Driver Annual Renewal - Financial Info

bacha29

That doesn't really fly with their attempts to squeeze out the smaller contractors. They aren't handing over a contract for 10 routes to a driver. It had a chance of success during the IC model when a guy could just run his own truck, running a real company is a different animal.
Running a real company? What do you know about that? With what little autonomy you once had having been stripped away what you are left with today are the combined duties of a working foreman and payroll clerk.

It will be fine

Running a real company? What do you know about that? With what little autonomy you once had having been stripped away what you are left with today are the combined duties of a working foreman and payroll clerk.
You don't know what you're talking about. There's a reason you never expanded and left the industry. Blame your location and population demographics all you like, but the reality is you couldn't run the business side. You are the perfect example of why turning a larger company over to a driver won't yield good results for FedEx.

bacha29

You don't know what you're talking about. There's a reason you never expanded and left the industry. Blame your location and population demographics all you like, but the reality is you couldn't run the business side. You are the perfect example of why turning a larger company over to a driver won't yield good results for FedEx.
If you can operate under the unbalanced terms you are presented with for any length of time you do in fact know something about how to run a business. The again you don't have to know much about how to run a business when all decisions both major and minor are made by someone other than you. In your situation what you believe to be business decisions are in reality DIRECTIVES that are simply handed to you to execute within an extremely narrow set a parameters and management tolerances . And God help if you ever step outside them.

It will be fine

If you can operate under the unbalanced terms you are presented with for any length of time you do in fact know something about how to run a business. The again you don't have to know much about how to run a business when all decisions both major and minor are made by someone other than you. In your situation what you believe to be business decisions are in reality DIRECTIVES that are simply handed to you to execute within an extremely narrow set a parameters and management tolerances . And God help if you ever step outside them.
Every post you make demonstrates how little you understand.

bacha29

Every post you make demonstrates how little you understand.
What I do understand is what I posted on the other active thread. When I hear the phrase " owning your own business " you are the following:
The registered owner of an independently managed and self governing enterprise. One that is completely free of direct scrutiny , influence or control on the part of some other private interest . That in my opinion is the definition of a true true independent contractor . If not then just exactly is one?

bbsam

Staff member
What I do understand is what I posted on the other active thread. When I hear the phrase " owning your own business " you are the following:
The registered owner of an independently managed and self governing enterprise. One that is completely free of direct scrutiny , influence or control on the part of some other private interest . That in my opinion is the definition of a true true independent contractor . If not then just exactly is one?
There does not exist any independent contracting within the confines of your definition.

It will be fine

What business exists that is free of scrutiny or influence from its customers or financiers? I made a dozen decisions today with no one looking over my shoulder. I spent the remainder of the day playing video games on my couch.

bacha29

There does not exist any independent contracting within the confines of your definition.
Then just exactly what it is you've got? You do not have any say whatsoever when it comes to formulating company strategy targeting markets developing ways to serve them establishing prices or margins. All you do is put ever more money at risk which is never represented in any way shape or form ( but the shareholder's always are} in exchange for being handed a set amount of money and directives based on what they not you believe will cost you to get the task completed. So my question is. Can you identify for me the specific freedom control and autonomy that serves as the basis for both the claim of independence and the " partnership" agreement X claims to exist. Likewise in the environment of a true partnership it is only reasonable and customary for the terms of that "partnership" to be in balance. I don't see it here.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Then just exactly what it is you've got? You do not have any say whatsoever when it comes to formulating company strategy targeting markets developing ways to serve them establishing prices or margins. All you do is put ever more money at risk which is never represented in any way shape or form ( but the shareholder's always are} in exchange for being handed a set amount of money and directives based on what they not you believe will cost you to get the task completed. So my question is. Can you identify for me the specific freedom control and autonomy that serves as the basis for both the claim of independence and the " partnership" agreement X claims to exist. Likewise in the environment of a true partnership it is only reasonable and customary for the terms of that "partnership" to be in balance. I don't see it here.
this is too long and i dont want to get a new one of those

bacha29

What business exists that is free of scrutiny or influence from its customers or financiers? I made a dozen decisions today with no one looking over my shoulder. I spent the remainder of the day playing video games on my couch.
I'm not talking about the scrutiny and influence of customers and financiers. I'm talking about the scrutiny control and influence impacted by XG. THEY not the customers and financiers who are proclaiming you to be an "independent contractor" and an "entrepreneur".

It will be fine

I'm not talking about the scrutiny and influence of customers and financiers. I'm talking about the scrutiny control and influence impacted by XG. THEY not the customers and financiers who are proclaiming you to be an "independent contractor" and an "entrepreneur".
Fedex is my customer. I provide a service to them. They scrutinize how that service is performed.

bbsam

Staff member
I could probably agree with everything you’ve written and still tell you you’re wrong. Why? Because what you describe Fedex to be IS WHAT CONTRACTING IN THE US HAS BECOME!

Corporations are people and money is speech.

