Driver Helper

over9five

Staff member
How "great" was her "shape". I had a girl helper once that lived on my area. After peak was over she invited me over to her house and made me lunch. It was innocent (we were both married) but it was kinda uncomfortable. She was a good helper though.

LOL! This girl lived on my route too. Her MOM made us both lunch every day!!!

Re-Raise

They may also think about leaving you hanging on a busy day if they are treated like :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:.

You are a preload supervisor ? You don't mind when people don't show up ?

I guess that is how you play. If someone treats me like :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: I tell them to stop .

I don't abandon my job to get back at them. That is what a child might do , a child that won't have a job anymore.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
.....my fear is the people that are actually hired as an employees. you know, the ones that after being here for a year or so that still dont have a clue..............d
Daniel, I am going to take you to task on this statement. I started driving 3 yrs ago next March. It wasn't until this year that I got even halfway proficient at delivering. I learned on my own. I learned the diad, I learned the rtes, and I am still learning the methods (all on my own). The first 2 years I put up with drivers being pissed at me because the had to come and help. Now I am the one to go help if need be.

I show seasoned drivers things in the diad that they didn't know about. Even tonite I showed a driver something they didn't know but, it took me time to learn. More time than, apparently, you are willing to allow. I had a customer, today, come and give me a big hug. I would not have ever gotten that hug if I wasn't given the chance (NO, not the chance..... TIME). So, I beg to differ with you. Sometimes, people can become the best employees if given the time to learn. And proper training from peers such as yourself. To be sure, this is something that I never got. I value your advice and wisdom, but you need to remember, that not everyone learns at a fast pace.

This is one of the problems that I have with UPS requiring everyone to know DOK verbatim. I can't remember them but I know them. I can't tell you verbatim my next 5 stops but I know them. I don't like the fact that UPS doesn't like us to pre-record stops. The truth is pre-recording is a very effective tool to learning the rtes. I pre-recorded for forever. I still do it on a rte that I don't know very well. The better I know the rte the less I pre-record.
So the next time you are 'afraid', STOP and ask yourself "Am I being fair to that person?".

jthor99

Is it uncommon or is this guy pulling my leg? I've been doing a driver helper for about 2 weeks now. I come to work everyday and bust my butt for my driver, and he certainly appeciates that. I try to pick up his lunch tab, and I'm always on time, never complain, etc.

Well he mentioned to me the other day if I wanted a position in the warehouse? I said I was going back to school in January, but I didn't have another job lined up after this seasonal helper was over with. So, I said sure why not! I asked him if they were hiring because I had read on this board that if anything UPS was letting people go.

He said that there basically "always" hiring, but right now Yes it's hard to get "in house" so to speak. He said I was the type of person UPS would be looking for, and that he would mention something. He keeps asking everyday I work if I'm interested, but I can't tell if he's messing with me or not. He sounds pretty sincere, and he keeps saying I have a strong work ethic.

My issue is I want to start looking for another job after this one is over, but I wouldn't mind staying on board if he really does try to get me in the warehouse. I wasn't sure if he was just telling me all that just to keep me working hard. Which, either way I'm gonna bust my butt for the guy

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I've never had an "inside" helper.

Most of my helpers have been adequate. I think that's the best you can hope for, and I think a lot of that depends on YOUR attitude. I try to have fun out there. I try to make it fun for my helper, too. People having fun will work harder.

One "bad" helper that stands out in my mind didn't want to get out of the truck in the rain. He didn't understand that the packages have to get delivered, rain or shine. I took him back to his car and told him to go home. UPS rewarded him for this by having him go help deliver a mall the next day.

Two really "good" helpers stand out in my mind. One was a young girl in great shape who wanted to work fast, and could do so all day.
One was a guy just out of the Air Force. Same thing. In great shape, and could work hard all day.

All in all, the good far outnumbered the bad.
agreed!!!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
3 of my old helpers are now full time drivers makes me feel old ,or fear they may hunt me down and kill me lol lol

jthor99

3 of my old helpers are now full time drivers makes me feel old ,or fear they may hunt me down and kill me lol lol

So it is possible to become inhouse by working hard in peak?

Don't get me wrong I'm not just working hard just to get "in", but I'm just curious with the state of hiring with UPS right now if this guy is pulling my leg or not

evilleace

Yes it is possible to be in house after peak but with the economy the way it is I would not count on it at least not right away. Also you have a good attitude but buying the lunch I have never heard of the helper doing that.

jthor99

Yes it is possible to be in house after peak but with the economy the way it is I would not count on it at least not right away. Also you have a good attitude but buying the lunch I have never heard of the helper doing that.

He did look at my kind of funny when I bought it. I was told by someone who works for UPS right before I got to job 3 things.

Always be clean shaven. Check

Work hard and show up on time. Check

And buy the driver lunch. Check

I didn't think those 3 things were that difficult. Heck, that guys been busting his butt in a truck for years, and I'm a 23 yr old kid with a bunch of energy and stamina.

My theory is this and I told him this. "We both have familes, and we both just want to do our jobs and go home. Miswell work as hard as we can while doing it , so we can go home". I'm not the type of person who can just sit around and watch others do stuff. Drives me nuts. I rather just work hard, and the next thing you know your shift is up and your going home

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

thor, I have been able to get 3 of my former helpers hired on a permanent basis. However, they had to wait until March or April before they started, but they have all stayed on and are all hoping to drive some day.

BTW, your driver should be buying you lunch. $28.55/hr is a bit better than $8.50 or whatever they are paying you.

Saaga

Driver Helper
you are the driver helper and you are buying him lunch? that's different:happy2:

When I was a driver helper back in 2005, I offered to buy lunch one day. The driver just looked at me and said something like, "There's no way that I'm letting you buy lunch with as much as I make in a year. In fact, I'm buying you lunch." After he shared these figures with me, I totally agreed with him! LOL

helenofcalifornia

Jthor, nice on your part to buy him lunch, but that must be one cheap-ass driver that lets you buy him lunch. If I was the driver, I would be ashamed to take your money. As you can see by the above responses, no one thinks you should buy your driver lunch.