Driver fired for falsifying timecard...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They do not care when, or if you take it, as long as you put in THAT you took it. They will fire you in a New York minute for sitting, but look the other way when you work THROUGH the designated time.

Last edited:

satellitedriver

A driver was fired, as of this morning, for entering his lunch as 12-1 but taking it at the end of the day. Normally this isn't a major concern but, as I was told, the driver was given numerous verbal and a written warnings. I was also told that the BA said there wasn't much he could do about it.
There must be more to this story.
Numerous verbal and written warnings?
No way a lunch time violation should get one fired.
When a BA backs off, a deal has been made.

DS

Fenderbender
I don't know why every driver does not put in the actual time they take their break.Anything else is a lie.
I realize every area is different but why lie?I agree with brownmonster,take your break after you get your air and bulk off and make it their problem if you can't get it done after that.Do this for a week and they will get the message.I do believe though that if some center manager decides he does not like you or anyone else,he will find some way to get rid of you, albeit temporarily.

satellitedriver

I think there is a lot to the "local practice" clause with regard to lunch. For example, drivers in the Central States only get 30 minutes of lunch and one paid ten minute break. It happens to be our local practice to enter it in the board between the third and fifth hour, we can take it or break it up as we wish, but take no more than 30 minutes unpaid time.

I am in Central States.
1hr unpaid "lunch" deducted.
It can only be recorded in the DIAD as two separate breaks if the full hour is not taken in one sit down.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You were correct. There was a bit more to this. 3rd party info here but I was told he was stop completing his pre-records while on his lunch at the end of the day which, as I wrote earlier, he didn't enter in his DIAD. A lot of stupid stuff going on here.....

There must be more to this story.
Numerous verbal and written warnings?
No way a lunch time violation should get one fired.
When a BA backs off, a deal has been made.

Sounds like the above is a big nail in the drivers coffin.

SWORDFISH

I like all of your centers. We had a lawsuit involving lunches awhile back
so we must take lunch between the 3rd and no later than the end of the 5th hr
and they only want us taking 30min. They monitor the records and make sure we
are taking lunch on time and not delivering. No lunches at the end of the day.
I also like how easy the management is on this guy(what center is this im
transfering). We would get lynched immediately for doing what hes doing no
warnings. I personally think UPS has become to milititant and think there needs
to be more grace and less lynching. We had a driver get fired w/ no warning for
entering a 30mn lunch in for his helper they mutually agreed on and working him
during that time. He got his job back. He wasnt trying to be dishonest just
not very smart.

CharleyHustle

Interesting, we get a 10 min paid break which we can work through if we want. Then we must take at least 20 min unpaid break up to 50min. Anything over an hour total has to be approved by management. We can take our breaks anytime we want. We can get prior approval to not take any breaks, but you do have to explain why, getting home to watch American Idol doesn't cut it.

JustTired

free at last.......
I guess I will never understand the whole lunch problem.

There are very few reasons for not being able to take your lunch in the middle of the day. The most valid one I can think of is being in the middle of nowhere all day without a restaurant in sight. That would be an extreme case and unlikely for 98% of drivers.

As I've said in the past...lunch was the highlight of my day. My biggest problem was keeping within the time allowed. I understand that not everybody has a place they can go where they can make friends and become one of the townsfolk, but the break from work and just getting out of the PC for a while is priceless.

Take my lunch in the building at the end of the day?.........not an option(personally)!

Whatever you decide.....just put it in the diad correctly......anything else is falsification........a position you put yourself into and shouldn't require a bailout from the union. JMO

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I am in Central States.
1hr unpaid "lunch" deducted.
It can only be recorded in the DIAD as two separate breaks if the full hour is not taken in one sit down.

You may be in central states health and welfare, but are you under the central region supplement? If you are, you only get 30 minutes unpaid lunch,to be taken between the 3rd and 5th hour of work, no time is taken from your paycheck unless you enter it as lunch, and 1 ten minute paid break.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I guess that 30 minute lunch must be a Kansas thing. Anyway, I think the "local practice" clause still applies.