Remember that and it all starts to make sense.

bbsam

Staff member
Fedex is my customer. I provide a service to them. They scrutinize how that service is performed.
I have to disagree. Fedex is not the customer (even though they will tell you so). They are actually the agent between the shipper and the consignee using “Contracted Service Providers” to perform the part of the labor.

It will be fine

I have to disagree. Fedex is not the customer (even though they will tell you so). They are actually the agent between the shipper and the consignee using “Contracted Service Providers” to perform the part of the labor.
That only works if I could get the volume through an different agent. I can't. Fedex provides the packages and sorts them. Fedex is my only customer.

bacha29

Right and they are you're ONE and ONLY customer and as long as you are hauling under their DOT/ICC authority they will always be your one and only customer. And you and I both know what would happen if you were to get your own operating authority. Now you could get it but I feel quite certain that you would never be able to haul their freight under your own authority

Dvr Alan

I like the word used in one of the comments....BALANCE.

So, a question for the Contractors....while FedEx continues to excel in its operations and the dividends to investors grow too...where is the BALANCE for you so that just a few more improvements can be made within your "business?.

I understand risk and had no problem with it and I have a business background, but no matter how hard I tried to "manage", there was never enough money to "properly" address all operational concerns of mine..even while I tried to plan a couple of months out. So, I had no choice ($$) but to leave after nine years.

What contractors are really doing to survive these days is alarming and the driver is at the bottom. I've been at both ends now and believe me, it's never been this bad!

So, with all that $$, all FedEx really has to do is sweeten the pot just a little for you guys...if they asked you how much would you ask for per PSA?
Zero????

bbsam

Staff member
That only works if I could get the volume through an different agent. I can't. Fedex provides the packages and sorts them. Fedex is my only customer.
Doesn’t have to be that way. If I sold to a local LTL company, that company would have other customers.

And to correct my previous post, FedEx is the principal and the contractors are the agents.

bacha29

I like the word used in one of the comments....BALANCE.

So, a question for the Contractors....while FedEx continues to excel in its operations and the dividends to investors grow too...where is the BALANCE for you so that just a few more improvements can be made within your "business?.

I understand risk and had no problem with it and I have a business background, but no matter how hard I tried to "manage", there was never enough money to "properly" address all operational concerns of mine..even while I tried to plan a couple of months out. So, I had no choice ($$) but to leave after nine years.

What contractors are really doing to survive these days is alarming and the driver is at the bottom. I've been at both ends now and believe me, it's never been this bad!

So, with all that $$, all FedEx really has to do is sweeten the pot just a little for you guys...if they asked you how much would you ask for per PSA?
Zero????
IWBF keeps accusing the rest of us of " not knowing how to run business" That may be true but what is in keeping with "knowing how to run a business" is knowing when to get out. Knowing when that 'get out of jail free" card is within your reach. It's the person who " doesn't know how to run a business" is the one who doesn't know enough to grab it when it comes along and it may be just one time only. Knowing enough not to hang around for the last dance.
Like you I wasn't willing put more capital into a venture at a time when the risks and the returns were going in opposite directions Of the 4 converted ISP contractors who remained at my station when I left over 2 years ago one sold out under duress and at a depressed price. Another has had her contract up for sale since last fall yet she can't get any better than a"take it off your hands" kind of offer.

I wish IWBF and BBSAM the best but I've seen nothing to indicate that their routes are worth anymore than they are right at this very moment.

bbsam

Staff member
IWBF keeps accusing the rest of us of " not knowing how to run business" That may be true but what is in keeping with "knowing how to run a business" is knowing when to get out. Knowing when that 'get out of jail free" card is within your reach. It's the person who " doesn't know how to run a business" is the one who doesn't know enough to grab it when it comes along and it may be just one time only. Knowing enough not to hang around for the last dance.
Like you I wasn't willing put more capital into a venture at a time when the risks and the returns were going in opposite directions Of the 4 converted ISP contractors who remained at my station when I left over 2 years ago one sold out under duress and at a depressed price. Another has had her contract up for sale since last fall yet she can't get any better than a"take it off your hands" kind of offer.

I wish IWBF and BBSAM the best but I've seen nothing to indicate that their routes are worth anymore than they are right at this very moment.
Seriously?!?

You just admitted yesterday that you were looking to get back in under the right circumstances!

In simple terms they have NO CHOICE but to comply with whatever XG demands whether it's lawful or not because they have no recourse. Instead hoping to preserve their equity in an operating environment that was never designed for that purpose.

In fact over the past few days I've had discussions involving my purchasing an existing ISP contract if it could be structured to meet the requirements of a tax free property exchange. But when I found out about the vetting process which demands the surrendering of personal information that had absolutely Nothing to do with Fedex operations the discussions ended right then and there.

bacha29

Seriously?!?

You just admitted yesterday that you were looking to get back in under the right circumstances!
I was contacted about whether or not I would be an interested buyer . I simply asked the right questions. Questions geared toward finding out why the seller was wanting out. The answers were what I had expected. The risk vs. reward ratio was without question shifting more toward risk with the prospects of rebalancing was becoming more distant .