Don’t work too hard

I guy on preload, whose been there there for like 12 years I think, told a new hire today that “working as hard as you can is one of the biggest mistakes you can can make here.”
What do you think he meant by this?

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
It's not a sprint, its a marathon. He is trying to speak wisdom and teach you that working harder than you should will result in more work and a bad back or knees.

rickyb

I guy on preload, whose been there there for like 12 years I think, told a new hire today that “working as hard as you can is one of the biggest mistakes you can can make here.”
capitalism 101 says you are paid by the hour and if you dont think you will be rewarded for your work ethic then just do bare minimum to keep your job!

Integrity

Binge Poster
My take on this:

I have heard a UPS management person say to a young and upcoming part-time sup say “ If you don’t plan on riding the backs of your good employees then you will not make it here”

This was in response to rewarding his productive workers with the easier jobs such as helping smalls, gathering missorts.

Needless to say he left the company.

and UPS still uses up good employees by rewarding them with more work and the crap employees get moved to smalls to sort envelopes.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The work grinds you down good but does not really build you back up. If you want some improvement, slow progress through work efficiencies and the gym are the way to go.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I heard it phrased a little differently.
"The more you do, the more they'll make you do."

But it comes out to the same thing.

If you give them everything you have, they'll ask for that plus 5% more, the next day.

You will never do "enough".

Work hard, but make sure you are being fair to yourself, as well.

Est.1998

There’s only one thing heroes at UPS get. More work.
Everyone expects heroes to save the day in all walks of life.
UPS is no different.
When things are going bad,
Super-So and So will save the day!
"Look at that poor bastard, looks like he'll be out there close to 14 hours"