Driver accused of theft..

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

15419669942129155.gif
My signature park position! Perfect way to not get hit. Block the road on both sides, no backing into a driveway and not blocking any.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Still, I'd be very very curious as to why a $12k package wasn't identified as high value.
How is anybody to know what is inside? Anything not to be released will be coded as not to allow us to release.

Now, if he signed it off, he's screwed.

barnyard

KTM rider
And my building was so freaked by HV's you were also required to get a real signature on a paper form in addition to the digital signature on the diad.

My building still does this. The sheet of paper is usually signed by a preload supe, the preloader, me and the customer.

Damn man, I have customers telling me to leave their package all the time through their doorbells. “I’m not home but it’s cool”... no thanks I’m not forging a signature, I just slap an info notice over the camera and move on.

Sincerely, full time bonus driver

LeftRS1

One of those Millennials Drivers
I had a $20k valued pkg a few weeks back heading to Japan. The shipper didnt insure it so it went on the belt per management.

rod

Retired 22 years
The neighbors committed theft by retaining a misdelivered package. Should have showed up on one of your suspension days with the Sheriff. I think I remember you mentioned this story before, were the neighbors the people you got payback on over the years?

Many times over. (Never PO the UPS guy)

trickpony1

Should have showed up on one of your suspension days with the Sheriff.

The OP may want to try this and be sure to have the Sheriff mention that theft from an interstate shipment is a felony.

The USPS misdelivered a friends package. Thief claimed he didn't have it until the police showed up to remind him that theft from an interstate shipment is a felony.

My friend got her misdelivered article brought to her door by the thief.

rod

Retired 22 years
The neighbors committed theft by retaining a misdelivered package. Should have showed up on one of your suspension days with the Sheriff. I think I remember you mentioned this story before, were the neighbors the people you got payback on over the years?

Hindsight is always better. Yes I should have. Later on I always used the "guess we will have to turn it over to Law Enforcement" line on any driver follow up----and it does work.

Nolimitz

The OP may want to try this and be sure to have the Sheriff mention that theft from an interstate shipment is a felony.

The USPS misdelivered a friends package. Thief claimed he didn't have it until the police showed up to remind him that theft from an interstate shipment is a felony.

My friend got her misdelivered article brought to her door by the thief.
IF it is mis delivered it is not theft. Would I keep it? No. but if some dumb :censored2: leaves something at my door, I did not steal it.

ACmoses

Do you believe being a scratch driver carries any weight when they want to fire you to make you an example for other drivers? Not in the least. Signing for a package is an idiotic thing to do. Dishonesty is a cardinal sin. If you get your job back, spend your next paycheck entirely on powerball tickets.
I've seen more bonus drivers fired than I have over allowed drivers. Dishonesty seems to be the common denominator. Go figure!

clean hairy

I do it for a customer who has a medical condition that prevents him from writing at all. I spell out his name in print only if he there to accept the package and doesn’t have anyone else there to sign.
If he can hold the stylus and even make a partial line on the diad, you notate on the diad by the partial line he made "customers mark" If management questions it, explain it, if need be, have them go with you to meet the customer. Then, they will understand.

Nolimitz

If the name on the package is anything other than Mr. Nolimitz and the address doesn't match your address...it's theft if you keep it.

Fairly simple concept...
Years ago UPS left a pkg hidden by a door we never use. I found it a month or two later while working in yard. It was a high end paint sprayer. could no longer read the label it had been there so long. No one ever came looking for it. I donated it to a church yard sale. Did I steal it?
friend no. Some dumb :censored2: lost it in my yard. I have no legal obligation to source the owner.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Years ago UPS left a pkg hidden by a door we never use. I found it a month or two later while working in yard. It was a high end paint sprayer. could no longer read the label it had been there so long. No one ever came looking for it. I donated it to a church yard sale. Did I steal it?
friend no. Some dumb :censored2: lost it in my yard. I have no legal obligation to source the owner.

Theft requires intent to deprive the rightful owner of their property. You demonstrated no such intent. When you receive a package intended for someone else, and they come looking for it, and you don't give them their property, that is theft.