DOT to Non DOT

Oldfart

I was saying 75% each.(so 150%)
-a new hires contribution(if they make one) to 401k is typically smaller, FedEx's match is smaller
-most young new hires opt for the cheaper insurance, usually young and healthy and thus a smaller drain on the "group plan"
-most new hires don't reach fully vested pension, this is the costliest part, since they can't keep people, those two new hires probably aren't making enough hours or money, and this is why they are leaving sometimes as fast as they show up..(I know this contradicts what I've been saying, and it's probably indicative of how completely disconnected FDX is with it's workforce.)

Other than hotels/food I don't really see training being as expensive as FedEx makes it out to be, of course they don't want to waste time and money, but we've all seen what they've been hiring recently, so clearly there is a disconnect between what they want and what they are picking.
Some people have flights, rental cars and about $75 a day in meals. Their salary plus trainers salaries. All the associated expenses with HR and all the salaries of people that are involved from application to graduation of courier class. I don't have an exact figure, but it has to be way up there. Then you have newhires that wash out and quit. If you have a senior courier, you know what you have. You hire a guy, it is a crap shoot.

Schweddy

Balls
How can 2 new couriers perform 75% of a seasoned courier, yet be more productive?

Why is insurance , 401k and pension cost substantially cheaper. Might be a few dollars but by the time you hire, school and train a new hire, I would imagine you have 8 to 10 thousand dollars involved. Maybe more if Defensive Driving and Courier class is out of town.

Can't answer to insurance but 401k match is way cheaper considering they make half what you make and how long does it take to start 401k?

I could see it being $1000 per new hire, likely much less. Not 8-10k. Training, even at $25 an hour for an instructor, 8 hours, 5 days = 1000. It's really just 3 days anymore. Divide that by 10 or so new hires. Mileage just depends on how far they drove and isn't much, add food, etc.

Are you in Texas Oldfart?

Oldfart

Can't answer to insurance but 401k match is way cheaper considering they make half what you make and how long does it take to start 401k?

I could see it being $1000 per new hire, likely much less. Not 8-10k. Training, even at $25 an hour for an instructor, 8 hours, 5 days = 1000. It's really just 3 days anymore. Divide that by 10 or so new hires. Mileage just depends on how far they drove and isn't much, add food, etc.

Are you in Texas Oldfart?
I believe you are enrolled in the 401k the day you start and have to opt out.

$25 an hour for an instructor? Not hardly. Couriers make more than that, plus I believe there is a max of 3 students in def. driving and 5 in courier class. Our last new hire flew to Denver twice for both classes. He showed me his pictures from Red Rock. Those trips with his salary, meals and hotel, car and airfare were 3 or 4k. You are still not considering the associated costs that start from the time a person fills out an application. A background check is $100 or so dollars, a Dot Physical is maybe more. CDL fingerprinting is about $85. Couple hundred in new uniforms.

Doesn't matter the exact cost. I believe a station would rather have a roster full of veterans rather than a bunch of new hires. Even if a new hire is $10 hr cheaper than a veteran with pension and salary, you just don't know how he will pan out or stick around. A 30 yr veteran has already shown you.

Schweddy

Balls
Why would your station have every amenity and perk and have to FLY someone to Denver for a couple day training? I don't buy it.

Not the instructor's problem to fit people into a 700.. that's why they have van's that they can switch out the driver every 30 minutes.

STFXG

You're debating the minor cost of training as compared to a knee replacement, diabetes, cancer, or a myriad of other health issues/injuries that are more prevalent in older or less healthy employees that could've been weeded out by physicals.

The ONLY reason you are going non-DOT is to skirt the HOS laws. It has nothing to do with the $40 physicals.

vantexan

You're debating the minor cost of training as compared to a knee replacement, diabetes, cancer, or a myriad of other health issues/injuries that are more prevalent in older or less healthy employees that could've been weeded out by physicals.

The ONLY reason you are going non-DOT is to skirt the HOS laws. It has nothing to do with the $40 physicals.
You may be right to a point. It's not a situation where FedEx will try to make do with less people and force them to work 14+hrs a day. But rather when shorthanded be able to cover the work without incurring penalties from DOT. But also with the new emphasis on a lower BMI to prevent sleep apnea FedEx could ill afford to have operations constantly disrupted by having experienced couriers taken offline by failing physicals. So they got an exemption for drivers operating vehicles under 10000 lbs.

Oldfart

Why would your station have every amenity and perk and have to FLY someone to Denver for a couple day training? I don't buy it.

Not the instructor's problem to fit people into a 700.. that's why they have van's that they can switch out the driver every 30 minutes.
Driving instructors can have baby's and that's where the 1 for our district is. No idea why they went to Denver but that is where they went.

