Double overtime !

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Was thinking about this today after being told to deliver off-areas loaded in my truck.

Obviously, UPS is not afraid to cut out routes and add more stops on overworked drivers. They have shown that it is cheaper to work us time and a half OT then to put in an extra route or two for better service and an earlier punchout time.

If in our next contract, we accept a pay freeze BUT we insist overtime will be payed 2X instead of 1.5X. Would this make for a happier workforce? Would Hoffa even get out from under UPS's bedsheets and take care of a huge problem that is at the core of over 50% of all negative threads and posts in this forum ! In this economy, freezing our pay and penalizing the extra forced hours makes total sense. The (useless) 9.5 language and a taxed workforce needs to be represented in my opinion.

Just wanted everyone's views on this. Would UPS still find a way to overwork its force at a steeper penalty? Can IE crunch the numbers to fit in their imaginary world? Will the Hoffa Slate need to be shown the door for someone to take care of the driver?

beentheredonethat

Was thinking about this today after being told to deliver off-areas loaded in my truck.

Obviously, UPS is not afraid to cut out routes and add more stops on overworked drivers. They have shown that it is cheaper to work us time and a half OT then to put in an extra route or two for better service and an earlier punchout time.

If in our next contract, we accept a pay freeze BUT we insist overtime will be payed 2X instead of 1.5X. Would this make for a happier workforce? Would Hoffa even get out from under UPS's bedsheets and take care of a huge problem that is at the core of over 50% of all negative threads and posts in this forum ! In this economy, freezing our pay and penalizing the extra forced hours makes total sense. The (useless) 9.5 language and a taxed workforce needs to be represented in my opinion.

Just wanted everyone's views on this. Would UPS still find a way to overwork its force at a steeper penalty? Can IE crunch the numbers to fit in their imaginary world? Will the Hoffa Slate need to be shown the door for someone to take care of the driver?

I think there are certain routes in each center where it kind of makes sense to have a longer paid day. The boonie routes where it's a good drive to get on area. It makes sense those have a higher paid day, since it costs UPS so much to get to\fr those routes. However, industrial routes downtown near the center, those routes makes sense to have a lower paid day since putting on another run when the to/fr is small doesn't have the same negative impact. If we did this and let the drivers know, then those drivers that want OT, can bid on the OT routes, those drivers that want a lower paid day, can bid on the lower paid day routes. Although lots of people complain about too much OT, there's a lot of folks out there, that want\need the OT hrs. We should be able to make the majority of the folks happy in this method.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
UPS will never agree to 2X OT.
It's true that giving OT is much more effective than new bodies, I agree that there is a limit to what they can do to any individual and/or group.
The Law of Diminishing Returns is subjective.....

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UPS will never agree to 2X OT.
It's true that giving OT is much more effective than new bodies, I agree that there is a limit to what they can do to any individual and/or group.
The Law of Diminishing Returns is subjective.....

The point I was trying to make is that paying us 1.5X for anything over 8 hours used to be a penalty. Now that UPS changed how the game has played, it becomes more a penalty for us. The reason we have a union is to make sure we are treated fairly. Every single driver on this board has felt the effects of UPS's new way of thinking. Now it's time for the Teamsters to freeze the pay rate and make them understand drivers are not Grand Canyon mules.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
The point I was trying to make is that paying us 1.5X for anything over 8 hours used to be a penalty. Now that UPS changed how the game has played, it becomes more a penalty for us. The reason we have a union is to make sure we are treated fairly. Every single driver on this board has felt the effects of UPS's new way of thinking. Now it's time for the Teamsters to freeze the pay rate and make them understand drivers are not Grand Canyon mules.

Penalty...True. It hasn't been that way for a couple of years though. No center manager wants to pay OT, but there is a certain amount budgeted I'm sure.
I'm not at UPS anymore, but I hold some stock and enjoy this forum. I USED to work at the Rockford hub but left after a short time for a better job. I still watch my stock and like the Dividends!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
For some reason anytime I received a message that involved working later than than normal doing something that wasn't part of my regular route the pay would figure out to be about double time as I would slow down to half speed.:wink2:

UPS has been cutting routes and paying OT for decades...this is nothing new. And yes it does get old at times.

SWORDFISH

Why is everyone so ready to take a pay freeze? No way I agree to this. Did you see the CEOs salary over 6milion. I tell you what I take a freeze if the CEO and all the other big dogs knock their salaries in half. Hef, I like the spirit of the double time idea but other than that I think it would be better to have something like 2 allowed 8hr requests per week per driver. That way UPS could still load you up 3 days but the other 2 days you work 8hr if you choose. :peaceful:

UPSF Peeon

i would only support this if it was 2x after 10 hours in a day or 50 hours in a week because if it was after 8 or 40 they wouldnt let anybody have any overtime

ftballer67

Amen Swordfish, a pay freeze for part timers like myself would be out of the question. The PTers have never been motivated to vote, but if UPS/IBT puts a pay freeze on the table, come contract time I believe the PTers will finally make their presence felt and kill the deal.

Alot of full timers forget when talking about a pay freeze that not everyone is making 30.00 an hour

rod

Retired 22 years
Amen Swordfish, a pay freeze for part timers like myself would be out of the question. The PTers have never been motivated to vote, but if UPS/IBT puts a pay freeze on the table, come contract time I believe the PTers will finally make their presence felt and kill the deal.

Alot of full timers forget when talking about a pay freeze that not everyone is making 30.00 an hour

Unless the part time mind set has changed in the last few years I doubt they would be inclined to vote even if UPS was freezing their wages. The part timers have a dismal record of actually voting. (full time isn't much better)

KingofBrown

Be thankful you got a job, and that you have the 1.5x for now. Hahahahaha! Just kidding. Hey I think you can write a letter saying you don't want overtime, since drivers have lives outside of UPS. I don't remember the article, it would be good if someone pulls it off in here. I don't know if the Union will listen to you, don't know how things are going on on your center with the Union. As for the 2x, I don't think they would ever come to such an agreement. Because that's the main thing UPS wants to eliminate if they're not exploiting a driver. But, it would be great if drivers had the 2x, there would be more open jobs and they (Supervisors) would care you can do the job on the 9.5 you're required to. In other words they would put attention on doing their jobs behind the desk and giving the right amount of work.

Just_another_day_at_work

I think it's a good idea (2X), whatever makes me stay between 8-9 hours. I would love to have a 9 cutoff instead of 9.5. It makes a lot of difference for me. 8 hours requests 4 times a month, I would love Fridays. :happy2:

SWORDFISH

I think it's a good idea (2X), whatever makes me stay between 8-9 hours. I would love to have a 9 cutoff instead of 9.5. It makes a lot of difference for me. 8 hours requests 4 times a month, I would love Fridays. :happy2:

My idea was 8 8hr requests per month. You could actually plan stuff during the week and have a life that isnt brown this way.

Would you believe that the wage is only $0.50 higher for part timers in my center than it was about 13yrs ago when I was getting paid a good wage to work p/t?

upsset

I would vote for 2x time although the company would never go there, but, why would you even suggest a pay freeze?

klein

Für Meno :)
Actually the goverment should implement a new law for 2X OT for everyone.
We all need more jobs. That should create a few of them !!!! :)