Driver leaves in underwear

P

pickup

So what you are saying is

I aint your mamma

And

clean up after yourself.

Interesting concepts. Problem with them is the part time sups that will rant about the time it takes........Something you mentioned as well.

dannyboy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That last problem you mentioned is right. Let's say that a trailer backs in and the sup is right there as the loader detaches the strap. I can just imagine the sup yelling at him if he took the time to reattach it to the other side.

I don't mind being someone's mama at times. Plenty of times I was sitting on my feeder butt in the building .waiting for a trailer to be loaded and waiting for the moment for when they say I can take it. More times than I can remember, I will get the nod from the loader as he starts walking to another trailer that the trailer is ready to be pulled. there still on the ground is the dock plate, just a relatively thin piece of metal that will fall 4 feet to the ground on the outside when the truck is pulled. Also many times, there will be small spools of wires on the back on the trailer that are just ready to roll backwards when that trailer is pulled (can't always close the doors until you get away from building and away from other trailers. So, instead of wasting my time telling them how they should do their jobs(which they already know), in a lesser amount of time I move the dock plate and put the spools on their sides or reorient them so that they won't roll back. I welcome the extra exercise. Plenty of times when I was back there in the building , I put the restraining strap (if there was one) in its proper position or in a place where it wouldn't fall out and get dragged and damaged.

Also, I will look to see if there are any hazmat papers and if so will look to see where the package is , it is supposed to be on the back. If it is a liquid :75 percent of the time, the arrow on the hazmat box is not pointing up, I will reorient it. As I have stated in another thread, it may or not be my job to do this, but the dot believes it is and I will also be the one to have to deal with and explain to the state trooper or d.o.t officials about that liquid that is leaking through my trailer.

All I was saying , from a safety and cost standpoint, three extra seconds for the unloader to safely reattach the safety strap or 20-40 extra seconds for a shifter feeder driver to unsafely do it, while holding up yard traffic or causing the guy waiting with a loaded trailer who needs to back into the same door to wait while he does it. 3 extra seconds equals a useable strap, . to not do this is risking the strap being useless and ordering a new one or not having one when one is needed.

bluehdmc

I guess they dont use retaining straps up where you are located.

d

Gee, what are retaining straps, or load bars for that matter, usually you can find all the load bars on the unload doors, never in the outbound. Why don't the have the irregular cart drivers distribute the loadbars at the beginning or a sort?
As far as "where you are located" I've put trailers on doors from just about everywhere shifting at the Meadowlands, and you got a 50/50 chance there is a load bar. Usually if they are swing doors there isn't one. I've had 100+lb packages fall out of a trailer, just push it to the side and put the trailer on the door. I really like the geniuses that put tires or reels in a trailer and don't put them on there sides.

over9five

Staff member
Every trailer that is 90% or more should have a load retainer. There should be no exceptions, this is (should be) a safety issue.

A shifter driver opening barn doors is at huge risk of having something heavy fall on him from 10 feet above his head.
Also how many times does the load fall against an overhead door? You can't open it, and we have to get a fork truck to raise the door. You always end up with torn up boxes.

P

pickup

Gee, what are retaining straps, or load bars for that matter, usually you can find all the load bars on the unload doors, never in the outbound. Why don't the have the irregular cart drivers distribute the loadbars at the beginning or a sort?
As far as "where you are located" I've put trailers on doors from just about everywhere shifting at the Meadowlands, and you got a 50/50 chance there is a load bar. Usually if they are swing doors there isn't one. I've had 100+lb packages fall out of a trailer, just push it to the side and put the trailer on the door. I really like the geniuses that put tires or reels in a trailer and don't put them on there sides.

you poor guys at the meadowlands(seriously) , many of your inbound trailers come in through the silvanco(?) road entrance. After these guys check in on the phone, they then go up the hill and drop the trailer on top deck (for example). You guys at some point come and get that trailer and when you do open the doors, all the boxes that fell against the door when it went up the hill fall out. When I go there with a fully loaded trailer , I try to use the county avenue entrance if I can so that there is no hill to push the contents back .

That hill comes in handy once in a while . A few times I hooked up a set of doubles there but couldn't get one of the doors to come down all the way because of the boxes shoved against the door. So I went down the hill and once straightened out and pulled to the side, I hit the brakes. Went out back and was able to close the door because the packages moved up just enough. Works like a charm. The only thing is you have to attach an end of a piece of rope or twine to the door and attach the other end of the twine to the chain at the bottom near the trailer floor on the back of the trailer. Otherwise, when you do this with the brakes. the boxes will move up and the trailer door will go up on the rollers. and then some(or many) of the boxes that were against the once partially closed door will fall out. I know this, because the first time I pulled this stunt, I didn't even think about using rope or twine. Oops!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I ran in to several agents from California when i attended the banquet here for Steve where he received the labor leader of the year award.

