Don't put yourself in this situation.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I hate to bring it up, but it always happens in these situations.

How much is the mother going to sue UPS for?

The parents of the kid who fell into the gorilla enclosure are suing for $10 million dollars, and that kid is fine.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
I hate to bring it up, but it always happens in these situations.

How much is the mother going to sue UPS for?

The parents of the kid who fell into the gorilla enclosure are suing for $10 million dollars, and that kid is fine.

No, they're not

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
fatigue probably played a major factor in this accident. it has been scientifically proven that a persons reflexes, awareness, etc. is hampered by fatigue . equal to having a couple drinks or more depending on amount of fatique.

drivers have been given DWI ( driving while impaired ) for driving fatigued or sleepy. it almost happened to me a couple times after long 14 plus snow nights on the drive home in my personal vehicle. was pulled over by highway patrol for weaving all over the road. thank god i still had my uniform on and after telling him about my night he explained that i could get a DWI for the way i was driving. he let me go with a warning. sometimes afterwards i would take a 15 min nap before going home.

you PC drivers may start the day at 100 % but after 10 or more hrs of work it is probably at 70 % or less.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

fatigue probably played a major factor in this accident. it has been scientifically proven that a persons reflexes, awareness, etc. is hampered by fatigue . equal to having a couple drinks or more depending on amount of fatique.

drivers have been given DWI ( driving while impaired ) for driving fatigued or sleepy. it almost happened to me a couple times after long 14 plus snow nights on the drive home in my personal vehicle. was pulled over by highway patrol for weaving all over the road. thank god i still had my uniform on and after telling him about my night he explained that i could get a DWI for the way i was driving. he let me go with a warning. sometimes afterwards i would take a 15 min nap before going home.

you PC drivers may start the day at 100 % but after 10 or more hrs of work it is probably at 70 % or less.

Fatigue had nothing to do with it.

The kid is dead because our driver failed to do a walk around upon returning to the vehicle.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I read this post last night and then today I worked Saturday air. As I pulled up to a stop I noticed 4 little kids kicking a soccer ball a few houses away and I instantly thought of this thread. As I was walking back to my PC I only saw 3 kids and no soccer ball. Well the ball got kicked under a truck 2 vehicles ahead of me and the little girl who grabbed it didn't turn her head once when crossing the street.

I am glad I took the advice one of you posted earlier about counting kids and making sure they are all there or else maybe I would have drove up and not seen her behind the truck. It's crazy how these situations happen more often then people think so please be safe people and keep a close eye on kids anywhere in the general area of you PC!

oldngray

nowhere special
You could walk around your truck to make sure it was clear but in the time it takes to get in and go a little kid could still dart underneath. A tragic situation the driver will have to live with the rest of his life.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Walking around the whole vehicle after every stop? Yeah, they better reduce my stop count then.

Common sense would dictate the need for the walk around.

Case in point: I go home for my meal break. I park on a seldom-used side street adjacent to my home. The pkg car will have sat unattended for at least 45 minutes so I will do a thorough walk around when my break is done.

If you pull up to a stop and see 3 kids playing nearby there had best be 3 kids accounted for before you pull away.

oldupsman

Hitting a child was always my worse nightmare.Whenever there were children anywhere near the package car
I always did a walk around and looked under the car.

clean hairy

Lets pause a moment in this discussion for some thought.
I will be Praying for the Family that lost their only Child, and how long if ever they can accept their Child is gone.
Along with the poor kids that witnessed this horrific event, Prayers someday they will no longer wake up with nightmares they are sure to have.
Prayers for the Driver who will spend the rest of their life wondering "what could I have done different to avoid this tragedy?"
I cannot begin to imagine a person having to deal with that the rest of their life!
Prayers for all others affected by this tragedy as well!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My PC area I had for 9 years was about 70% residential. There were kids around a lot of the time, playing, especially during the summer. I was always cognizant of the amount of kids around. More times than I can remember, a kid would jump on the rear bumper for a ride. I'd walk around and tell him to get lost. Kids just don't think about the consequences.

Browntown2014

Agree ..... But us old guys should re up are awareness....pull aside younger drivers and tell them what to be aware of ....I will do so Monday morning

Yea please come up to me in the morning and tell me to look under the truck after everyone of my 210 stops, should be a fun convo.