You can't certify a person in an econoline if they will be driving a Reach, 700 or 900. Must be certified in the largest truck they are qualifying to drive. Haven't seen too many of those style vans that hold 7 people. The one we borrowed has a small back seat with the bulkhead wall moved back.

Oldfart

So we are putting older couriers out to pasture and hiring new couriers.

Everyone in our station follows HOS, no matter what your classification is. Who wants to work 14 hrs anyway?

STFXG

So we are putting older couriers out to pasture and hiring new couriers.

Everyone in our station follows HOS, no matter what your classification is. Who wants to work 14 hrs anyway?
It's not for the 14 hours. It's for 7 days per week to cover holidays and energencies.
And yes, putting older couriers out to pasture would make sense for a company that doesn't care about its drivers. Which is why getting rid of physicals doesn't make sense according to the opinion of many on here.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's not for the 14 hours. It's for 7 days per week to cover holidays and energencies.
And yes, putting older couriers out to pasture would make sense for a company that doesn't care about its drivers. Which is why getting rid of physicals doesn't make sense according to the opinion of many on here.
Or maybe it's for ALL those reasons.

MAKAVELI

Just being old isn't going to cause someone to fail a physical. There are specific conditions that would preclude someone from getting their medical cards. But by no means are those conditions exclusive or common to age only. They are also finding out that as the economy improves, the pool for young people that can pass a background, drug test, and clean driving record, gets smaller and smaller.

Oldfart

Just being old isn't going to cause someone to fail a physical. There are specific conditions that would preclude someone from getting their medical cards. But by no means are those conditions exclusive or common to age only. They are also finding out that as the economy improves, the pool for young people that can pass a background, drug test, and clean driving record, gets smaller and smaller.
And finding people that want to work period.

Star B

White Lightening
So they got an exemption for drivers operating vehicles under 10000 lbs.
There's no 'exemption' made... it's been that you need a DOT card if you are 10k+. It's always been like that. There was a reason why most auto makers had their commercial vans at 9990 gvw. What I don't get is Grandpa who's on 8 different medicines and a heart stint can still drive his 20k+gvwr motorhome without any physical.

And finding people that want to work period.
Why was it a pain in the ass to get into UPS way back when? It was because once you got in, you were well taken care of. Now, for both UPS and us, it's no longer the case. Also, with technology nowadays, any bad employer behavior are held in memory for life vs just the locality where the transgression happened. Kids nowadays don't want to live thru what their parents have lived thru... work at the same job for 20 years and have the plant/office shutdown/get laid off because they outsourced to India or China. Plus they are smart enough to see thru the BS the CEOs spout "OH WE R SO BROKE WE CANT GIVE YOU A RAISE (but the board and I got one, hehehehe suckers)"

Counting the instructor, how do you get 7 people in a 700 for the on road portion. The training van we used to borrow for peak only had room for the instructor and 3 students.
training 900. two seats each side, big bench in back.

SmithBarney

Counting the instructor, how do you get 7 people in a 700 for the on road portion. The training van we used to borrow for peak only had room for the instructor and 3 students.
I guess you haven't seen the training 700/900's ours sat about 10 probably...(lay out below)
Driver - Pass
pass pass - pass pass
pass pass - pass pass

Schweddy

Balls
I never saw those.. I'm just a lowly non-dot driver. That sounds sweet. Hey, imagine how fast you'd be with 7 runners, le oldfart :P

SmithBarney

I never saw those.. I'm just a lowly non-dot driver. That sounds sweet. Hey, imagine how fast you'd be with 7 runners, le oldfart :P

The modified cargo area and bulkhead door didn't leave room for many package. They also use the cargo area for training as well, shorter shelves, fake packages, even fake roads labels to help practice loading. Also windows in the rear sides for the rear passengers, so they aren't completely terrified when riding with "new hires" who aren't exactly comfortable driving on the interstate in a 700(or their personal car)

overflowed

I guess you haven't seen the training 700/900's ours sat about 10 probably...(lay out below)
Driver - Pass
pass pass - pass pass
pass pass - pass pass
Class we went through had 9 couriers in the training truck. Then the recession hit and we actually were using it as a truck in the station.

overflowed

You may be right to a point. It's not a situation where FedEx will try to make do with less people and force them to work 14+hrs a day. But rather when shorthanded be able to cover the work without incurring penalties from DOT. But also with the new emphasis on a lower BMI to prevent sleep apnea FedEx could ill afford to have operations constantly disrupted by having experienced couriers taken offline by failing physicals. So they got an exemption for drivers operating vehicles under 10000 lbs.
When they started the sleep apnea thing at our doc in the box near the station, they started to have us go to another doc in the box a city away. We all started to go back to the original after a year or so. I imagine someone called the station and senior and rep from the original wanted the business back. Never heard of the sleep apnea thing ever again.