Driver leaves in underwear

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie

While on the ride, your butt is covered because the sup is riding in the car with you. You work as instructed, then grieve.

The issue that sober brings has nothing to do with what occurred in the thread, but it is still a valid point.

The sup instructs you to double park on the road today to help bring your paid day down. He does not ride with you, but you were still instructed.

There are a lot of "instructions" that have been given to me over the years that would have 1 gotten me fired, 2 if I would have been able to prove the instruction, would have gotten the sup fired.

The problem lies with the responsibility for those instructions.

I believe any instruction important enough for me to follow should also be important enough to reduce to writing. That way, all is well in Brownsville.

d

trickpony1

I haven't read all 161 posts on this thread but has any one mentioned that when a driver gets a ticket, whether for parking violations or over weight loads, it appears on the drivers record?

The company acts llike it's no big deal for a PC driver to have a bunch of parking tickets on his record. I know some feeder drivers that have several over weight violations on their record and even though the company pays the fine the violations don't just disappear from the driver's record.

P

pickup

I haven't read all 161 posts on this thread but has any one mentioned that when a driver gets a ticket, whether for parking violations or over weight loads, it appears on the drivers record?

The company acts llike it's no big deal for a PC driver to have a bunch of parking tickets on his record. I know some feeder drivers that have several over weight violations on their record and even though the company pays the fine the violations don't just disappear from the driver's record.

When you say "driver's record", I assume you mean "driver's abstract" , which is a document you can get from your state d.m.v. that reflects the relatively recent history of your license: suspensions, dui's , moving violations. I don't believe parking tickets are entered on the abstract.

tieguy

Banned
None of this changes the fact that I will be charged with an accident if I park illegally and someone hits me or gets in a wreck trying to get around me.

I could care less what happens to the supervisor. My concern is strictly limited to what will happen to me.

The point again would be that the sup has that responsibility to make the decision on a double park and pays the price if someone hits your car.

tieguy

Banned

We pull driving records every year. I have yet to see a parking fines and overwieght violations do not show up.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Trick, parking violations are non-moving. They won't show up on your record.

Over-weight violations are moving violations. The issue of them being on your record is something that I had not considered and I am not sure of the points invovled. If citations happen frequently, the risk of going over point limits would be an issue. To many points = suspended license. Feeder drivers, any answers?

over9five

Staff member
Last year while TO'ing, I got pulled over and cited for no rear plate on my tractor. (None of them have them).
Will that be on my record this year?

P

pickup

Trick, parking violations are non-moving. They won't show up on your record.

Over-weight violations are moving violations. The issue of them being on your record is something that I had not considered and I am not sure of the points invovled. If citations happen frequently, the risk of going over point limits would be an issue. To many points = suspended license. Feeder drivers, any answers?

Haven't had to deal with issue directly(as I have yet to get a ticket) as I drive at night and so the few weigh stations I encounter are generally closed at night. Also, my theory is that a tractor trailer comb is not going to be overall overweight but overweight on an axle, particularly the tractor axle under the fifth wheel . My preemptive solution to this is if I have a trailer that is 75 %full, is that I will back it up in a straight line for about ten feet and hit the brakes, toppling the back walls of the loaded packages inside the trailer, causing the contents to fall backwards and distribute the weight more evenly in the trailer and taking some weight off that fifth wheel axle in particular. Works so far as I get the green light at the weigh station(the few times it is open).

I'll ask around but it's hard to get answers. Fellow feeder drivers are like porcupines. We like to huddle around each other for warmth and camaraderie on our breaks and then get pissed off at each other when we poke each other with our quills. i make it a point (bad Pun) to sheathe my quills but many don't do the same. So a lot of times, even when I am surrounded by fellow feeders, I have my shields up.

I know this for a fact , from my over the road friends from other companies, that I use to know , who got log book violations left and right. It appeared on their abstracts, but not as a moving violation nor were points assigned to these violations. It would be my belief that overweight violations are treated at most, the same. Don't know and so far , haven't had to know.

bluehdmc

Last year while TO'ing, I got pulled over and cited for no rear plate on my tractor. (None of them have them).
Will that be on my record this year?

