Don't put yourself in this situation.

JL 0513

Tragic. I don't know how I could deal with such an incident.

I'd like to know why a 5 year old was unsupervised in a busy apartment complex. I wouldn't let my 5 year old out of sight in the country. Feel horrible for the parents but where were they?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
monday morning quarterbacks. you could be absolutely PERFECT and this could still happen. do a walk around , look under PC and by the time you returned to the driver seat and turned the key a little kid could scoot under the car or come out of nowhere on a bicycle. it happens all the time in a SPLIT SECOND.

so don't say this was preventable.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
monday morning quarterbacks. you could be absolutely PERFECT and this could still happen. do a walk around , look under PC and by the time you returned to the driver seat and turned the key a little kid could scoot under the car or come out of nowhere on a bicycle. it happens all the time in a SPLIT SECOND.

so don't say this was preventable.

You telling people about safety at ups is comical. Weren't you just bragging about how you plowed through a snow storm at high rates of speed in feeders to get the trailers to the hub "on time"? Didn't you say how you couldn't even see the road for all the snow?

Yeah and you're going to lecture people on here who do this job every day and face these realities happening to them?

How many years did you spend in package????17? 35? Which one of your lies will you fall back on?

brown67

Even in Feeders. Had a driver find a homeless man sleeping under a trailer. Raining out and the guy crawled under the trailer to stay dry and fell asleep.

Luke Thighrocker

Look under you vehicle every time you come back to it?

What's next, look to see if kids climb on the roof?

It's a terrible tragedy, but the blame is on the parents.

I have 3 kids and trust me when they were 5, we watched them like hawks.

I might be reading more into your post than I should but, if I had $5 to wager and you had a Facebook, I'd bet all 5 that you shared a Harambe meme this week...

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
A 5 year old is not capable of keeping themselves safe.

There are a group that favor FREE RANGE PARENTING letting their kids run wild.

I call that type of parenting reckless and it tends to THIN THE HERD.

I didn't make myself clear; the family is not suing the Cincinnati zoo.

mrbrownstone

Fatigue had nothing to do with it.

The kid is dead because our driver failed to do a walk around upon returning to the vehicle.

Sure, because I do 200+ stops a day, usually 215 to 230 and I'm going to walk around the vehicle every time.

I'm already getting on and off the car 400+ times a day. Add walking around the whole vehicle each and every time will make a 10-11 hr day a 13+ hour day.

We are humans not machines.

Always blaming a driver who is not a machine is sad.

UPS is equivalent to Satan...."A wolf in sheeps clothing."

Savvy412

Iv gotten a message at 715 saying

"MUST BE IN BY 8:00 OR FACE DISCIPLINE"

had to help a driver out and take his pick ups...so I had all his work on my truck PLUS I still had 40 stops left. If I hit some one or something, yes it is my fault. But they have something to do wit that too. I dont care what anyone says.

Savvy412

Textbook management hindsight response. Next time your on a safety ride, do this for every stop. let us know who it goes over with the sup.

Haha ya, im going to do a THOROUGH check under the pc everytime..Hhahah! cant wait to see his response. Especially during my air!

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Common sense would dictate the need for the walk around.

Case in point: I go home for my meal break. I park on a seldom-used side street adjacent to my home. The pkg car will have sat unattended for at least 45 minutes so I will do a thorough walk around when my break is done.

If you pull up to a stop and see 3 kids playing nearby there had best be 3 kids accounted for before you pull away.
Sup in my center told driver he not allowed.....he has to take the shortest distance getting into the pkg car......he said it's in the 340 methods.......driver wanted to get in to pkg car from passenger side on the sidewalk sup told him he had to get in on drivers side in street

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sup in my center told driver he not allowed.....he has to take the shortest distance getting into the pkg car......he said it's in the 340 methods.......driver wanted to get in to pkg car from passenger side on the sidewalk sup told him he had to get in on drivers side in street

The methods were recently changed to allow the driver to enter/exit through the driver's side door while making a delivery; however, the preferred method is to enter/exit through the passenger side door.

If they want to play those stupid games, just give it right back to them. Make sure you take your good old time getting in on the driver's side.