Dog Killer!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
On one resi del I came upon a German Shepard who really wanted to "tear me a new one", the package was some sort of drapery (about 6 feet long) I kept knocking this dog on his head until he ran to the back of the house.

I thought twice about leaving the package at the door and returning to the truck "unarmed", hell I just left it at the front gate.

Griff

Killed zero animals while at work, knock on wood.

I haven't found a dog that can out-sprint me yet. Had some really close calls with pitbulls in bad parts of town though. Once I had to lock myself behind the bulkhead door and the owner came out and got it about 2 minutes later. If it would have caught me and I had to defend myself, it would of been a fight to the death and i'm not sure who would have died. I've heard the "don't run" stuff several times now, I don't subscribe to that school of thought. I trust my instincts and they don't tell me to stand my ground in these situations.

JustTired

free at last.......
I delivered to a house that had 2 australian sheperds. The first time they just watched me walk up to the house and leave a pkg on the porch. Then they wouldn't let me off the porch. Nobody home. I just stood there for about 5 min. They finally just walked away and went to the back of the house. After that I just sat in the road and honked whenever they had a pkg. If nobody came, I left a notice. One day I noticed that there wasn't any dogs and when the man came out to get the pkg, I asked him where they were. He said they had to put one of them down.............because it killed the other one. Holy crap!!

You really have to watch out when there is more than one dog. They start working you. It's hard to keep an eye on several dogs at the same time.

Oh yeah......I've hit one dog. Should have been dead, but the darn thing survived. It learned its' lesson. Stopped chasing the truck for a while. I've been bitten 6 times. Nothing bad, but it still hurts.

Big Babooba

I've had one hit and one assist. One day a dog came out of a garage that I was passing and ran into the side of the truck. He bounced off and limped back to the house. My assist came when a dog that loved to chase me crossed the street to get me. An oncoming truck squashed him flatter than a pancake.

browned_out

I have had lots of close calls but have not killed one yet. I keep telling these bozo's to keep there dogs locked up but you know how some country folk are. No fences, dogs running loose. I have been bitten four times, nothing major but I did clock one dog with the diad. He was not letting me out of the property and he suddenly lunged at me with teeth showing, I swung the diad like a baseball bat and sent him rollling about 3 feet. Worse part is he jumped up without missing a beat and was ready for round 2, lucky for me I was able to escape with no injurys.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was mentioning some of these "dog posts" to hubby. He told me that when he was a driver the funniest incident was when a dog was chasing his package car full speed and the dog ran into a parked car.
The dog got up stunned and walked away.

Reminds me of a rule for the dog....Get the big picture!

dillweed

I never hit anything as an air driver but did pull over once to help an injured squirrel limp off the road. Commit time my rear. :cool:

disneyworld

I was mentioning some of these "dog posts" to hubby. He told me that when he was a driver the funniest incident was when a dog was chasing his package car full speed and the dog ran into a parked car.

That's what I try to make them do. I stay as close to the side of the road as possible hoping he'll take his eye off his path, hitting a fence post,telephone pole, anything.

over9five

Staff member
"...so I took him today to get neutered."

That was my favorite tale!

The only thing I've ever hit was a Canada Goose. Didn't get out of the road fast enough. They're a big bird, really rocked my P12 going over it...

diesel96

Killed-2 dogs, canal duck, squirrel, armadillos, opossum, snake, and a Iguana.....Since driving feeders I've had a couple close calls with deers.....I believe it's inevitable though, you can't swerve doubles at 68-70 mphs

huskres

I had one yesterday where the house has a 4 foot gate you can jump over but two 150lb or so dogs. So I buzzed her and she was like what are you gonna do. I told her your gonna come get it or not get your package. She was like why they dont bite...I sure havent heard that one before...

Bernese Mountain Dogs these dogs are giant about 120 pounds have a ton on the route will scare the pants off you the first time you see one.. but funny thing is they're friendly is can be. I've run into about 15 different ones and they all have the same "I'm an idiot I like to jump around like a big bear temperament". I like them.

