Does UPS use a temp agency anywhere?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Needle Ran, May 17, 2019.

1. Needle Ran

Needle Ran Member

I have a friend who interviewed at a well known temp agency (that I'd rather not mention). He says that he bombed the interview but the guy told him he could get him back into UPS despite the fact that he's been involuntarily discharged.

Is this 100% BS as it sounds? I've never heard of HR using temp agencies in my area and recruiters for temps aren't exactly known for their shining honesty, but this seems like too big of a lie even for someone in that profession.

2. BakerMayfield2018

BakerMayfield2018 Fight the power.

Yes

3. Needle Ran

Needle Ran Member

Yes they use temps or yes it's BS?

4. BakerMayfield2018

BakerMayfield2018 Fight the power.

Take a look at your post and the only question mark in it.

5. PASinterference

PASinterference Yes, I know I'm working late.

I know they used Kelly Temporary Services back in the 90's for OMS "jobs". I think they keep about half your check for a long time if not forever.

6. Needle Ran

Needle Ran Member

Interesting.

They've always had more relaxed standards when it came to managers for some reason.
    I sort of already knew, but it's very odd the rep would say UPS when they have the strictest rehire policy of any major employer.

At least I know never to trust that temp firm whenever I need a job lol

7. PappyLand

PappyLand Active Member

They probably pay them to recruit people.

8. PASinterference

PASinterference Yes, I know I'm working late.

Remember this was back in the 90's. Completely different company now. Who knows what those clowns use now for employment services.. parole lists, wanted posters, etc.

9. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

Every Monday morning the division manager drives an old brown bus down to the local parole board and tells the desk sergeant "give me another 10 for my preload". Thats our temp agency in these parts.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. polyp

polyp Member

Not outside of peak. At least not at my building.

11. just chillin'

just chillin' Rest in peace wooba

during peak i believe the helper coordinators and maybe an extra OMS or two were hired through a temp agency.

12. Kae3106

Kae3106 Active Member

Temp agencies are used a lot for office jobs in the support functions. With cost cutting and transformation, they prefer temps who can be dismissed with a phone call and no severance.

13. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

How do you "bomb" a temp agency interview? v What did your friend do to get fired from UPS?

14. Poop Head

Poop Head rubber bands on the handle

I was wondering the same thing!

I interviewed at a temp place once. They asked me what I thought my ideal occupation would be. I told them "throwing boulders".
    I started a ft job two days later

15. Austin.Was.My.Hero

I can't decide if its funny or sad that he was hired by UPS, but can't get hired by a temp agency.

16. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

we use temp agencies to fill OMS and helper coordinator spots, since we think anyone can do those jobs

naturally that’s totally wrong and they’re actually intermediate skill positions that can have big impacts on production and service in unseen ways, but hey what do i know

17. Needle Ran

Needle Ran Member

Some temp firms are more strict than others.

He claims he was given a behavioral interview (those "tell me about" questions) which is uncommon in warehouse so it threw him off.

I'm assuming it was more an issue with that particular rep just being extremely picky and not having the guts to tell him he went in another direction.

Edit: Oh and he says he got fired for getting to many "salts" on the load end. Usually any more than 5 on probation and they fire you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Next time, he should try Googling "most common interview questions" before the actual interview.

19. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

yes that is true

20. Turkleton

Turkleton There's always women at the pool, baby!

UPS SCS locations use them.

For Mail Innovations, the hourly staffing is comprised entirely of temps and the only UPS presence is PT supes and up.

In medical, it's a mix of both and a temp-to-hire.