DOT to Non DOT

MAKAVELI

I believe you are correct. Haz and 26,000 lbs are the threshold for needing a CDL. Those are DOT rules. If a person chooses to have a Class A with all the endorsements and a current medical card, he is NOT in violation of DOT rules if a Fedex manager decides to place him in a NONDOT status. When DOT pulls me over and checks my credentials, he has no idea what Fedex has me in their system. He is just gonna confirm that the documentation I have is in compliance with what vehicle I am driving. DOT could care less that you are not following Fedex policy as long as you are following DOT rules. Tupac just doesn't understand how it works and just can't seem to comprehend. My manager took me to NONDOT a few years ago and I still make swing/RTD/dispatch pay. Why, how and for what reason I don't know and don't care.
Just in case you missed the first post, old :censored2:.
Job Information: Courier (Non-DOT) Job
Duties:

Provides efficient and safe delivery and pick-up of packages and documents, while representing the company in a professional manner.

Operates non-articulated vehicles weighing 10,000 lbs or less, safely and efficiently, complying with all governmental and corporate procedures; this position is not responsible for transporting placarded hazardous goods.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
What are the other things safety certified employees must follow. Hours of service and random drug testing?

fedx

Extra Large Package
Well you can't legally drive a CTV without being DOT. So obviously its a mistake that you are classified in the system as non DOT. They don't classify CTV drivers as non DOT.
I think you and Old Fart are on the same page, but aren't aware or don't care. You are both saying you can't drive a FedEx semi without being DOT unless there's an error in the classification. Old Fart doesn't dispute there's an error, but he just doesn't care. You guys both agree you should have a DOT classification to drive a semi for FedEx. However, I always thought Old Fart was an RTD from the stuff he wrote. I guess that's not the case.

Oldfart

I think you and Old Fart are on the same page, but aren't aware or don't care. You are both saying you can't drive a FedEx semi without being DOT unless there's an error in the classification. Old Fart doesn't dispute there's an error, but he just doesn't care. You guys both agree you should have a DOT classification to drive a semi for FedEx. However, I always thought Old Fart was an RTD from the stuff he wrote. I guess that's not the case.
I get the pay, that's all that matters. I drive occasionally , but not enough to consider it my job. Went to class in '85 I think and right into classification. Drove one everyday for 15 or 20 years. Apparently my manager took me out of classification when he took me NONDOT. I never asked if he cooked the books to keep me at RTD/swing pay. I guess I need to look at my comat/email screen and see what he has done. I might even be a dispatcher for all I know. Either way, despite what Tupac THINKS, I am not breaking any DOT rules by driving a Reach/700/900 with a Class A CDL. I might be breaking Fedex policy because I am NONDOT, but that is my managers problem if he gets audited. DOT would never ask how Fedex has me listed in their system if they were to pull me over. All they will do is check my documentation and make sure it is sufficient for the vehicle I am driving. That is what Tupac just can't comprehend. DOT worries about their requirements, not company policy. Last time I got checked by DOT, I don't recall him pulling out a Fedex Policy Manual to see if I am in compliance. If I were UNDER documented, DOT would have a problem. I am OVER documented for my job description. Tupac can cut and paste job descriptions all he wants. Those are job descriptions, and DOT only worries about their regulations.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

I get the pay, that's all that matters. I drive occasionally , but not enough to consider it my job. Went to class in '85 I think and right into classification. Drove one everyday for 15 or 20 years. Apparently my manager took me out of classification when he took me NONDOT. I never asked if he cooked the books to keep me at RTD/swing pay. I guess I need to look at my comat/email screen and see what he has done. I might even be a dispatcher for all I know. Either way, despite what Tupac THINKS, I am not breaking any DOT rules by driving a Reach/700/900 with a Class A CDL. I might be breaking Fedex policy because I am NONDOT, but that is my managers problem if he gets audited. DOT would never ask how Fedex has me listed in their system if they were to pull me over. All they will do is check my documentation and make sure it is sufficient for the vehicle I am driving. That is what Tupac just can't comprehend. DOT worries about their requirements, not company policy. Last time I got checked by DOT, I don't recall him pulling out a Fedex Policy Manual to see if I am in compliance. If I were UNDER documented, DOT would have a problem. I am OVER documented for my job description. Tupac can cut and paste job descriptions all he wants. Those are job descriptions, and DOT only worries about their regulations.
Maybe you should go back to school and learn how to read. I never said you weren't DOT compliant. I only said if you drive a semi for FedEx then they have you listed as a non DOT driver incorrectly. Is that simple enough for you to understand?

It will be fine

Does express keep electronic logs for non dot drivers?

Oldfart

Well you can't legally drive a CTV without being DOT. So obviously its a mistake that you are classified in the system as non DOT. They don't classify CTV drivers as non DOT.

I said I was thru with you Tupac, but proving you are a total idiot was just too good to pass up. You said above that I can't "LEGALLY" drive a CTV because I am non DOT. NOW read the post below.
There you said I CAN drive a CTV.

It is pretty obvious you just don't know what you are talking about. Maybe you can explain how OT works on Mother's Day week. That's right, you don't know how to do that either.

Maybe you should go back to school and learn how to read. I never said you weren't DOT compliant. I only said if you drive a semi for FedEx then they have you listed as a non DOT driver incorrectly. Is that simple enough for you to understand?

