Driver Annual Renewal - Financial Info

Dvr Alan

I've hired my share of additional help But, unlike these other two guys I didn't get into this thing so deep and so constrained and so powerless to the point where I had no choice but to bow to the absolute will and demands of that company. I could get out under favorable terms. They hold you up to the public as well as to capitalize on the economy of the matter by calling you " independent" contractors but you are just that....an independent contractor in name only. Granted they may in the end make out OK if they continue to play along with this scam and are willing to place at risk whatever additional capital XG demands of them but there are no guarantees given that XG makes it clear that they will never undertake any specific measures designed solely for the purpose of protecting their interests and equity.

I also got out on favorable terms. I stayed on as a driver to a contractor I wanted to work for....who unfortunately had to get out too. I now work for a CSP who can't find drivers ($$), has a substandard fleet of vehicles ($$) and who I feel is "in deep ($$)". All that risk while the company you provide services to just released a fantastic Financial Report! It's definitely "all good" for somebody drinking the Koolaid!!!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I've hired my share of additional help But, unlike these other two guys I didn't get into this thing so deep and so constrained and so powerless to the point where I had no choice but to bow to the absolute will and demands of that company. I could get out under favorable terms. They hold you up to the public as well as to capitalize on the economy of the matter by calling you " independent" contractors but you are just that....an independent contractor in name only. Granted they may in the end make out OK if they continue to play along with this scam and are willing to place at risk whatever additional capital XG demands of them but there are no guarantees given that XG makes it clear that they will never undertake any specific measures designed solely for the purpose of protecting their interests and equity.

You didn't like the terms, got out, and haven't stopped complaining. The "two other guys" are playing by the rules presented to them, don't do much griping, and seem to be doing fine with it. If any of your warnings have any merit, they probably knew about it before you told them.

It will be fine

I also got out on favorable terms. I stayed on as a driver to a contractor I wanted to work for....who unfortunately had to get out too. I now work for a CSP who can't find drivers ($$), has a substandard fleet of vehicles ($$) and who I feel is "in deep ($$)". All that risk while the company you provide services to just released a fantastic Financial Report! It's definitely "all good" for somebody drinking the Koolaid!!!
The labor market is definetly getting tight, but that's for literally everyone right now. The overlap contracts are pure garbage, but the growth is out of control so if you can retain decent drivers they can do a lot of work, even bad ones can be profitable. They just announced more markets going 6 day HD so we'll see how that works out for gaining even more market share. Change has always been the only constant with Ground, if you can continue to adapt there's still money to be made.

bacha29

The labor market is definetly getting tight, but that's for literally everyone right now. The overlap contracts are pure garbage, but the growth is out of control so if you can retain decent drivers they can do a lot of work, even bad ones can be profitable. They just announced more markets going 6 day HD so we'll see how that works out for gaining even more market share. Change has always been the only constant with Ground, if you can continue to adapt there's still money to be made.
But here's the issue IWBF. XG wants you contractor's your employees as well as your overall operations vetted in a manner very similar to the manner in which federal contractor's are vetted. It wouldn't be so bad if they would give you enough money whereby instead of only being able to offer pay that is at best about what a department manager makes at a chain retail outlet you instead could offer them the same as what that federal contractor is required to pay his employees who are performing similar work. As you pointed out you and the others are almost certainly going to have to find not just quantities of additional people but people of character who meets the standards XG demands begging the question..... are you going to be able to get enough of them? It only stands to reason that when you lay out this new half a mile long set of demands you better have at the end a pay scale big enough to avoid having them laugh you out clean out of the room.

Bounty

What is the justification for FedEx to require a Contractor Service Provider's (CSP) drivers to authorize a third party firm to obtain personal financial information on the driver and that future reports can be done without any further authorization? What does that have to do with the FMCSA 391.25 renewal?

There is no justification, if the “contractor” is the employer it’s none of X’s business about the financial information of there employees. It’s a scam!!

Oldfart

There is no justification, if the “contractor” is the employer it’s none of X’s business about the financial information of there employees. It’s a scam!!
Wouldn't Fedex want to know about the financials of the drivers that handle their packages? You trust a person to deliver high value shipments, seems like you want to know the type of person you are dealing with. Even if they aren't employees.

Bounty

Wouldn't Fedex want to know about the financials of the drivers that handle their packages? You trust a person to deliver high value shipments, seems like you want to know the type of person you are dealing with. Even if they aren't employees.
What if the driver refused to let x have the information? What would x force the “contractor” to do?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They don’t have that information on Express employees.

Oldfart

They don’t have that information on Express employees.
Maybe because they aren't employees they want tabs on their credit. I have no idea how Ground or Home works. Unlike you, if it doesn't affect me, I don't worry about it. I did have a friend that used to do Cartage agent work for us years ago. Running late freight and delivering missed freight to stops. He told me in order to get the gig, he had to let Fedex run a credit report on him. I would bet the car wash crew and the business that has the custodial contract just might be subject to one as well. Companies now days are running credit reports on new employees. They also monitor social media activity. Better to find out a person is bankrupt before they hire them than to find out afterwards and the employee was stealing them blind.

bacha29

No doubt.

Independent operator =misclassification
Now that most of the class actions have been settled XG no longer has any fear whatsoever regarding any potential misclassification litigation. Therefore in reality what they bought for themselves was indeed protection and rest assured they will extract the highest benefit possible from that protection.

bacha29

So guys we are all asking the same question.......Just exactly what is the end game here? What we do know is that fewer ideally suited job candidates are going to be willing to subject themselves to what is becoming a highly intrusive vetting process for the money being offered while contractors continue to lose even more of what little control they have.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Maybe because they aren't employees they want tabs on their credit. I have no idea how Ground or Home works. Unlike you, if it doesn't affect me, I don't worry about it. I did have a friend that used to do Cartage agent work for us years ago. Running late freight and delivering missed freight to stops. He told me in order to get the gig, he had to let Fedex run a credit report on him. I would bet the car wash crew and the business that has the custodial contract just might be subject to one as well. Companies now days are running credit reports on new employees. They also monitor social media activity. Better to find out a person is bankrupt before they hire them than to find out afterwards and the employee was stealing them blind.
Lol. Why you think I’m worried about what goes on at Ground is beyond me.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I know I have fresh tires on my van.
6D4FAFFA-CD53-42CB-9AF0-1EFFD7189F8D.gif