Driver probation extended

BrownBaggage

So I started my probation March 3rd and it started off very :censored2:ing rough for me. Especially when this coronavirus stuff has had everyone ordering :censored2:. I’m pretty sure under any other circumstances I would’ve been dq’d by now. However, they actually have been working with me and see that I’ve been giving 110%. On my 3rd ish going on 4th week I started to scratch just a little and then the center manager went on vacation so they extended it. He comes back tomorrow and I’ve now scratched maybe 9 days in a row. Some days by like -113 -130 -87 -36 -64 and stuff like that. What’s your thoughts? This is after my numbers were like 200 clicks over allowed and :censored2: like that on multiple occasions lol. Do I still have a chance? A great deal of people are telling me I would’ve been dq’d already if that’s what they had planned, And my probation ends I believe Wednesday or Thursday. Thoughts? I know it’s the inevitable on this website but please keep the trolling to minimum.
Talk to your shop steward ASAP. He/she and the union should be counting the amount of days you’ve worked so far. If you worked 30 days or 60 days in total passed, you’re in no matter what. Check your pay stub every Friday and see if union dues were taken out. If they were, it’s too late and now you’re in the union and guaranteed a job scratch or not.

35years

Gravy route
Our center has given 10 day qualification extensions to EVERY probationary driver for the last two years.

Some make it, some don't. The 10 day extension just allows the center to have more drivers without committing to them.

The ones they let go are on day 39. The ones they keep they don't inform that they made it until day 60 or so.

They try to let some go past the 40 day mark (they worked over 40). One driver was already a union member (part timer). He filed a grievance when UPS told him he didn't make it on his 45th day driving. The Union fought it and he is a seniority driver as a result.

If you came from off the street it is questionable that the Union would fight for you...you are not a member yet.

So the extension means nothing except they needed your body 10 more days. If they are short drivers your chances are 10 times better than if they have enough.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
So keep track of the days worked.

Then when you get, say, a week past the extension deadline contact the union and ask why your dues have not been taken out since you are on day 46. They will want the dues. They then have an interest in making sure you are on the books.

Don't say anything to management especially if you are unsure how many days you have in. Just keep driving.

Last edited:

Tom Jefferson

Our center has given 10 day qualification extensions to EVERY probationary driver for the last two years.

Some make it, some don't. The 10 day extension just allows the center to have more drivers without committing to them.

The ones they let go are on day 39. The ones they keep they don't inform that they made it until day 60 or so.

They try to let some go past the 40 day mark (they worked over 40). One driver was already a union member (part timer). He filed a grievance when UPS told him he didn't make it on his 45th day driving. The Union fought it and he is a seniority driver as a result.

If you came from off the street it is questionable that the Union would fight for you...you are not a member yet.

So the extension means nothing except they needed your body 10 more days. If they are short drivers your chances are 10 times better than if they have enough.
Must vary state to state cause here you know when you’ve passed. And here not everyone gets extensions. Some people even get on a district call when they’ve passed.

ManInBrown

So I started my probation March 3rd and it started off very :censored2:ing rough for me. Especially when this coronavirus stuff has had everyone ordering :censored2:. I’m pretty sure under any other circumstances I would’ve been dq’d by now. However, they actually have been working with me and see that I’ve been giving 110%. On my 3rd ish going on 4th week I started to scratch just a little and then the center manager went on vacation so they extended it. He comes back tomorrow and I’ve now scratched maybe 9 days in a row. Some days by like -113 -130 -87 -36 -64 and stuff like that. What’s your thoughts? This is after my numbers were like 200 clicks over allowed and :censored2: like that on multiple occasions lol. Do I still have a chance? A great deal of people are telling me I would’ve been dq’d already if that’s what they had planned, And my probation ends I believe Wednesday or Thursday. Thoughts? I know it’s the inevitable on this website but please keep the trolling to minimum.
Go to your local big box store and buy an industrial size barrel of lube. You’re gonna need it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Talk to your shop steward ASAP. He/she and the union should be counting the amount of days you’ve worked so far. If you worked 30 days or 60 days in total passed, you’re in no matter what. Check your pay stub every Friday and see if union dues were taken out. If they were, it’s too late and now you’re in the union and guaranteed a job scratch or not.

Not true.