DOT physical

Johney

We had a driver taken off the road for HP. He was out for a few weeks until he got under control. Medication was needed.
How dare he do such a thing! You know all the side effects and things. What if the drugs were disqualifying? You know his Dr. would know things like that. He should've been able to get it under control himself.

Trucker Clock

Not sure where you get that info from.

FMCSA

If you have high BP and take medication you can only get a one year card

Correct. I did not say otherwise.

and your BP needs to be 139/89 max

Not for a first time high BP diagnosis. You can get a 1 year card and then need to reduce your BP to less than 140/90 to continue to get a valid card after the first year.

Even if you don't take meds or have high BP it still has to be 139/89 to get a new card for the two years

Correct. But you can get a 1 year card for a first time high BP diagnosis as long as it is below 160/100.

At least here.

Everywhere.

quad decade guy

Now you're a Dr. too?
Nope.

Never said I was. You are bullying though.

So, I've had high BP for 20 years....controlled.
Why?

They should be able to get it under control...there are exceptions of course.

But you may not like the side effects....and the drugs could be disqualifying....
That's why I said words like "should".

My meds have a definite side effect.

Some meds are disqualifying.

Got all that?

So, where did I claim to be a Dr.?

quad decade guy

Not sure where you get that info from. If you have high BP and take medication you can only get a one year card and your BP needs to be 139/89 max. Even if you don't take meds or have high BP it still has to be 139/89 to get a new card for the two years. At least here.
Not true here.

Here, if you take meds.....1 year card.....whatever your readings. 120/70(perfect)....on meds 1 year.

quad decade guy

We had a driver taken off the road for HP. He was out for a few weeks until he got under control. Medication was needed.
Very common....

I do wonder how our 400 pounders get their physical.....yes, we have some.

350lb pkg drivers too.

They have a shuttle now for the obese dispatch crew. Some big uns there too. They can't make the walk to dispatch.....feeders is the farthest distance from the guard shack. Actually diametrically opposed.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Very common....

350lb pkg drivers too.

They have a shuttle now for the obese dispatch crew. Some big uns there too. They can't make the walk to dispatch.....feeders is the farthest distance from the guard shack. Actually diametrically opposed.
The driver was actually in his fourties’ and not overweight. Never know I guess.

Zowert

There is a driver in my center that wears hearing aids, he’s got acute hearing loss from combat he was in during the Iraq War. He has to get his DOT physical every 6 months. I feel bad for the dude. High blood pressure is one thing but if your hearing is screwed it’s going to be hard for you to drive commercially for a living.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Very common....

350lb pkg drivers too.

Definitely Bullying

quad decade guy

How dare he do such a thing! You know all the side effects and things. What if the drugs were disqualifying? You know his Dr. would know things like that. He should've been able to get it under control himself.
Not true.

My GP Doc doesn't know FAA or DOT rules necessarily.......when I get a new drug script......I do the research personally before I accept it. So, I don't break any rules. It is your responsibility to know not the docs.

quad decade guy

There is a driver in my center that wears hearing aids, he’s got acute hearing loss from combat he was in during the Iraq War. He has to get his DOT physical every 6 months. I feel bad for the dude. High blood pressure is one thing but if your hearing is screwed it’s going to be hard for you to drive commercially for a living.
Curious why he chose commercial driving......

Johney

Not true here.

Here, if you take meds.....1 year card.....whatever your readings. 120/70(perfect)....on meds 1 year.
Lol, you have no idea when you're being mocked. Chuckle.