It shouldn't be, it's not a moving violation like speeding.
Actually it's not a legal ticket, your tractor is registered in Illinois, which doesn't require a rear plate.
Yes, cops do give out "not legal" tickets, (for lack of a better name), I once worked for a public works dept. It was explained to me there that certain things, (like stop signs on local town streets, or stops signs at the exit to a shopping center) have to be put up by ordinance, the sign has to be a certain size, height, etc. Same with no parking zones. The town may put up parking signs etc, and the cops may even write tickets for them, but if the ticketee fights the ticket, it will get dismissed in court. Most people will not want to deal with the hassle and pay the fine. At least this is the way it is in NJ.
When it comes to trucks most of your local police aren't aware of commercial vehicle requirements, and will write or not write a ticket due to this lack of knowledge. The one that gave you the ticket was probably just trying to make up his quota. (Oh wait they don't have quotas, they just get told they aren't being "productive" enough.)

over9five

Staff member
It shouldn't be, it's not a moving violation like speeding.
Actually it's not a legal ticket, your tractor is registered in Illinois, which doesn't require a rear plate.

I did try to explain that to him.

Oh yeah, this was Mass State Police too, not a local. You'd think he would know!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Blue

They dont use the word quota, they prefer "revenue enhancing".

That revenue enhancing is a big thing here with the cuts made to the police departments.

One sheriff took the county to court to be able to give his officers a raise and hire 12 more.

The outcome was that he was able to hire 9 of the 12, but no raises.

So on one sound bite he was saying how there would be more officers out protecting the people, and the next he was complaining that he could not keep officers, as the pay was so low, even McDonald's paid more. So funny.

But seriously, one of the big things now is that the officer needs to be doing revenue enhancements (some call it fund raising) to help keep his salary where it is. So now most deputies shoot radar to catch speeders instead of patrolling and crime detection and prevention.

As for the problem of overweights, Pickup, you are damaging packages when you do that.

The only time I know of when UPS has had overweight problems is when we pick up a lot of small heavy packages. Like boxes of books. If the loader puts all of them over one axle, then there is a problem. But it should not happen that often.

d

P

pickup

Blue

They dont use the word quota, they prefer "revenue enhancing".

That revenue enhancing is a big thing here with the cuts made to the police departments.

One sheriff took the county to court to be able to give his officers a raise and hire 12 more.

The outcome was that he was able to hire 9 of the 12, but no raises.

So on one sound bite he was saying how there would be more officers out protecting the people, and the next he was complaining that he could not keep officers, as the pay was so low, even McDonald's paid more. So funny.

But seriously, one of the big things now is that the officer needs to be doing revenue enhancements (some call it fund raising) to help keep his salary where it is. So now most deputies shoot radar to catch speeders instead of patrolling and crime detection and prevention.

As for the problem of overweights, Pickup, you are damaging packages when you do that.

The only time I know of when UPS has had overweight problems is when we pick up a lot of small heavy packages. Like boxes of books. If the loader puts all of them over one axle, then there is a problem. But it should not happen that often.

d

danny , I have "weighed" the matter in my mind a long time ago and based on the all the considerations, it doesn't matter . And now I will tell you why I think it doesn't matter. I only do this on one particular run which at some point has very steep hills to climb. The end result is the walls topple over anyway. so you might ask why I employ my method if gravity is going to do it anyway? Well, before I hit those hills, there is a weigh station on the way there and I want to make sure I am good axlewise. I found whether or not I do this (and I don't do it if the trailer is 50% and some contents spread out, or 95%,which means spreading it out aint gonna do much re-distribution. ), the end result is the same. Whether or not I employ this method, when I open the trailer door, the back walls have all collapsed and the walls behind those one have already avalanched to some degree.

Coming back the other way, I don't even bother because I have to climb those same hills and gravity is going to do the job before I hit that weigh station again.

P

pickup

I guess they dont use retaining straps up where you are located.

d

they generally will use them only when the trailer is close to being fully loaded or fully loaded so that stuff doesn't fall out when pulling off or onto the bay door. And even in these circumstances, odds are less than 50 % they will use the retaining straps or bracing bars .

P

pickup

I guess they dont use retaining straps up where you are located.

d

also, quite a few of these restraining straps get damaged when the shifters pull them off the bay doors and park them in the yard. The reason why is that the unloaders only detach one side of the restraining strap (which is sort of like a spiders web when used) when they are about to unload a trailer and they push the detached part of the strap to the side towards the back of the trailer.