Not really Dusty. We have a 30 min (we can take up to an hour) unpaid lunch and 2 15 min. paid breaks. I never take my first paid break between the 2 and 3 rd hr. Air usually makes it impossible. I always take at least my first break and lunch at the same time sometime during the middle of the day. It may be around noon or it may not be until 3pm. Depending on the rte, I may take the full hour all at once. If I'm on a rte that is heavy I will save the last break until later in the day. We must put in lunch or face warning letters. There are some that don't take lunch which is only asking for trouble. It hasn't happened yet but the day will come when it bites someone hard.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
We get an hour and ten. The ten is paid, and will be taken all at one time. The hour? If you wish, you can take 20 5 minute lunches, but for ease of recording, you can enter it all as one hour. If you don't take the hour, it will be taken for you, and you lose an hour of pay. You can only skip the lunch with special permission from the center manager and God, which doesn't happen very often.
Feeders is a little differnt- Since you have a scuhudle, you have to take your breaks at the same places/times each day. Again, you better put the time in, or UPS gets the hour, "free of charge"

klein

Für Meno :)
We get an hour and ten. The ten is paid, and will be taken all at one time. The hour? If you wish, you can take 20 5 minute lunches, but for ease of recording, you can enter it all as one hour. If you don't take the hour, it will be taken for you, and you lose an hour of pay. You can only skip the lunch with special permission from the center manager and God, which doesn't happen very often.
Feeders is a little differnt- Since you have a scuhudle, you have to take your breaks at the same places/times each day. Again, you better put the time in, or UPS gets the hour, "free of charge"

same here 1 hr, take it, or lose it. (plus the paid 10 min break)

Cezanne

A driver was fired, as of this morning, for entering his lunch as 12-1 but taking it at the end of the day. Normally this isn't a major concern but, as I was told, the driver was given numerous verbal and a written warnings. I was also told that the BA said there wasn't much he could do about it.

Other than the tough guy responses that get thrown around from both sides what are some of your thoughts about this...

I take lunch at the end of my day but I enter it as such. My on-road is aware of it and it isn't a concern. The on-road for the driver in question has a hair across his *** about it and pursued the termination. His argument is about following the contract which, I agree, is a valid point.

It just seems odd that a middle ground couldn't be met here. I am sure there is some 'other' stuff that probably isn't common knowledge but could some of you in management please explain what else could have been done other than firing the driver??
One of the golden rules in the court of law "Does the punishment fit the crime", the one item that hurts is the progressive discipline issue. Also depends on the driver's work record and time of service. Just too many other factors that can play in whether this driver gets back to work. That being said, you are the only one responsible for your own protection, never count on fair play with these union hearings, always have a contingency plan in place if you feel that you were not fairly represented.:wink2:

Dark_Team_135

You may be in central states health and welfare, but are you under the central region supplement? If you are, you only get 30 minutes unpaid lunch,to be taken between the 3rd and 5th hour of work, no time is taken from your paycheck unless you enter it as lunch, and 1 ten minute paid break.

We are Central States here and we get a 50 minute unpaid lunch and a 10 minute paid break. It is covered under Article 18 and says that the duration of the lunch period is as per local past practice. This isn't even enforced. In different centers we have different practices right now that people can take from 10 minutes up to 50 minutes for lunch depending on the center you work in....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
While there is probably more to this than was posted, the timecard is your bill to ups for your time. They have a right to have it be accurate in every way. If it is not correct in every way, they have the right to require you to make the corrections on that time card.

Anybody that refuses is a fool.

Put in the actual time you take for lunch. I always hit the key that imprinted the time, I never actually entered the time.

Now, one thing that I have seen happen is a driver meets other drivers for lunch. He has 20 stops in pre-record. Things like ground stops that he delivered as he was delivering air, rezzies etc.

Every couple of minutes while he is sitting there, he is bringing up a stop, and hitting stop complete.

Later on, as he gets back to the building, he takes lunch, and enters that time as lunch time.

Needless to say, it did not take UPS long to film and terminate.

So as I said, I about bet there is some additional information not in this thread.

d

tfinnegan

happy exupser
Isn't it interesting how the Union rule is start your lunch between your 4th and 5th hour. In my area the start time is 09:00. That means the earliest time I could go to lunch is 13:00 hrs...Now the Company doesn't want me to attempt commercial stops between 12:00 and 13:00 because somewhere in the Corporate UPS world in Atlanta every place shuts down at 12:00 for 1 hour...Interesting....must only happen at 55 Glenlake Parkway NE...

chopstic

Well... he got verbal and written warnings.
We should all be so lucky to actually get "warnings" before the real discipline starts. This guy had every chance to do the right thing, but consciously chose a dishonest action instead.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i will say it again
if he was not stealing time he should hire a attorney who should subpoena every drivers timecard in his building,,than the country,,and fire everyone of them as well....this post makes no sense --------------- i think it will be a cold day in hell when a driver gets fired for working through lunch​