 and before that over 70) but now they just tell you to deliver and UPS will charge them an extra fee later.

oldngray

nowhere special
If a customer or their employee injures themselves on their property by working I would have to believe that would be on them. I don't remember anywhere seeing that no one can be in a package car. You can not give anyone a ride. The driver refused a delivery when he was there on time.

Customer can step in your car to help but can't be there without you or when the vehicle is moving. If he gets hurt helping it shouldn't matter whether he was in the car or not.

PT Car Washer

Customer can step in your car to help but can't be there without you or when the vehicle is moving. If he gets hurt helping it shouldn't matter whether he was in the car or not.
No it shouldn't matter if he gets hurt. It is his package he is moving. How many drivers really get hurt rolling an OW out the back door. I doubt if it was a box of fine China or something else fragile.