DOT to Non DOT

MAKAVELI

What part of me being in the system as NONDOT do you not understand Tupac? I would figure a fella as intelligent as you THINK you are to know something as simple as that.
I would expect someone who drives a tractor trailer to realize that would be a mistake. But maybe I'm giving you too much credit.

Oldfart

Are you a CTV driver?
Been in classification since 85 or so. Before A G T & T was even started. They did away with my dept and put me back in station operations. HR said I get to keep my extra pay, which was only about .50 cents before they moved it up with swings and dispatchers. Once they took me to NONDOT, I would figure the RTD money would disappear but it is there to this day. Not sure if they put me as swing or what in the system and I don't care. I just know I make what swings, RTD and dispatchers make.

Oldfart

I would expect someone who drives a tractor trailer to realize that would be a mistake. But maybe I'm giving you too much credit.
Oh Tupac, you are so cruel. I don't make the rules and I don't analyze what they do, I just cash the checks. Not for me to worry about what management does as long as money doesn't come out of my check.

MAKAVELI

Been in classification since 85 or so. Before A G T & T was even started. They did away with my dept and put me back in station operations. HR said I get to keep my extra pay, which was only about .50 cents before they moved it up with swings and dispatchers. Once they took me to NONDOT, I would figure the RTD money would disappear but it is there to this day. Not sure if they put me as swing or what in the system and I don't care. I just know I make what swings, RTD and dispatchers make.
So you don't drive a CTV for FedEx currently?

Oldfart

So you don't drive a CTV for FedEx currently?
I will make an occasional pull or stage a trailer but not everyday or even once a week. Been maybe a month since I last drove 1. I just keep my CDL current and take my physical every 2 years and I don't worry about the paperwork the managers do. I am legal according to the state and DOT, that is my only concern.

MAKAVELI

I will make an occasional pull or stage a trailer but not everyday or even once a week. Been maybe a month since I last drove 1.
Well you can't legally drive a CTV without being DOT. So obviously its a mistake that you are classified in the system as non DOT. They don't classify CTV drivers as non DOT.

Oldfart

Well you can't legally drive a CTV without being DOT. So obviously its a mistake that you are classified in the system as non DOT. They don't classify CTV drivers as non DOT.
Legally I can drive anything we have, even doubles. I can pull a tanker, I can move passengers. Dude, you just don't know what you are talking about. Do we have to school you again like we did about how OT works on Mothers Day? If my managers are breaking Fedex Policy, that is between them and their boss. DOT doesn't care about Fedex policy, they just care that I have a legal CDL and a current medical card. I can go to Hertz and rent anything they have and be legal. Fedex policy does not supersede DOT rules when it comes to what is legal and what isn't.

MAKAVELI

Legally I can drive anything we have, even doubles. I can pull a tanker, I can move passengers. Dude, you just don't know what you are talking about. Do we have to school you again like we did about how OT works on Mothers Day? If my managers are breaking Fedex Policy, that is between them and their boss. DOT doesn't care about Fedex policy, they just care that I have a legal CDL and a current medical card. I can go to Hertz and rent anything they have and be legal. Fedex policy does not supersede DOT rules when it comes to what is legal and what isn't.
DOT stands for Department of Transportation. Do I need to school you to their regulations over carriers such as FedEx? Why do you think they have Non DOT and DOT classifications?

Oldfart

DOT stands for Department of Transportation. Do I need to school you to their regulations over carriers such as FedEx? Why do you think they have Non DOT and DOT classifications?
According to DOT rules, I am a legal eagle. I have a CDL with an entire alphabet in endorsements. I have a medical card that is up to date. Remember, DOT rules are the law of the land. Fedex rules just cover Fedex employees as far as the employee following COMPANY RULES, not DOT rules. If DOT says I am legal, Fedex policy can't overrule them. Fedex says I can't leave my truck unlocked when I am not in the vehicle. DOT rules don't say that. If I leave my truck unlocked, I am breaking FEDEX rules, not DOT rules. If my manager is breaking Fedex policy by having me out of compliance with Fedex rules but I am in compliance with DOT rules, that is all that matters to me.

I am thru with you Tupac. It took 3 people a dozen or so post trying to explain how OT works and I am not sure you ever understood. I have gone thru several DOT checkpoints over the years with ZERO citations. They have no idea how Fedex has me classified, they just care what is in my wallet.

You just don't get it Tupac.

MAKAVELI

According to DOT rules, I am a legal eagle. I have a CDL with an entire alphabet in endorsements. I have a medical card that is up to date. Remember, DOT rules are the law of the land. Fedex rules just cover Fedex employees as far as the employee following COMPANY RULES, not DOT rules. If DOT says I am legal, Fedex policy can't overrule them. Fedex says I can't leave my truck unlocked when I am not in the vehicle. DOT rules don't say that. If I leave my truck unlocked, I am breaking FEDEX rules, not DOT rules. If my manager is breaking Fedex policy by having me out of compliance with Fedex rules but I am in compliance with DOT rules, that is all that matters to me.

I am thru with you Tupac. It took 3 people a dozen or so post trying to explain how OT works and I am not sure you ever understood. I have gone thru several DOT checkpoints over the years with ZERO citations. They have no idea how Fedex has me classified, they just care what is in my wallet.

You just don't get it Tupac.
Like I said you are DOT. Thx for playing.

MAKAVELI

Here you go old farce. Straight from FEDEX.
Job Information: Courier (Non-DOT) Job
Duties:

Provides efficient and safe delivery and pick-up of packages and documents, while representing the company in a professional manner.

Operates non-articulated vehicles weighing 10,000 lbs or less, safely and efficiently, complying with all governmental and corporate procedures; this position is not responsible for transporting placarded hazardous goods.

vantexan

Here you go old farce. Straight from FEDEX.
Job Information: Courier (Non-DOT) Job
Duties:

Provides efficient and safe delivery and pick-up of packages and documents, while representing the company in a professional manner.

Operates non-articulated vehicles weighing 10,000 lbs or less, safely and efficiently, complying with all governmental and corporate procedures; this position is not responsible for transporting placarded hazardous goods.
I think FedEx applies the designation to the rt. You're a non-dot courier if you run a non-dot rt. If you run a dot rt you still aren't required to have a cdl unless you drive a vehicle over, what is it, 26,000 lbs. There is a classification in JCATS for dot/cdl that usually has few postings. I think those rts are more about the haz they handle. Of course swings need cdl's.

MAKAVELI

I think FedEx applies the designation to the rt. You're a non-dot courier if you run a non-dot rt. If you run a dot rt you still aren't required to have a cdl unless you drive a vehicle over, what is it, 26,000 lbs. There is a classification in JCATS for dot/cdl that usually has few postings. I think those rts are more about the haz they handle. Of course swings need cdl's.
I'm not talking about a cdl. The difference between a non cdl dot and non dot is the 10,000 lb GVWR.

Oldfart

I believe you are correct. Haz and 26,000 lbs are the threshold for needing a CDL. Those are DOT rules. If a person chooses to have a Class A with all the endorsements and a current medical card, he is NOT in violation of DOT rules if a Fedex manager decides to place him in a NONDOT status. When DOT pulls me over and checks my credentials, he has no idea what Fedex has me in their system. He is just gonna confirm that the documentation I have is in compliance with what vehicle I am driving. DOT could care less that you are not following Fedex policy as long as you are following DOT rules. Tupac just doesn't understand how it works and just can't seem to comprehend. My manager took me to NONDOT a few years ago and I still make swing/RTD/dispatch pay. Why, how and for what reason I don't know and don't care.

Basically I am over documented with my Class A for my job description. That is not a DOT violation. That is like saying I can't drive my personal car because I have a Class A.

Last edited: