DOT to Non DOT

SmithBarney

If Fedex is maintaining all the same info, why do they even have a non-dot classification? Isn't the point to be able disregard HOS and send guys out 7 days in a row?

The non dot classification we were told was to save $$ on physicals.. We were told of the change, and were told we would need to sign a document regarding the "position change" I never signed anything, and don't really care... The people who should care are those long time (previous DOT drivers) with health conditions who now are NON DOT, if FedEx ever needs to move them back to DOT they could possibly fail the Physicals.

It will be fine

The non dot classification we were told was to save $$ on physicals.. We were told of the change, and were told we would need to sign a document regarding the "position change" I never signed anything, and don't really care... The people who should care are those long time (previous DOT drivers) with health conditions who now are NON DOT, if FedEx ever needs to move them back to DOT they could possibly fail the Physicals.
It's sounds like a reckless way to save money to me. I don't think the DOT physical is too stringent for commercial drivers, it's pretty easy to pass. If you fail it you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of a CMV.

Oldfart

IF you drive something that requires a CDL, then yes FedEx will pay for it. if you are required to have a DOT card to drive such vehicle then you should be classified as a DOT Driver. If not, then let your DOT expire, say I'm non DOT, and see what happens... What do you drive as a RTD?
I want my CDL and DOT to stay current. I am gonna retire in the not too distant future and while I don't plan on working when I retire, I want to keep my options open. I have had discussions with a marketing company about driving a trailer pulling Nascar show cars around the country part time. If I do that, I will need my CDL and medical card.

Oldfart

It's sounds like a reckless way to save money to me. I don't think the DOT physical is too stringent for commercial drivers, it's pretty easy to pass. If you fail it you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of a CMV.
Depends of the doctor giving the physical. Like I said, a 17 inch neck will fail you, borderline blood pressure will fail you. Many people get "White coat syndrome" and will get a slight increase in blood pressure and that will fail you.

Don't get me started about the hoops you have to jump thru before you renew your CDL. Fingerprinting locations that are only open 3 days a week and close early and take 2 hr lunches. Then they take their time getting your finger print results back and you wind up with only a few days to spare before your CDL expires.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Some medical examiners were disqualifying drivers or only approving for 90 days. FedEx had to pay for all visits after 30 days the costs add up.

It also meant that some couriers would fail and lose their job. The people response is that FedEx did it to take care of those people. The cynical response is that FedEx wanted to save money (fewer physicals, hiring and training costs, and fewer people needed for peak).

Non-DOT drivers are not subject to HOS rules. Despite what anyone may say they can work over 14 a day and over 70 in 8 days. They do not require a 34 hour reset.

R u sure about your last paragraph?

Or maybe it's because you're on an island with limited drivers as it is. U knows they like their pulled pork and SPAM
images.jpg

Lookit dat neck, yo!

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
How many of you went off and measured you neck? I know I did. :biggrin:
Yeah me too! I think I have nothing to be concerned about. My neck is much shorter than 17 inches - probably no more than 2, 3 inches at most from jawline to sternum. Plenty of leeway there. No worries. Some of these jokers must have giraffes in their genetic lineage - jeeez! :mellow:

Maui

I could see it being both. I can't say for certain but I've heard grumblings from wheel holders that the DOT exam has become more picky in the past 10-15 years. Leads to more DQs or limited cards. Which means, more $$$ in retests. Whether the DQs/retests were actually legit or not is for the MEs to know. I wouldn't put it past some corporate/small time MEs to keep the revenue flowing.

Well, part of the cynical response is untrue. Express policy dictates no more than 14 in a day, 11 driving, mirroring DOT. Yes, Yes, Policy can be changed at a whim... but the facts are still there.... it's been policy for... how long? So, that kills off the 'fewer people needed for peak' because everyone is still limited to policy time.

I am out west and one would almost have to try to work over 14. I would be curious to see the result because I know that Non-DOT couriers have worked over 70 with zero consequence.

Maui

R u sure about your last paragraph?

Or maybe it's because you're on an island with limited drivers as it is. U knows they like their pulled pork and SPAMView attachment 148206

Lookit dat neck, yo!
100%
HOS rules are for CDL holders and those operating CMV with a weight rating of 10,001 or greater for property-carrying drivers. It doesn't matter if one is classified as DOT, but whether an employee is operating a vehicle subject to HOS.

Non-DOT drivers operating vehicles rated 10,000 or less are not subject to the HOS regulations. However, FedEx or any other company can set policy that is more restrictive than the law requires.

STFXG

Crazy that such an evil company would get rid of physicals when they could just let go of employees unfit to do the job. Older or unhealthy employees that cost the company more in health care costs. I doubt cutting physicals was to save money.

MAKAVELI

Crazy that such an evil company would get rid of physicals when they could just let go of employees unfit to do the job. Older or unhealthy employees that cost the company more in health care costs. I doubt cutting physicals was to save money.
They don't t know that these drivers won't pass until they actually take a physical. Secondly, it also costs $ to hire and train a new employee along with lower productivity for those new hires.

SmithBarney

They don't t know that these drivers won't pass until they actually take a physical. Secondly, it also costs $ to hire and train a new employee along with lower productivity for those new hires.
Cost benefit analysis...
first we already know fedex loves to spend money in some odd ways.
But two young new hires off the street cost substantially less than a topped out 50 yr old driver, when you take into account 401k match, insurance cost, pension cost, higher risk of injury at work.

Even if those two new CRR only perform at 75% of the seasoned CRR just their combined Salary would be just couple $ more than that of the seasoned CRR, but their production would be higher.(not including all the costs mentioned above.)

And I wouldn't put it past FedEx to do something like reinstate DOT to "eliminate" drivers.

MAKAVELI

Cost benefit analysis...
But two young new hires off the street cost substantially less than a topped out 50 yr old driver, when you take into account 401k match, insurance cost, pension cost, higher risk of injury at work.

Even if those two new CRR only perform at 75% of the seasoned CRR just their combined Salary would be just couple $ more than that of the seasoned CRR, but their production would be higher.(not including all the costs mentioned above.)

And I wouldn't put it past FedEx to do something like reinstate DOT to "eliminate" drivers.
Raising top pay every year would be counterintuitive to your point. If it was truly cheaper to hire 2 new hires to one vet, they would be doing it.

Oldfart

Cost benefit analysis...

How can 2 new couriers perform 75% of a seasoned courier, yet be more productive?

Why is insurance , 401k and pension cost substantially cheaper. Might be a few dollars but by the time you hire, school and train a new hire, I would imagine you have 8 to 10 thousand dollars involved. Maybe more if Defensive Driving and Courier class is out of town.

SmithBarney

How can 2 new couriers perform 75% of a seasoned courier, yet be more productive?

Why is insurance , 401k and pension cost substantially cheaper. Might be a few dollars but by the time you hire, school and train a new hire, I would imagine you have 8 to 10 thousand dollars involved. Maybe more if Defensive Driving and Courier class is out of town.

I was saying 75% each.(so 150%)
-a new hires contribution(if they make one) to 401k is typically smaller, FedEx's match is smaller
-most young new hires opt for the cheaper insurance, usually young and healthy and thus a smaller drain on the "group plan"
-most new hires don't reach fully vested pension, this is the costliest part, since they can't keep people, those two new hires probably aren't making enough hours or money, and this is why they are leaving sometimes as fast as they show up..(I know this contradicts what I've been saying, and it's probably indicative of how completely disconnected FDX is with it's workforce.)

Other than hotels/food I don't really see training being as expensive as FedEx makes it out to be, of course they don't want to waste time and money, but we've all seen what they've been hiring recently, so clearly there is a disconnect between what they want and what they are picking.

It will be fine

I was saying 75% each.(so 150%)
-a new hires contribution(if they make one) to 401k is typically smaller, FedEx's match is smaller
-most young new hires opt for the cheaper insurance, usually young and healthy and thus a smaller drain on the "group plan"
-most new hires don't reach fully vested pension, this is the costliest part, since they can't keep people, those two new hires probably aren't making enough hours or money, and this is why they are leaving sometimes as fast as they show up..(I know this contradicts what I've been saying, and it's probably indicative of how completely disconnected FDX is with it's workforce.)

Other than hotels/food I don't really see training being as expensive as FedEx makes it out to be, of course they don't want to waste time and money, but we've all seen what they've been hiring recently, so clearly there is a disconnect between what they want and what they are picking.
You take what you can get. I've had new hires that I've trained in 2 weeks that are as productive as a veteran and they cost me 20% less in wages. More often it's 3-4 weeks training and they end up not quite as good as a veteran but get there eventually in another month or so. Veterans aren't necessarily any better than new blood, it's all a crap shoot.