DOT physical

Zowert

You better hope you dont survive the accident/heart attack. Can you say FRUAD?
That’s exactly why I just go get it done. Even if you don’t survive they might withhold whatever insurance payout goes to your wife or family because you committed fraud.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ahh I see. I was just thinking about this because I took an option day today to go get my physical done. I got to thinking what’s to stop someone from just printing their own card out at home and showing it to their boss? There’s no database for this like your license, it’s essentially a doctors note. I suppose it could come back to bite you if something happens while driving, like a heart attack and they check up on the doctor that signed off on the DOT card, then find out that doctor never saw you.
Why would you waste an option day doing something required by the company? Do it on company time. I took every DOT physical for 30 years on their dime.

Whither

Scofflaw
Why would you waste an option day doing something required by the company? Do it on company time. I took every DOT physical for 30 years on their dime.
My weak local has allowed the company to require us to show up off the clock (of course none of their providers opens before 8am) with the caveat that any time you spend past your start time is paid. I'm in your camp: if it's required by the company the meter should be running the whole time.

No way anyone should burn an option day to get a DOT physical! How did this happen @Zowert?

Zowert

My weak local has allowed the company to require us to show up off the clock (of course none of their providers opens before 8am) with the caveat that any time you spend past your start time is paid. I'm in your camp: if it's required by the company the meter should be running the whole time.

No way anyone should burn an option day to get a DOT physical! How did this happen @Zowert?
I had to see my doctor anyway so I got two things done at once.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Ahh I see. I was just thinking about this because I took an option day today to go get my physical done. I got to thinking what’s to stop someone from just printing their own card out at home and showing it to their boss? There’s no database for this like your license, it’s essentially a doctors note. I suppose it could come back to bite you if something happens while driving, like a heart attack and they check up on the doctor that signed off on the DOT card, then find out that doctor never saw you.
The Dr. Sends ups a copy of forms you fill out
for the physical

quad decade guy

There's no database? Really?

A.... D O T physical?

"They" can cross-reference what you put on your physical application vs. what you are prescribed and a million other things.

Here, State Dept of Trans. requires a copy of your physical card sent in. If you don't your comm. lic is DOWNGRADED.

You can't drive.

Mine got lost during covid and it cost me $200 to get it re-instated.

Your DOT card is at least as important as your CDL lic.

MOF, if you can't produce a DOT card when stopped....you will be taken out of service on the spot. Absolutely. Equipment and load could be impounded.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I had hypertension and needed a DOT physical every 6 months.
In 2010, the doctors made me do several attempts at lower my BP during one visit.
They were all unsuccessful and the doctor informed me that I was not going to be able to drive commercially again.
I tried to remain calm and look sad when told.
It was the best day of my life.
Now my manager couldn't keep putting on the road away from my inside/inside ( higher paying ) job.

Zowert

I had hypertension and needed a DOT physical every 6 months.
In 2010, the doctors made me do several attempts at lower my BP during one visit.
They were all unsuccessful and the doctor informed me that I was not going to be able to drive commercially again.
I tried to remain calm and look sad when told.
It was the best day of my life.
Now my manager couldn't keep putting on the road away from my inside/inside ( higher paying ) job.
So when you go for the DOT physical and your BP is over 140/90, what do they do? Just give you a 6 month card? I have white coat syndrome. After watching my father pass slowly in a hospital over months I have a hard time going to see a doctor for some reason. My BP will be elevated even though I don’t have hypertension. Luckily my doctor is understanding and gives me time to calm down and try more than one test on my blood pressure.

I have a buddy that drives truck for a different company. He’s got hypertension but he cheats by kicking back a couple beers before his physical then has his wife drive him to the appointment. I tell him he’s nuts but he insists it works every time lol! I think he goes to some sketchy cash only clinic to get it done tho..

Last edited: