DOT to Non DOT

overflowed

It's not for the 14 hours. It's for 7 days per week to cover holidays and energencies.
And yes, putting older couriers out to pasture would make sense for a company that doesn't care about its drivers. Which is why getting rid of physicals doesn't make sense according to the opinion o
I believe you are enrolled in the 401k the day you start and have to opt out.

$25 an hour for an instructor? Not hardly. Couriers make more than that, plus I believe there is a max of 3 students in def. driving and 5 in courier class. Our last new hire flew to Denver twice for both classes. He showed me his pictures from Red Rock. Those trips with his salary, meals and hotel, car and airfare were 3 or 4k. You are still not considering the associated costs that start from the time a person fills out an application. A background check is $100 or so dollars, a Dot Physical is maybe more. CDL fingerprinting is about $85. Couple hundred in new uniforms.

Doesn't matter the exact cost. I believe a station would rather have a roster full of veterans rather than a bunch of new hires. Even if a new hire is $10 hr cheaper than a veteran with pension and salary, you just don't know how he will pan out or stick around. A 30 yr veteran has already shown you.
I agree and many others would too that the station would . I know this is the case. Had a very good friend become an ops manager. However, I think what many of us would agree upon is that is not the reality from corporate. Managers do not really manage anything anymore. They are just taking exact orders from above.

Oldfart

I guess you haven't seen the training 700/900's ours sat about 10 probably...(lay out below)
Driver - Pass
pass pass - pass pass
pass pass - pass pass
I have only seen 2 training vans. One was an original 700 that was modified by maintenance. 2 small rear seats and a full size passenger seat. 3 students and 2 need to be mighty slim. The other van was built for training. Rear side windows, rear air, 1 small bench seat in the rear and full size passenger seat. Sits 3 total students but much more comfortably.

We did have a 4 door tractor training van. It held 4 students and was super nice. The local tractor instructor retired and the tractor went elsewhere.

I guess class size is determined by training van size. That is why our classes are capped at 3.

overflowed

I have only seen 2 training vans. One was an original 700 that was modified by maintenance. 2 small rear seats and a full size passenger seat. 3 students and 2 need to be mighty slim. The other van was built for training. Rear side windows, rear air, 1 small bench seat in the rear and full size passenger seat. Sits 3 total students but much more comfortably.

We did have a 4 door tractor training van. It held 4 students and was super nice. The local tractor instructor retired and the tractor went elsewhere.
The training van we drove had windows like a bus. This was for sure built as a training vehicle.

dezguy

Training trucks? No such thing up here. They just throw you in a classroom with other couriers from around the country and teach you stuff you already know because you had already been on the road for a year.

Probably why they did away with out of station training, here.

Artee

My manager took me to NONDOT a few years ago and I still make swing/RTD/dispatch pay. Why, how and for what reason I don't know and don't care.

You mentioned earlier that you will drive the CTV's on occasion. Thats the reason for higher pay. If you were getting courier pay and doing RTD work you could sue the company for underpaying you. Its easier to classify you as RTD for the occasional fill in work even though a majority of your duties are as a courier. No matter what FDX says you are DOT qualified. Just because FDX has you in their computer system as non-DOT, you actually have a DOT license otherwise you could not legally jump in the CTV and drive it to the end of the block.

Who cares what FDX has for your status in the system. They are not asking you to do anything you are not qualified for and are paying you the appropriate rate of pay.

Artee

I'll go out on a limb and say you've never actually looked at the hours of service regulations. You've always trusted Fedex to handle everything for you. Timecards are not a valid dot driver file. The motor carrier needs to keep a file on every driver that operates a CMV, local or otherwise. If you are in their system as a dispatcher and they aren't keeping a dot file on you it's against the law to hand you the keys to a tractor trailer and send you on the road. They can't just send a package handler on the road because he holds a CDL. They need to track driver fitness and maintain logs.

Local drivers don't need to keep logs in their cab, but their hour records must be maintained at their station. You might want to do some research before you hop in a cab and take a drive with a tractor. If you don't have proper hours of service logs you're in trouble if there's an accident.

If you stay within a 100 air mile radius you do not have to log. If you exceed that limit then you will have to be current with the current day and the previous 7 days for 8 days total.

