Does FedEx have safe driving rules?

The reason I'm asking is there is Home Delivery guy that covers some of the same areas of my route that drives like an idiot. He runs every stop sign, speeds through neighborhoods, parks on the wrong side of the road (against the flow of traffic), and doesn't even try to not block the road when delivering.
Three times now I've seen him pull into a street, make a delivery, and then proceed to blindly back out of that street and on to another street even when there was a culdesac in front of him that he could have easily turned around in. If he hasn't already, he's gonna end up causing an accident. And why would someone park on the wrong side of the street and then exit the truck into the middle of the road?

l22

The reason I'm asking is there is Home Delivery guy that covers some of the same areas of my route that drives like an idiot. He runs every stop sign, speeds through neighborhoods, parks on the wrong side of the road (against the flow of traffic), and doesn't even try to not block the road when delivering.
Three times now I've seen him pull into a street, make a delivery, and then proceed to blindly back out of that street and on to another street even when there was a culdesac in front of him that he could have easily turned around in. If he hasn't already, he's gonna end up causing an accident. And why would someone park on the wrong side of the street and then exit the truck into the middle of the road?

Express does, not sure about the other companies in the conglomerate.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Yes, we have safe driving rules. But they're tossed out in favor of driving faster and more recklessly for additional profit. FedEx talks out of both sides of it's mouth on safety....it's ajoke.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Sounds like most Ground/HD drivers to me. Increasingly, this is also true for Express drivers because of massive turnover, low quality hires, and short, crappy training.

l22

Yes, we have safe driving rules. But they're tossed out in favor of driving faster and more recklessly for additional profit. FedEx talks out of both sides of it's mouth on safety....it's ajoke.

^ Different company but a lot of the same type of pressure to drive faster, if not more. Every courier needs to be like the guy in this video.

nstpaul55106

When I worked at FedEx before I came to brown, seat belts where optional, backing up was a way of life, and horns, never heard of such a thing. Because FedEx Ground and HD are contractors they do not have the resources for tele-matics in their 3+ trucks. So they can not create a truly safe working environment.

That's scary! I even had a customer praise me this past week for stopping completely at stop signs. She said she called FedEx to complain about this driver, but didn't know the difference between Express, Ground, and HD, so the complaint never went any further.

STFXG

Who cares unless he gets in an accident or gets a ticket? FedEx doesn't. If he gets a ticket for running a stop sign he will be disqualified from driving.

dezguy

When I worked at FedEx before I came to brown, seat belts where optional, backing up was a way of life, and horns, never heard of such a thing. Because FedEx Ground and HD are contractors they do not have the resources for tele-matics in their 3+ trucks. So they can not create a truly safe working environment.
You don't need telematics to not drive like a dick. I don't have telematics in my truck but it doesn't stop me from driving like a professional.

ManInBrown

UPS does the same thing. Same BS spewing safety safety safety when in reality they could care less about it

whenIgetthere

Sounds like the Home delivery guy on my route. This guy drives around in a sprinter with the side door open all day, even on the main roads. Wonder how many packages he's lost that way.

Z

ZQXC

Yes they do.

• You must be on the phone at all times
  • Bulkhead door will remain open
  • Never switch off the engine
  • Always nose into a 14 foot driveway
  • Seat belt is optional

FilingBluesFL

The home delivery dude in the area I work in is reckless as hell. Hell, he even "sorts" his sprinter out in the middle of the street, doesn't matter where he is. Doors open, packages all in the road all over.

I saw him stop and do a residential pickup once, backed half the truck in to the driveway, the other half sticking out.

There's also an island we deliver on, dude goes flying up and down the roads, and they're only one lane tight roads.

Purplepackage

A customer can call and complain but there is no real way to prove the complaint and if there was no accident nothing will be done.

Guy at my station (express) has been working there for 20 years and I swear every time he pulls into the building he touches a yellow pole, it's almost how you know he's pulling in.

Other than that I like to think we all drive safely, the ground guy on my route was looking at his phone one day and crossed lanes for about 5 seconds and almost hit me as I was passing him. Now that would've been a nice news report

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Yes they do.

• You must be on the phone at all times
  • Bulkhead door will remain open
  • Never switch off the engine
  • Always nose into a 14 foot driveway
  • Seat belt is optional
• Do not risk contracting genital disease by using public restroom - use customer driveway instead

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Our first generation sprinters are having trouble with the side and rear doors opening while driving or, taking certain turns. Anyone else seeing this?