DOT physical

Zowert

I heard FedEx drivers don’t have to take a DOT physical, neither do Amazon package car drivers. So is this just a company policy? I know a driver that went a full year with an expired DOT card before supervisors realized it and they didn’t even make a big deal out of it. Just wondering what the point of it is. I was thinking it has something to do with insurance rather than an actual law. Driving anything under 26,000lbs requires nothing more than a regular driver’s license.

542thruNthru

I heard FedEx drivers don’t have to take a DOT physical, neither do Amazon package car drivers. So is this just a company policy? I know a driver that went a full year with an expired DOT card before supervisors realized it and they didn’t even make a big deal out of it. Just wondering what the point of it is. I was thinking it has something to do with insurance rather than an actual law. Driving anything under 26,000lbs requires nothing more than a regular driver’s license.
There are a lot of exceptions and rules when it comes to DOT.

90% of express and Amazon are sprinter vans so they don't need a DOT.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Wow.
Just wow.
DeterminedKindlyHare-max-1mb.gif

Zowert

Ahh I see. I was just thinking about this because I took an option day today to go get my physical done. I got to thinking what’s to stop someone from just printing their own card out at home and showing it to their boss? There’s no database for this like your license, it’s essentially a doctors note. I suppose it could come back to bite you if something happens while driving, like a heart attack and they check up on the doctor that signed off on the DOT card, then find out that doctor never saw you.

Last edited:

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Ahh I see. I was just thinking about this because I took an option day today to go get my physical done. I got to thinking what’s to stop someone from just printing their own card out at home and showing it to their boss? There’s no database for this like your license, it’s essentially a doctors note.
There is a database for CDL holder's DOT cards.

But...

There are people who make their own...

Nolimitz

Ahh I see. I was just thinking about this because I took an option day today to go get my physical done. I got to thinking what’s to stop someone from just printing their own card out at home and showing it to their boss? There’s no database for this like your license, it’s essentially a doctors note. I suppose it could come back to bite you if something happens while driving, like a heart attack and they check up on the doctor that signed off on the DOT card, then find out that doctor never saw you.
You better hope you dont survive the accident/heart attack. Can you say FRUAD?

Zowert

There is a database for CDL holder's DOT cards.

But...

There are people who make their own...
I know that but what about non-CDL holders. The whole thing seems like a joke to me. I go to my primary care physician and I’m in and out in 15 minutes. Pee in a cup, check blood pressure, eyes, whisper in my ear, okay see ya in two years. Then gives me a piece of paper with words so tiny you can’t even read it. Seriously, I hand it to my sup, he looks at it, “is this good for 2 years or 1?” I say two years. “Okay cool.”

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
At Express, you are paid for your DOT physical time. Also, you’re given forms to take to the doctor that must be filled out and you return one to your manager.