The agents were extremely confident in this case needless to say. That was almost two weeks ago, has any one heard anything on this driver recently?

old'n'brown

I have not read read all the posts for this, However I am having the same kind of situation. I have worked for UPS 34 yrs. Since my production numbers are no longer good enough, the powers that be have decided to give me a third sporh ride. This time I was taken into the office with the mgr., sup., and two shop stewards. I was told I was getting another ride and that I was going to do what the sup. told me to do. I asked the mgr. " if he was going to make me park in the red and block driveways?" To which he replied "yes". I asked him again "you are going to make me work illegally?" To which again he replied" yes". Both shop stewards were witness to this and both signed a documenty to this fact. Not only did they make me park in the red/fire lanes , they made me double park, park in a manner as to leave front or rear of vehicle sticking into traffic lanes. They also made me dr condos with common walkways, dr unsecure apt bldgs, and dr a couple hous's where you could see pkgs from the street. They also told me it was o.k. to walk across lawns, and go in and out of the driverside door. I was told earlier by the division mgr that they would'nt tolerate me not working by the safe work methods, and that I was not to go in or out the driverside door. We are now in the grievence process. I can't imagine UPS could get away with these issues. we'll see. You have to work as directed................Talked to a lawyer, who told me I have to first exhaust the collective bargaining agreement process. If at the end of that process UPS is still making me work illegal........then she has a friend who would be happy to take the case. I called the local police dept. They said parking in fire lanes anywhere is illegal, double parking is illegal, blocking driveways is illegal, and parking with front and, or rear tires more than 18" from the curb is illegal. guess we'll see.............

I have not read read all the posts for this, However I am having the same kind of situation. I have worked for UPS 34 yrs. Since my production numbers are no longer good enough, the powers that be have decided to give me a third sporh ride. This time I was taken into the office with the mgr., sup., and two shop stewards. I was told I was getting another ride and that I was going to do what the sup. told me to do. I asked the mgr. " if he was going to make me park in the red and block driveways?" To which he replied "yes". I asked him again "you are going to make me work illegally?" To which again he replied" yes". Both shop stewards were witness to this and both signed a documenty to this fact. Not only did they make me park in the red/fire lanes , they made me double park, park in a manner as to leave front or rear of vehicle sticking into traffic lanes. They also made me dr condos with common walkways, dr unsecure apt bldgs, and dr a couple hous's where you could see pkgs from the street. They also told me it was o.k. to walk across lawns, and go in and out of the driverside door. I was told earlier by the division mgr that they would'nt tolerate me not working by the safe work methods, and that I was not to go in or out the driverside door. We are now in the grievence process. I can't imagine UPS could get away with these issues. we'll see. You have to work as directed................Talked to a lawyer, who told me I have to first exhaust the collective bargaining agreement process. If at the end of that process UPS is still making me work illegal........then she has a friend who would be happy to take the case. I called the local police dept. They said parking in fire lanes anywhere is illegal, double parking is illegal, blocking driveways is illegal, and parking with front and, or rear tires more than 18" from the curb is illegal. guess we'll see.............
Good luck Old'N Brown. Remember the first rule of backing, NEVER BACK UP.

Omega man

Cuba?

Back to the OP--I assume he was fired for insubordination. He can and should grieve this and will probably have it reduced to a suspension, time served with/without back pay. I would be curious as to how far he had to drive to park legally and whether the double parking would really have been that much of an issue. I try not to double park but there are instances where I have no choice. Well, to be fair, I do have a choice, but double parking provides me the most efficient manner in which to make the deliveries as I would have to drive around the corner and then use the hand cart.

Work as directed.

Sorry, no. You do not have to work as directed if you are being told to violate the law. Efficiency has nothing to do with it. UPS must give you the time to do your job safely and within the law.

bigblu 2 you

old n brown, who would be at fault if they towed the vehicle in or gave a ticket for parking violation,or what if customer called in a complaint for walking in yard{some are picky}what if you fell getting out of truck on drivers side?ups always wants their cake and numbers too at the expense of me and you.keep us up on your grievance,good luck and stay strong.

klein

Für Meno :)
I had one single sup, that made drive alongs a nitemare, same as above mentioned.
Every other sup, or even big shot safety sups were happy with my driving, and delivering practises.
Just this one idiot wasn't.
I almost walked off the job along with him.

When I heard, he'll be doing another drive along, (this was about 6mths later).
I had it all set up to walk off the job this time.

Asked my fedex roomie (at the time), to keep her cell phone on.
(she worked close to my area).
Told her she may need to pick me up, since I might walk off the job.
I was totally prepared for it, trust me.

But, he never did drive along with me, just so happened someone had an accident, and he was going along on his route instead.
And, I never had to go thru that "torture" , again.

But, darn prepared I was !

And I bet, the "underwear guy" was, too.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had one single sup, that made drive alongs a nitemare, same as above mentioned.
Every other sup, or even big shot safety sups were happy with my driving, and delivering practises.
Just this one idiot wasn't.
I almost walked off the job along with him.

When I heard, he'll be doing another drive along, (this was about 6mths later).
I had it all set up to walk off the job this time.

Asked my fedex roomie (at the time), to keep her cell phone on.
(she worked close to my area).
Told her she may need to pick me up, since I might walk off the job.
I was totally prepared for it, trust me.

But, he never did drive along with me, just so happened someone had an accident, and he was going along on his route instead.
And, I never had to go thru that "torture" , again.

But, darn prepared I was !

And I bet, the "underwear guy" was, too.

I couldn't imagine letting another person bother me that much, not even my wife.
Have you ever been diagnosed as having low self-esteem? :wink2:

klein

Für Meno :)
I couldn't imagine letting another person bother me that much, not even my wife.
Have you ever been diagnosed as having low self-esteem? :wink2:

Maybe too much self-esteem, not willing to be treated like that , ever again !
How can someone spend a whole day with a jerk, without wanting to leave at 1 point or the other ?
I normally don't put up with that crap.