does ups pay royalties to fedex for the use of scanning software??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So a few days ago I had a customer tell me that ups pays fedex royalties for barcode software that they developed. This was told to him by a member of his family that worked for fedex. I told him that I had never heard of that, but maybe that was true...sort of like the zip+4 system that the post office started, I thought that ups does(or did) pay the usps rights to use this. Has anyone heard of this? I also had another customer tell me that one of his family members use to buy used ups vehicles and fix them up and use them as utility or moving vans. Now I just kept my mouth shut, but I was thinking to myself that this was bullshet, I thought ups was very strict about the crushing of the vehicles. Its the ol story of my fathers friends brothers aunt....yada yada. You know that the customers always know best!!!!:dead:

Big Babooba

Bar codes and scanners were around long before FedEx started up. Fred S was 8 years old when the bar code was patented in 1952. He was probably playing with his Howdy Doody puppet back then. The MaxiCode is our invention. It's the postage stamp sized square with a pattern of dots and a bullseye in the middle.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
the truth is, and this is from a VERY good source; my unlce's cousin's neighbor who got it from her hair dresser's janitor boyfriend who got it from the highway toll taker's sister's ballpark vendor friend that that tale is false.

tieguy

Banned
the truth is, and this is from a VERY good source; my unlce's cousin's neighbor who got it from her hair dresser's janitor boyfriend who got it from the highway toll taker's sister's ballpark vendor friend that that tale is false.

that does it for me:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The ZIP code is the system of postal codes used by the United States Postal Service (USPS). The letters ZIP, an acronym for Zone Improvement Plan,[1] are properly written in capital letters and were chosen to suggest that the mail travels more efficiently, and therefore more quickly, when senders use the code. The basic format consists of five numerical digits. An extended ZIP + 4 code includes the five digits of the ZIP code, a hyphen, and four more digits that determine a more precise location than the ZIP code alone. The term ZIP Code was originally registered as a servicemark (a type of trademark) by the U.S. Postal Service but its registration has since expired.[2]

The above is from Wikipedia. As you can read from the last line, the SM on the Zip Code has expired so it's use by other entities is unlimited.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The ZIP code is the system of postal codes used by the United States Postal Service (USPS). The letters ZIP, an acronym for Zone Improvement Plan,[1] are properly written in capital letters and were chosen to suggest that the mail travels more efficiently, and therefore more quickly, when senders use the code. The basic format consists of five numerical digits. An extended ZIP + 4 code includes the five digits of the ZIP code, a hyphen, and four more digits that determine a more precise location than the ZIP code alone. The term ZIP Code was originally registered as a servicemark (a type of trademark) by the U.S. Postal Service but its registration has since expired.[2]

The above is from Wikipedia. As you can read from the last line, the SM on the Zip Code has expired so it's use by other entities is unlimited.

thanks for the info upstate.

air_upser

The standard UPC bar code has nothing to do with fedex. The square smart code(I forget the official name) was developed and patented by UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So a few days ago I had a customer tell me that ups pays fedex royalties for barcode software that they developed. This was told to him by a member of his family that worked for fedex.
Checked with the person that has worked in the barcodes group for 10 years +. He said this is definitely not true. Most of the barcoding patents are expired or owned by Symbol Technologies. As for the Maxicode (UPS originally called it Dense Code) it was invented by a group of engineers working at our Danbury R&D location back in the early nineties. It was developed so that packages could be sorted in our automated facilities with their fast moving belts.