Do you use a radio in your Package Car?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That what I have.......only we are not allowed radios in our cabs. They have to be in the cargo area but nobody bothers with that. Can't hear them.

They try to tell us we can't have radios or cell phones in our cab about once a year.
They do it because 7 out of 10 sheep believe them and comply.
I am not one of them.
I was the first in my building to rock a Dewalt construction radio.
radio.jpg
radio.jpg

flitzer

Quick question for you feeder drivers. I was reading through the contract and in Article 18, Section 8, part A it states that in order to use a CB radio an FCC license must be on file with the company. However in 47 CFR, part 95 Subpart D, the law states that the FCC does not issue licenses for the CB radio service. How can UPS require something that isn't issued? Has anyone ever been written up for this?

Thanks in advance

GolfCart

I put my radio in the back for a few days , our boss was all over us . It worked ok behind the bulk head door . At 55 mph or more I could not hear it . Now it's back in cab !! ROCKING !!

In my area a delivery truck ( not ups ) ran over the back of a car and killed 2 kids . He never hit the brakes , so ups was very hard on us for a few months .

old levi's

blank space
I just don't need a radio in the truck; I guess I'm from a generation that doesn't need to be constantly entertained.
In fact I drove a personal pickup for 21 years that did not have a radio. Have never had a CD player in my personal vehicle. Wouldn't know how to use an iPod.

over9five

Staff member
I just don't need a radio in the truck; I guess I'm from a generation that doesn't need to be constantly entertained.
Me too. Never had or wanted a radio for my 18 years in Package.

In Feeders however, you really NEED a radio. You can be in that cab 14 hours with little or no interaction with anyone else. PLUS your working weird hours and it's good to have something to keep you awake and alert.

thessalonian13

if you have / use a radio in your package car, what kind do you have? Anyone have one that picks up really good am reception?
makita radio with 18 hour lithium rechargeable battery... Great am reception and it fits in the space by the driver's side side-window and the dash... It's fairly small and nice and loud. Great price on amazon.com

SmithBarney

When I was at UPS, it depended on the route, my in town route it was worthless, I was maybe in the truck for 1minute of a song, and then gone for
my business stops did a block at a time. When I was out in rural areas, the roads were so rough I couldn't hear the music over the rattles of the truck
.. I only had a small ipod dock, probably could have bought something bigger, but didn't... Now my Econoline has a factory radio...and it's always on(mostly talk though)

OptimusPrime

Quick question for you feeder drivers. I was reading through the contract and in Article 18, Section 8, part A it states that in order to use a CB radio an FCC license must be on file with the company. However in 47 CFR, part 95 Subpart D, the law states that the FCC does not issue licenses for the CB radio service. How can UPS require something that isn't issued? Has anyone ever been written up for this?

Thanks in advance

Looking around online, it says the FCC hasn't required it since the early 80's. Though it does say you have to maintain FCC regs with your transmissions. Maybe it just means you need to be knowledgeable of those rules?

flitzer

Looking around online, it says the FCC hasn't required it since the early 80's. Though it does say you have to maintain FCC regs with your transmissions. Maybe it just means you need to be knowledgeable of those rules?

Article 18, Sec. 8, part A states: "Operators of CB Radios must conform to FCC rules and regulations and be properly licensed and license on record with the Employer."

The problem I have with that statement is the 'and'. Conforming to FCC rules and regulations is fine, but how is someone able to comply with the license issue if licenses haven't been issued since the 1980's? Is this a way to no longer permit CB radios from being installed in feeder equipment? Most importantly, has anyone faced disciplinary action on this issue?

959Nanook

Article 18, Sec. 8, part A states: "Operators of CB Radios must conform to FCC rules and regulations and be properly licensed and license on record with the Employer."

The problem I have with that statement is the 'and'. Conforming to FCC rules and regulations is fine, but how is someone able to comply with the license issue if licenses haven't been issued since the 1980's? Is this a way to no longer permit CB radios from being installed in feeder equipment? Most importantly, has anyone faced disciplinary action on this issue?

Color me ignorant but it seems to me that "properly licensed" includes not possessing a license if there is no license to be issued. Not possessing a license is complying with current FCC rules and regulations. I take it as a CYA approach for the IBT and UPS to cover all possibilities should the FCC rules and regulations change. There is no license to have on record with the Employer so you should be covered if you don't have said nonexistent license on file with UPS.

BrownChoice

Can one of you radio owners tell me if, when radio running off battery, does it charge a cell phone if phone is plugged in to an a/c outlet on the radio?
Dewalt, milwaukee, bosh.. Any of those?

looking to purchase and would like one that will charge phone off its battery!!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Im not dogging any of you guys that have a radio in the cab, but if you ask me its kinda unprofessional. Yeah I know im acting like a nerdball right now lol. But seriously you come up on a house or business and your music is up loud its kinda unprofessional. Sure some people will probably be cool with it but some wont be. Customers don't want you rollin up to them bumpin like a mother lol. They don't want to listen to what your listening too. Especially if you rollin up to mom mom and pop pop kettle feel me. That's exactly the reason why I listen to music on my sd card on my cellphone. You kill 2 birds with 1 stone in being, you can listen to whatever you want without pissing people off and you can make and answer phone calls. Just my opinion that's all and im not hatin on the people that carry radios. I could care less and totally get it.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'm ok with the radios, so long as they don't damage the PC. Do your mechanic and your relationship with him of her a favor. Do not bungee it in using the overhead wiring harnesses or the defroster ducts.

I use my cell with music loaded on it or when in cell service iheart. Through the Motorola rokr series stereo headsets. Easy controls and loud enough to block out road noise on highway with doors open. Also no wires to interfere with you. I prefer the s9 or s11.