Oldfart

So unless oldfart is keeping his own manual logs, he's breaking the law?
LOL Try again

Staging a trailer at the station or pulling a trailer a few miles to a customer location does not require a log. If I remember correctly, you have to travel 150 miles from the station before a log is required. I don't travel 150 miles in 6 months.

It will be fine

LOL Try again

Staging a trailer at the station or pulling a trailer a few miles to a customer location does not require a log. If I remember correctly, you have to travel 150 miles from the station before a log is required. I don't travel 150 miles in 6 months.
Nope, anyone that operates a CMV needs hours of service logs for the preceding 6 days. If Fedex isn't maintaining those files for non-dot couriers, you're breaking the law.

Oldfart

Nope, anyone that operates a CMV needs hours of service logs for the preceding 6 days. If Fedex isn't maintaining those files for non-dot couriers, you're breaking the law.
LOL Try again

The electronic timecard is used to record all of our hours and is readily available for any audit by any agency. I still use a manual timecard and file them away just in case there is a payroll problem so that is a record as well. City drivers where I am have never kept a log because we don't work over 12hrs and don't travel the 150 miles or whatever it is from the station.

I know you are trying, but you just aren't sure what you are talking about.

MAKAVELI

I said I was thru with you Tupac, but proving you are a total idiot was just too good to pass up. You said above that I can't "LEGALLY" drive a CTV because I am non DOT. NOW read the post below.
There you said I CAN drive a CTV.

It is pretty obvious you just don't know what you are talking about. Maybe you can explain how OT works on Mother's Day week. That's right, you don't know how to do that either.
Nope try again I never said you weren't DOT Compliant. You are DOT whether FedEx classifies you as one or not. Hence the medical card and CDL.

It will be fine

LOL Try again

The electronic timecard is used to record all of our hours and is readily available for any audit by any agency. I still use a manual timecard and file them away just in case there is a payroll problem so that is a record as well. City drivers where I am have never kept a log because we don't work over 12hrs and don't travel the 150 miles or whatever it is from the station.

I know you are trying, but you just aren't sure what you are talking about.
I'll go out on a limb and say you've never actually looked at the hours of service regulations. You've always trusted Fedex to handle everything for you. Timecards are not a valid dot driver file. The motor carrier needs to keep a file on every driver that operates a CMV, local or otherwise. If you are in their system as a dispatcher and they aren't keeping a dot file on you it's against the law to hand you the keys to a tractor trailer and send you on the road. They can't just send a package handler on the road because he holds a CDL. They need to track driver fitness and maintain logs.

Local drivers don't need to keep logs in their cab, but their hour records must be maintained at their station. You might want to do some research before you hop in a cab and take a drive with a tractor. If you don't have proper hours of service logs you're in trouble if there's an accident.

Oldfart

Nope try again I never said you weren't DOT Compliant. You are DOT whether FedEx classifies you as one or not. Hence the medical card and CDL.
Tupac my brother. The word "LEGALLY" is proof you are just backtracking because you got proven wrong. You said I can't "LEGALLY" drive a CTV. Just get someone in the house that can actually read to show you what YOU wrote.

Earth to Tupac, Earth to Tupac, come in Tupac. Telling lies and getting caught must suck.

Oldfart

I'll go out on a limb and say you've never actually looked at the hours of service regulations. You've always trusted Fedex to handle everything for you. Timecards are not a valid dot driver file. The motor carrier needs to keep a file on every driver that operates a CMV, local or otherwise. If you are in their system as a dispatcher and they aren't keeping a dot file on you it's against the law to hand you the keys to a tractor trailer and send you on the road. They can't just send a package handler on the road because he holds a CDL. They need to track driver fitness and maintain logs.

Local drivers don't need to keep logs in their cab, but their hour records must be maintained at their station. You might want to do some research before you hop in a cab and take a drive with a tractor. If you don't have proper hours of service logs you're in trouble if there's an accident.
You are correct, I do trust Fedex to handle the paperwork involved with my DOT needs. Just like I trust them to handle my IRS requirements, my Social Security requirements and every other government regulation. I never said I was listed as a dispatcher, I was making a joke. I have a hard time believing Fedex would not keep the proper documentation on hand to cover their responsibilities as far as DOT is concerned.

MAKAVELI

Tupac my brother. The word "LEGALLY" is proof you are just backtracking because you got proven wrong. You said I can't "LEGALLY" drive a CTV. Just get someone in the house that can actually read to show you what YOU wrote.

Earth to Tupac, Earth to Tupac, come in Tupac. Telling lies and getting caught must suck.
Try again old :censored2:.

Oldfart

That's pretty aggressive for someone that doesn't even know if he has a proper dot driver file at his motor carrier.
When was the last time you put eyes on your file?

All I know is I have passed several DOT checkpoints, 1 since I was made NONDOT. DOT says I am LEGAL. I might be in violation of Fedex policy, but that falls on my manager and senior manager. They did it and know about it, that is their problem.

It will be fine

When was the last time you put eyes on your file?

All I know is I have passed several DOT checkpoints, 1 since I was made NONDOT. DOT says I am LEGAL. I might be in violation of Fedex policy, but that falls on my manager and senior manager. They did it and know about it, that is their problem.
I looked at mine a couple weeks ago, but I'm responsible.
If you're local only the DOT probably won't ask for hour logs at a random stop. If you have an accident it will be part of the investigation. If they aren't keeping proper logs because you're classified as non-dot it will fall on you.