After it is unloaded, a shifter will come and pull it away and as he does , part of the restraining strap will fall onto ground , still attached to the trailer. When the shifter backs up the trailer, that part of the strap will go under the back axle and get ripped apart and will no longer be functional. Even if the next guy who moves the trailer throws it back into the trailer before moving it, the strap is now a piece of garbage.

unfortunately, this costs ups a lot of money but if every unloader were to take the extra three seconds to push that part of the strap back towards the front, that cost could be cut down dramatically and they will have straps to use when they need them

also, quite a few of these restraining straps get damaged when the shifters pull them off the bay doors and park them in the yard. The reason why is that the unloaders only detach one side of the restraining strap (which is sort of like a spiders web when used) when they are about to unload a trailer and they push the detached part of the strap to the side towards the back of the trailer.

After it is unloaded, a shifter will come and pull it away and as he does , part of the restraining strap will fall onto ground , still attached to the trailer. When the shifter backs up the trailer, that part of the strap will go under the back axle and get ripped apart and will no longer be functional. Even if the next guy who moves the trailer throws it back into the trailer before moving it, the strap is now a piece of garbage.

unfortunately, this costs ups a lot of money but if every unloader were to take the extra three seconds to push that part of the strap back towards the front, that cost could be cut down dramatically and they will have straps to use when they need them
It wouldn't hurt the shifter to check for this as well.

P

pickup

It wouldn't hurt the shifter to check for this as well.

But that would mean they would have to get down out of the tractor. And you know how likely that would be.....

d

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good gentleman, I knew I left that opening and you both saw it , and ran your points right through. I knew I left that opening but didn't have the time and energy to partially close it and I now I will attempt to do so.

You both are partially right, the guy in the shifter could take care of it. But to make himself aware of the problem, he has to take an extra 20 seconds and exert himself with a lot more effort than the unloader who initially handled the restraining strap. At some point that metal male bracket was in the unloader's hand as he disengaged it from the female bracket on the inside of the trailer. When he disengages the last one, instead of walking it over to the other side and reengaging it to another hole, he walks it over and throws it towards the side and towards the back so that the harness is out of the way. He can't throw it towards the front because there are boxes in the way.

So after it is unloaded , the shifter gets the call and comes hook up . He honks the horn, backs up, stops just before fifth wheel touches trailer and gets out and walks the driver's side of the trailer and yells "coupling" as he walks and bangs the side of the trailer and listens for signs of activity as well as voices protesting saying 'hold on, we ain't finished yet" or something to that effect. Now he is at the back of the trailer but because it is flush with the bay door, he is lucky if he able to be able to see a peak of the inside of the building through the crack between the trailer and cement blocks around the edge of the bay door, but he can't see into the trailer itself to see if there is a strap there and if it is close enough to the back to fall out.

Now that the driver is satisfied that there is no activity inside trailer, he steps back into the shifter and honks horn and backs up under the trailer, As he hooks up the glad hands of the air hoses, he might even bang one more time and yell "coupling". He hears no activity or voices yelling out and steps back into the shifter and raises the trailer and pulls out.

Now, if he really wanted to ascertain that there was a strap that might fall out , he would have to stop the shifter after moving 4 feet or so , get out and walk to the back and see and if so, he might simply throw the piece of metal with the accompanying strap towards the front. Sometimes that won't work as the strap is going to fall out anyway due to bumps, the incline of the trailer and any inclines he has drive over. So, now he would have to climb the dot bar on the back and use and potentially bang his knees to climb into the trailer and get uniform dirty(for which he would later get yelled at for having a dirty uniform ) and reattach the metal of the strap. We are talking about an extra 20 to 40 seconds and we all know some feeders can't make that climb. Plus this is not part of the methods and adds time to the "move" and the people in the yard control part of the feeder department have to now wonder why their "time per move" is going up.

The job would take three seconds for the unloader to do, with metal buckle already in hand and he doesn't have to climb and risk injuring himself to hook it up to the other side. 40 seconds for a feeder driver to do while dirtying himself and risking injury. Which one seems more time efficient and safe?

And yes, I have on occasion when just about to back a trailer with the truck and trailer on a slight angle and thus was able to see the yellow strap hanging, and then I got out and threw it right back in knowing that the 40 feet I needed to back up wasn't going to add enough force to have the buckle bounce back off the trailer. You can argue that this would be the time to look and take care of a potential strap problem. Still adds 15 second to 20 seconds to the process and at that point, you might be blocking the yard unnecessarily too long to do a task that could have easily be done by another person who once held that buckle in his hand

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
So what you are saying is

I aint your mamma

And

clean up after yourself.

Interesting concepts. Problem with them is the part time sups that will rant about the time it takes........Something you mentioned as well.

hhmmmm

d