Oldfart

You mentioned earlier that you will drive the CTV's on occasion. Thats the reason for higher pay. If you were getting courier pay and doing RTD work you could sue the company for underpaying you. Its easier to classify you as RTD for the occasional fill in work even though a majority of your duties are as a courier. No matter what FDX says you are DOT qualified. Just because FDX has you in their computer system as non-DOT, you actually have a DOT license otherwise you could not legally jump in the CTV and drive it to the end of the block.

Who cares what FDX has for your status in the system. They are not asking you to do anything you are not qualified for and are paying you the appropriate rate of pay.
I didn't have a problem with it. Tupac and It Will Be Fine both said I was breaking the law, then they said I wasn't breaking the law, then they said I was mistaken, then they said I was again breaking the law. They seemed pretty confused and misinformed. Tupac still can't figure out how our overtime rules work, yet he wants to lecture me on policy. I know I have a Class A with a few endorsements that pretty much allows me to drive anything but a Sherman Tank as far as DOT is concerned. If Fedex wants to pay me more than what I am classified to do and my SM and Manager did the paperwork and HR approved it, that problem is theirs to deal with.

It will be fine

I didn't have a problem with it. Tupac and It Will Be Fine both said I was breaking the law, then they said I wasn't breaking the law, then they said I was mistaken, then they said I was again breaking the law. They seemed pretty confused and misinformed. Tupac still can't figure out how our overtime rules work, yet he wants to lecture me on policy. I know I have a Class A with a few endorsements that pretty much allows me to drive anything but a Sherman Tank as far as DOT is concerned. If Fedex wants to pay me more than what I am classified to do and my SM and Manager did the paperwork and HR approved it, that problem is theirs to deal with.
A responsible driver would know how their motor carrier handles their documentation.

Oldfart

A responsible driver would know how their motor carrier handles their documentation.
You have changed your view several time while admitting you knew little about CDL's.

Documentation by my employer is not my responsibility. It is theirs. I am responsible for my CDL and my DOT medical and making sure I don't violate HOS. Fedex is responsible for all government documentation. Just like my earlier example. I have no direct knowledge that Fedex pays my Federal and State taxes and Social Security. They take it from my check and I assume they pay the correct taxes to the correct agencies.

It will be fine

You have changed your view several time while admitting you knew little about CDL's.

Documentation by my employer is not my responsibility. It is theirs. I am responsible for my CDL and my DOT medical and making sure I don't violate HOS. Fedex is responsible for all government documentation. Just like my earlier example. I have no direct knowledge that Fedex pays my Federal and State taxes and Social Security. They take it from my check and I assume they pay the correct taxes to the correct agencies.
No I haven't. You just couldn't answer any questions on how you're classified and how Fedex handles your file, because you trust them to do everything correctly. I don't have that faith in Fedex. I check to make sure everything is correct for me and my drivers.

You say you follow HOS, you've also said you'll work 7 days straight for holidays or deliver flowers on the side for holidays. That would violate HOS without a proper reset.
I know plenty about DOT regulations, my comment about CDLs was implying they likely have stricter standards than other commercial licenses.

A responsible driver would make sure everything is in order, you apparently can't be bothered to do that.

Oldfart

No I haven't. You just couldn't answer any questions on how you're classified and how Fedex handles your file, because you trust them to do everything correctly. I don't have that faith in Fedex. I check to make sure everything is correct for me and my drivers.

You say you follow HOS, you've also said you'll work 7 days straight for holidays or deliver flowers on the side for holidays. That would violate HOS without a proper reset.
I know plenty about DOT regulations, my comment about CDLs was implying they likely have stricter standards than other commercial licenses.

A responsible driver would make sure everything is in order, you apparently can't be bothered to do that.
You just keep working and and being miserable and distrustful and I will leave the worrying up to someone that gets paid to worry.

It will be fine

You just keep working and and being miserable and distrustful and I will leave the worrying up to someone that gets paid to worry.
Don't worry, I work much less than you do and make more. I've just been around long enough to know Fedex is not always on the up and up, so I make sure my people are covered.

Oldfart

Don't worry, I work much less than you do and make more. I've just been around long enough to know Fedex is not always on the up and up, so I make sure my people are covered.
Good deal. Sounds like you get paid to worry. I don't, therefor I don't worry.

Worrying is like rocking in a chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Schweddy

Balls
That's debatable

IMG_7732.JPG

Do you get paid to repeat yourself?