Dog attack. Pennsylvania

BUCN85

Most people are very dumb when it comes to their dogs. I have only 1 smart person on my route who said “ we have an invisible fence for our new German Sheppard. But we don’t trust it. Just leave our stuff down the drive”. (Long drive). That response is so much better than oh she will just lick you to death...smh

The Driver

I drive.
I had a very young shepherd come running out from the garage yesterday. Had to turn around and stick the DIAD out and yell at it to get back. The owner came out with a startled and offended look on her face. I told her if I get bit that I'm the one that gets in trouble.

Freaking morons do NOT get it. You have to protect yourself, can't rely on others do it for you.

I was going to explain to her that I just had read that a driver in Pennsylvania came within inches of her life from a dog attack but I decided not to waste my breath.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is why I dont walk off long driveways.
If there are loose dogs on the property I want to find out about it while I am still in the package car, not 50 yards away from it with no means of defending myself.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Learned my lesson today, At one stop the front door had a note that said bring packages to the back, so as i go strolling around the corner without yelling ups a huge german shepard came at me and i pretty much crapped my pants but held my ground and the package in front of me and slowly backed away, he came at me and i kept backing up and eventually the invisible electric fence i didnt see got him. Scared the living :censored2: out of me and i called the owner and chewed her out asking why she would have a vicious dog in the back yard with no beware of dog signs and why a sign telling the package person to go to the back door knowing the dog is back there. So don't forget to yell ups or jingle your keys when going around corners you cant see. I also told her i will never again deliver to her back door, only the front.

But she really likes it in the backdoor

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yeah, those invisible fence systems kinda suck... had a dog with the battery in his collar that wore down & he really ran past the flagged boundary lines

Owner wuz surprised.

I put my head on a swivel from now on

margaritaville

German Shepards seem like the most sketch dogs when im delivering. Because they seem smart like they are really thinking about things. One ran up to my truck and peed next to it probably trying to intimidate me. I was thinking, "bitch ill fight you but im not trying to start drama for myself." So just drove off. Little dogs are the only dogs that actually have bit me though. I'm just not a dog person. The only type of dog i like is a shy, quite dog, that is friendly. Any dog that barks a lot is nails on a chalkboard.

soberups

German Shepards seem like the most sketch dogs when im delivering. Because they seem smart like they are really thinking about things. One ran up to my truck and peed next to it probably trying to intimidate me. I was thinking, "bitch ill fight you but im not trying to start drama for myself." So just drove off. Little dogs are the only dogs that actually have bit me though. I'm just not a dog person. The only type of dog i like is a shy, quite dog, that is friendly. Any dog that barks a lot is nails on a chalkboard.
German Shepards and Chows are the worst. Can’t read their body language. Can’t tell what they are thinking when they just stand there and stare at you. They are fickle, even the friendly ones are hard for me to trust. And they are big and strong enough to mess you up if you guess wrong.

oldngray

nowhere special
German Shepards and Chows are the worst. Can’t read their body language. Can’t tell what they are thinking when they just stand there and stare at you. They are fickle, even the friendly ones are hard for me to trust. And they are big and strong enough to mess you up if you guess wrong.

I never had trouble with Shepherds but I agree its difficult to read their body language.

Chows are just plain crazy.

soberups

I would rather deal with dogs that are always loose on the property versus the ones that are normally kept inside or in a fenced area. I can get to know the ones that are always loose, and if I dont know them I can at least see them and assess their behavior from the safety of the package car prior to exiting. The ones that I hear barking from inside or in the back are the worst, because Murphy’s Law says that at some point the gate or door that secures them will get opened by accident and it will happen at the exact moment that you are on the porch with a package.

soberups

This stop is a perfect example of how loose dogs can actually be safer for us.
I have been delivering to this farm for almost 10 years. The dogs have always come to the door to get a biscuit. When an old dog dies, they get a new one who learns from the rest of the pack how to behave around the UPS truck. And their owner frequently comes out to say “hi” and engage in pleasant conversation. So these dogs are never stressed out or protective because their human is friendly and relaxed, so they do not sense any conflict or anger.
It would be downright scary for me if those dogs were always locked up and I had no way of knowing how they might behave if they got loose.
76D211F2-BACA-4BC4-B945-0D623F078289.jpeg

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When a customer on my route gets a new dog, they want to leave the dog in the house. I always ask them if I can meet the dog and then make a big fuss over the dog so he can see that I’m okay. I’d rather meet a dog with it’s owner there so it feels comfortable. After that, they’re friends for life.

soberups

When a customer on my route gets a new dog, they want to leave the dog in the house. I always ask them if I can meet the dog and then make a big fuss over the dog so he can see that I’m okay. I’d rather meet a dog with it’s owner there so it feels comfortable. After that, they’re friends for life.
+100000
First impressions are everything.
The owner’s behavior is a huge factor also. If the owner is yelling at the dog, the dog will be anxious and stressed out. But if the owner is casually chatting with you like they dont have a care in the world, the dog won’t either.