600px-Bouvier_Bernois_BE.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Bernese Mtn. Dogs have been a favorite breed of mine for a long time......I just can't have a dog that big, but they are beautiful.

pkgdriver

LMAO

Local 804 ill be 4-6 seconds behind you(under 30) and will finish Vick off if you don't first.

No hits or bites just lots of treats

satellitedriver

Bernese Mountain Dogs these dogs are giant about 120 pounds have a ton on the route will scare the pants off you the first time you see one.. but funny thing is they're friendly is can be. I've run into about 15 different ones and they all have the same "I'm an idiot I like to jump around like a big bear temperament". I like them.

600px-Bouvier_Bernois_BE.jpg
I would not be afraid of this type of dog. Any driver with any experience can see the look in the eyes.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Once I was covering for another driver and nailed a chocolate lab with the front bumper of a P500, he lived, but his head was all swollen...lol. 2 cats and countless birds and squirrels KIA. One of those cats I felt awful about. Pulled up to the house, delvd, went back and looked at the map for a second and took off down the dead street to turn around in cul-de-sac. When I drove back by the house, right in front of the mailbox, to my horror was a lil fluffy white cat. I didn't even feel the "bump" Called sup and explained, he said "Keep rollin" Some poor kid probably came home from school that day to find, Snowball all mangled in front the mailbox....:crying:

C

Connecticut Yankee

I never killed a dog, but killed a bird. I was making a bulk stop at a residential address. I had the back door open while I was carting the packages. A sparrow flew in and perched up on the door guides. My next delivery was 5 houses down so I left the back door open and drove forward, figuring the damn bird would feel the rush of air and fly out the back. That crazy bitch flew threw my open bulk head door and broke its neck on the windshield. Felt bad, but did what i could for it and kicked it out the side door

satellitedriver

Over 27 years and never hit a dog at work. Many a bird have hit my windshield and died.
I hate it, but at least it was quick. A pheasant broke my windshield. Had a roadrunner that jumped at the wrong time and was stuck in the front grill of a Sprinter. He was of course dead and when he was pulled out part of the grill came with him.

I've been bitten once. The dog didn't even bark at me. He got me while I was stepping back into the truck. It was a cow dog. I guess he was hearding me.

I carry bisquits and love dogs. I've only encountered one dog that has really scared me.
Last year I had a Bull Mastiff knock the front glass door down and come straight for me.
That was the biggest dog I have ever seen. They say not to run but I would have anyway if I could have. Hell, I was too scared to move. Long story short the woman came out and tried to hold him but could not. Finally the husband came out and got some control of him. A week later there was a picture of the dog at the Subway in this small town I was in saying the dog was missing and that he looked mean but was not. The dog was never found and I would bet he was done in by the locals. I still watch my back when I deliver there.
The basic instinct in man is fight or flight.
Your telling of being able to outrun every dog chasing you helped me recall an incident that happened 20 yrs ago.
A friend set up a box at his gate with signed delivery notices.( the days before DR)
He left a padlock in the box and I would deliver the pkg and he knew when he came home that when he saw the lock on the box he had a delivery.
As I was closing the box, I heard a growl. I spun around and was facing two big dogs just about to get me, one on each leg. The fight was on. Fist, feet and clipboard. As dogs do, they were attacking and trying to circle to my back. I had no option to run, only fight.
I must have looked like a Kung Fu Master spinning around in a cheap Hong Kong movie.
Screaming my War Cry at the top of my lungs and striking anything that got close to me.
At this point I was a Beserker.
(Just to give some context to this story, I was mauled by a dog at the age of two. Funny as it seems, I can still recall the heat and smell of that dogs breath as it was biting into my face.)
Apparently, I won the fight. They dove under the fence and started running away.
Someone forgot to tell me the fight was over. I jumped the gate and ran after them. My plan was to kill them with my bare hands.
After about 75 yards I stopped, and said to myself "What the Hell are you doing?"
Walking back to my truck, I checked for wounds. Amazingly, there was none.
It all comes down to if you are cornered, fight
If you are not,
run like Hells dogs are chasing you.
Now, if there is a true threat of getting into a dog fight. The people do not get their delivery.
My sage words of wisdom, that I tell my customers.
If it has teeth, it can bite.
If I do not feed it, I do not trust it.
PAX