does ups have any plans to bump more zips to 10:30 this year??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Anyone know if ups plans on moving any more zip codes to 1030 for 2008? There hasnt been any moved up earlier for many years, seems like a good volume grabber from fedsux.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've seen more move to noon than the other way. We keep getting our volume later and starting later. When the air wraps before the ground there is a problem that mgmnt chooses not to concern itself with. Hey, they don't have to run the route.

rod

Retired 22 years
They have already promised more than they are capable of delivering - especially with the late starts

LeddySS98

I just found out today that they had increased the NDA coverage area as I'm holding two NDA grids both about 15 miles apart in oposite directions. Leaving at 9:30 with Costco, Bestbuy, Target, Shopko, Michaels, TJ max, Sportsmans, and Home Depot bulk stops all needing to come off since they all have air mixed in as well.:whiteflag:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have noon commits. The guy that had the area next to me almost screwed himself out of his noon commits. Since he was an EAM driver he would deliver all his regular air immediately so he didn't have to break later. Management was noticing that he was delivering all his noon commits by 10am so whynot lower his commit time to 1030am. Some how he convinced them not to. This is why I run trace until 1140 and then break to run any commits I have left.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have noon commits. The guy that had the area next to me almost screwed himself out of his noon commits. Since he was an EAM driver he would deliver all his regular air immediately so he didn't have to break later. Management was noticing that he was delivering all his noon commits by 10am so whynot lower his commit time to 1030am. Some how he convinced them not to. This is why I run trace until 1140 and then break to run any commits I have left.

I'm up here in the sticks in NCPa and I have 10:30 commits and you have noon in HBG! :censored2::censored2::censored2:!!

rod

Retired 22 years
It's a proven fact that given enough time someone will always shoot themselves in the foot if they aren't careful. Heaven forbid a person tries to cut the customer some slack

DorkHead

Anyone know if ups plans on moving any more zip codes to 1030 for 2008? There hasnt been any moved up earlier for many years, seems like a good volume grabber from fedsux.

I always thought that whatever Fedex`s time commits were, we would match them. So when they change, we change.

barnyard

KTM rider
We just had 2 zips move to 10:30 on Monday and have 2 or 3 more coming soon. All the zips that are moving to 10:30 have large areas to cover and routinely did not have all their air off till 11:50-11:59.

We have also been told that we cannot utilize air drivers.

It seems to me that this is a mistake on the part of UPS.

TB

ol'browneye

At our satelite they just made all of Ourtown noon commits! We used to have Ourtown which was a noon commit. We also had OurtownOCL which had no commit time at all! (Some names have been changed to protect the innocent until proven guilty) When EDD was set up, IE designated which addresses were "in town" and which ones were OCL, that is "outside city limits". So in the diad, in town air would show noon commits. Any address that wasn't in town would actually show up as Ourtown OCL on the address screen and would have no commit time. Now, any pkg with this zip will have a noon commit and nda savers I think have a 4:30 commit. I talked to another driver from a nearby extended center and they are doing the same thing with a couple of towns they service. Some of these air in this other center could be 40plus miles from the center! Our satelite won't be near that bad, but bad enough! I guess our routes will just have to be cut 10-15 stops to make up for all the pulling to get air! And on top of that, our start time isn't until 9:45!

DS

Fenderbender
My truck was a mess this morning,over 100 stops,but the worst was 29 noon commits.8 10:30 and the rest nooners.I got the sup to take off 23 stops and told him I might need help later....had them meet me and the eam guy took 15 more ....got all my air and ground off ,then found 1 10:30 and one nooner too late...life is a highway

Big Babooba

I have both 10:30 and noon commit times. It seems that the noon commits are harder to make than the 10:30 commits because they are so far away and spread out.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
i have 10 30 and noon as well. i struggle witht the noon because they seem to think that you can break off and run 15 miles to get rid of two stops. i believe the answer i got from a sup was " you have till noon i dont see what the problem is, I never have late air from anyone else on that route"

rod

Retired 22 years
i have 10 30 and noon as well. i struggle witht the noon because they seem to think that you can break off and run 15 miles to get rid of two stops. i believe the answer i got from a sup was " you have till noon i dont see what the problem is, I never have late air from anyone else on that route"
Aw - the old everyone else is GREAT and you are a SLUG responce. A UPS management classic:happy2: